twin cam RT did any have a fuel strip

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
the twin cam RT oil cooled ,that went from 2010 to 2013 did any have a fuel strip or were they all a float system.and if so what year did they change

Change was 2010 but I think some of the very early ones had the strip still.

Definitely some 2010 MU bikes have a fuel strip, I know because my mates 2010 RT caught fire and we replaced the complete wiring loom & ZFE module. Everything worked fine, but we think the ZFE is from a later 2010 bike without the fuel strip, because we can't get the gauge to work, even though we removed the fuel strip and re-calibrated it. I have a Motoscan tool and we checked all the coding. His bike is a bit of a crossover model, it's a twin can MU bike but has the same old style forks as my 2005RT.

IIRC the pinouts are different between the ZFE with fuel strip and float, I think you need to do a bit of pin swapping to convert from strip to float rather than just plug and play, so going back the other way would presumably need changes also?

You can only go strip to flo
IIRC the pinouts are different between the ZFE with fuel strip and float, I think you need to do a bit of pin swapping to convert from strip to float rather than just plug and play, so going back the other way would presumably need changes also?
Yup, You can only go Strip to float if you have the right ZFE - i think its the High unit (Three types Low - Basic- High) and as PuK says some repining and a session on a GS911 or Motoscan

yes agreed, but both the original ZFE and the replacement are "ZFE High" but the date codes are a few months apart, the original is date code Week 35 2009 and the replacement is WK14 2010, so I think it's from a 2010 MU bike with float not strip, hence the problem.

Is there any way I can tell visually whether my 2010 bike has the strip or the float?

Is there any way I can tell visually whether my 2010 bike has the strip or the float?
Not that I know of, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your fuel gauge works. I've had my 2005RT 7-8 years and the fuel strip still works fine.

I think mine has been replaced at some time in its life.
It seems to work ok but the remaining range appears to be calculated at 65mpg whereas I'm only achieving about 45-50mpg which seems a little odd.

Yes I think there is, the earlier 2010 had the “old” style front forks and the fuel strip. They went through an update in late 2010, front forks changed and the fuel strip for the float type. Hope this helps.

If it's faulty, just fit the eliminator available from Motoworks for £50 and use your trip counter like real bikers :)

Yes I think there is, the earlier 2010 had the “old” style front forks and the fuel strip. They went through an update in late 2010, front forks changed and the fuel strip for the float type. Hope this helps.
That's right... my neighbour's 2010 plate RT has the old style forks & definitely has a fuel strip. After we replaced the complete wiring loom & ZFE module last year due to a fire, we can't find the correct ZFE version, one off the later MU 2010 bike works in every way apart from the fuel gauge, this is probably because it's looking for a float type gauge.

Back
Top Bottom