livigno/stelvio

sutty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi people,i have 8 days to spare in september 6th/13th and me and the boss want to do the stelvio.i know people will say why but i just want too and stay in livigno for a night so my questions are is it doable in the time i have and tips and route advice is welcome,:bow

We left Cheshire Friday lunchtime did the Garmisch event , then had a day doing a couple of passes including the Stelvio , then went and did an evening at the Nurburgring the next day and then came home . I was back at work on Wednesday, so I’d say yes 8 days is perfectly doable .

Is it possible, staying in Livigno, to ‘do’ the Stelvio? Yes. Can it be done in eight days? Yes.

What is it you want to know?

How to get there? If so from where?

How to get back again from Livigno / the Stelvio to wherever it is you need to get back to?

Here’s a starter for 10.... https://kurv.gr/7lGwa

rushy

thanks for that,funny you are the 1st to answer as we too are setting off from manchester,i chatted to you once at a bike meet bmw at the windmill once you had an 1150 i think.you dont have a rough route for the journey do you as we wanted to do nurburgring last year on our trip but the weather was horrendous cheers.

wapping

cheers for the reply,setting off from manchester,channel tunnel 1st digs just short of arras want to try and avoid to many motorways if poss.i know we will have to use tolls somwhere,scenic will be nice ,big miles dont phase us,but not everyday.going back via tunnel to sunny manc 8 days later.:bow

cheers for the reply,setting off from manchester,channel tunnel 1st digs just short of arras want to try and avoid to many motorways if poss.i know we will have to use tolls somwhere,scenic will be nice ,big miles dont phase us,but not everyday.going back via tunnel to sunny manc 8 days later.:bow

Now: Calais, Arras, ‘ring, Stelvio, Livigno

https://kurv.gr/nQfZD

All without touching a motorway. 873 miles in half your time away = 4 days of 220 miles each day. Easy.

Interestingly enough, I'm likely to be in the very same area at the very same time. Despite what seems on the map, it's still a fair hike down to Livigno from the Stelvio as it just seems to take ages. In Livigno go along to the lake, we had stunning weather first time there and average second time. Alpine Village resort is worth a punt to stay in, though it's just above the main area of Livigno.

hi people,i have 8 days to spare in september 6th/13th and me and the boss want to do the stelvio.i know people will say why but i just want too and stay in livigno for a night so my questions are is it doable in the time i have and tips and route advice is welcome,:bow

There on 10th Sept myself. Like you have read it's not all it's cracked up to be but got to do it as passing by on the way to the lakes.

There on 10th Sept myself. Like you have read it's not all it's cracked up to be but got to do it as passing by on the way to the lakes.

The only thing I've ever had an issue with is the getting there from the Bolzano side, it really is a ballache, other than that, I've loved it everytime I've been and going again when you guys are there.

Wapping can that route be put in my nav 5 cheers

Yes.

There are instructions on the Kurviger site as to how to do it but here are some screenshots from my iPad. My tip is, play around in Kurviger to get the hang of it. Create any old route, say from where you live to London or anywhere you are familiar with. Then export it to your GPS device. Did it work? Does it look right? If so great, you’ll now know how to do it with other Kurviger routes. It didn’t work? OK, try again. Play about, you can’t break it.

c1451093cf287ccbf8f0a32f5c668ee3.jpg

afc408955a6c6a937b7cb106f9ed8af1.jpg

927a063e10ca5760907e49f5de806780.jpg

2d686dd8aafd7ba9512e7a18593e35b1.jpg

250609b9f3a5be843610b0beb7e47078.jpg

This may help:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/346969934" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/346969934">Kurviger Tutorial - Create and Export to BC</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user3141361">dcarver220b</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

PS Some words of advice. I haven’t checked the route that Kurviger offered up. On the face of it it’s not bad though. I’d definitely break it up into days, rather than load it into your device in one go as a single route. Always check ALL routes (irrespective of how they were created) on your GPS device BEFORE you leave home. It’s much easier to check them inside your front door, than sit cursing in the middle of a field in Germany. If you have problems, use the GPS section of UKGSer, there’s a specific sub-section for Kurviger and the MyRoute app’s

Cheers for your replys and will play with kurvinger and work it out thanks wapping

Interestingly enough, I'm likely to be in the very same area at the very same time. Despite what seems on the map, it's still a fair hike down to Livigno from the Stelvio as it just seems to take ages. In Livigno go along to the lake, we had stunning weather first time there and average second time. Alpine Village resort is worth a punt to stay in, though it's just above the main area of Livigno.

Pish!

Livigno - Bormio - Passo Stelvio is less than 40 miles in less 1 1/2 hours.

Wapping, I understand you are a big fan of Kurviger (I am too) but, to be fair, he can spare the first few hundred miles of French B roads taking the motorway all the way towards Reims and then point towards Metz or Nancy. Saves him several hours (if not a day in total back and forth) of travel time.
I've been traveling to Italy by motorbike semi-regularly over the years and there is really no need to waste time over the first bit after Calais. Just clear it as quickly as possible. ;)

i know people will say

Stelvio is overrated :)

Enjoy your trip.

Wapping, I understand you are a big fan of Kurviger (I am too) but, to be fair, he can spare the first few hundred miles of French B roads taking the motorway all the way towards Reims and then point towards Metz or Nancy. Saves him several hours (if not a day in total back and forth) of travel time.
I've been traveling to Italy by motorbike semi-regularly over the years and there is really no need to waste time over the first bit after Calais. Just clear it as quickly as possible. ;)

Stelvio is overrated :)

Enjoy your trip.

Agreed - that's what I do too!

He wanted to avoid motorways, as they all do.

I just wanted to create something simple for the bod to look at, only because (in a very roundabout way) he’d asked for routes and then expanded the request to include Arras and the ‘ring into his total of eight days away ending in Livigno, via the Stelvio. Kurviger is just a convenient way to do it. I had hoped - in the tip at the end - that when he looks at the route, the distances he wants to travel, the time spent and the roads it has taken him down, he’ll amend it to suit his needs. The alternative is to map it out fully for him, road by road.

PS His eight days maybe includes a day getting from home - Manchester, we discover, after pushing him a bit - to Calais / Arras and another day back again. Bods often forget this. If so, he’s down to six days. He’d better get up a bit earlier if he wants to avoid motorways, lap the ‘ring, do both sides of the Stelvio and be chilling with beers in Livigno by 14:30.

I just wanted to create something simple for the bod to look at, only because (in a very roundabout way) [...]

I get it.

He wanted to avoid motorways, as they all do.

I understand. IMHO, the sensible advice there is: suck it up ad put as many miles as quickly as you can after Calais until you are after Arras or closer to Reims :)
I've tried many alternatives to motorways over there – just a (boring) waste of time. Better to get to the nice routes (south) quicker.

By the way, northern France apart, I wanted to thank you because I discovered Kurviger when you first started posting about it, and it has been quite handy more than a few times when traveling in areas I didn't know well. :)

Back
Top Bottom