Keyless Fuel cap won't open now

Two bolts removed with the torx that is fitted under your seat and you are sorted.

If something that simple leaves you stranded, you’re fecked if you get a puncture or god forbid ya indicator rattles itself loose :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There’s a few around here that should take to the stage rather than ride motorcycles :D

Always that patronising member.....

Two bolts removed with the torx that is fitted under your seat and you are sorted.

If something that simple leaves you stranded, you’re fecked if you get a puncture or god forbid ya indicator rattles itself loose :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There’s a few around here that should take to the stage rather than ride motorcycles :D

I guess you could always buy a Yamaha S10, no keyless ride crap there!

Always that patronising member.....

Yep, and there always that one manner that predicts the end of the world for a minor issue that is easily solved. We are typically rather predictable :thumb

As Longdog couldn't, Wouldn't answer my question, Ill give my experience of Keyless.
Ive been using it since 2015, when it came, without requesting it, on my 2015 GSA. Initially I was curious as to how this would work. But very quickly I transitioned. The fact that I didn't need to physically remove the key from my Bottom right pocket. And put it in a key hole, To turn the bike on. The fact I could pull up at a fuel stationed simply lift the fuel cap without removing a physical key from my bottom right pocket and fill up , made a difference. Especially when your hands are cold and wet. I've also read about the very rare cases of the fuel cap not opening. This did actually happen to me , directly after fitting a Givvi Tank lock ring. It was a known issue if overtightened. The claim of losing the key, or riding away without it too is puzzling, As instantly on the dash you are warned. When touring, I always carry the plastic emergency key, and as of today, since 2015, I've not needed it.
So, Id love to hear other experiences that suggest its crap. And as to why its crap.

Keyless fob is a minor irritation for me, when i first got the bike the key was kept nearby or in the tank locker, then the battery in the fob would drain so realised i had to keep the key out of range.
I now keep the key in my flat but every time i get the bike out, get geared up and ready to go i remember the key is upstairs in the cupboard:blast

Another experience is losing the key out of my pocket while riding, took almost a mile of riding before the key out of range alarm popped up on the display, I was very lucky to find it undamaged in the road after retracing my steps.

Opening the fuel tank at first was a little bit tricky but i never failed to open it, I did lubricate the latch with WD-40

You don't like keyless then ?
Because you forget to get it from your cupboard, and you didn't securely hold it in your pocket ?

Although worthless, this is my experience :D
When i received my keyless GS i did wonder how this would improve things.

First i like that i dont have a bunch of keys hanging out of the bike and scratching things or someone grabbing them (happening to a mate years back at a red light)
i also like just leaving my keys in my pocket all the time, i can put them in my safest pocket and its doesnt matter if its zips and velcro thats hard to open with gloves on

Now, i did have an issue at a petrol station once.... my own fault for not RTFM
i couldnt open the cap and was getting a little embarrassed as a car was behind me.
I was trying to open the cap and the ignition was still on lol, i basically pulled up left the bike in 1st and killed the engine.

Ive since learned that it opens every time 2 seconds after pressing the ignition button to off :blast

2 things i would like BMW to change though......
The button moving, i know its not impossible to reach but its a little obscured by the bars, worse if you have risers.
as i said above i can keep my keys in my pocket.... unless im using my panniers then the keys have to be used, would be nice to have keyless panniers or at least locks we can buy to fit.

Would i request a keyless bike next time? absolutely.

i wont request a BMW sat nav though, i paid £550 for a sat nav and end up using my phone almost every time. thats another story!!!

Minutes. The cap will remain unlocked for 2 minutes. If you need another 2 minutes the turn ignition on then off again.

Nope, as long as you have your fob near, the cap will stay unlocked. I have tested this (as per the handbook). If you walk into the garage with the fob in your pocket and having not turned on the ignition the cap will open. If you later return without the fob, the cap will be locked. If you are riding the cap is locked, when you stop you wait x time and the cap is released.

As with Onahi, I like the keyless ride.

The fuel cap is easy. Ride into the fuel station. Turn off the ignition and open the fuel cap. Shut the fuel cap when you have finished fueling.

Of course the keyless system is more useful on my 1600, than on my 850 GSA, as the 1600 has central locking. I just bought a dumb key for the 850’s panniers and top box. That way the electronic key can just be clipped into the inside pocket of my jacket and stay there (along with my single house key) reducing the risk of me losing it. I do though take the small plastic spare key with me, in case of the ultimate emergency. I also keep a pound of butter in the fridge.

Does the bike ping up a warning if the key is out of range? Yes, very reliably. Does it refuse to start if the key is not in pretty close proximity to the bike? Yes.

Did the conventional key on my earlier 1200 GS / GSA go wrong? Yes. It succumbed to the worn switch problem, which all but left me stranded. Hey-ho, the life of the Adventure biker.

You don't like keyless then ?
Because you forget to get it from your cupboard, and you didn't securely hold it in your pocket ?

Yeah, yeah, I know, my own personal short comings but i prefer a key

As with Onahi, I like the keyless ride.

The fuel cap is easy. Ride into the fuel station. Turn off the ignition and open the fuel cap. Shut the fuel cap when you have finished fueling.

Add a smart watch to that and you dont even have to take your gloves off, pay for the fuel contactless with the watch ;)

I now keep the key in my flat but every time i get the bike out, get geared up and ready to go i remember the key is upstairs in the cupboard:blast

And exactly how would forgetting to bring the FOB be different than forgetting a regular key when it comes to operating the bike? :aidan

And exactly how would forgetting to bring the FOB be different than forgetting a regular key when it comes to operating the bike? :aidan

Cos it would be left in the ignition switch as with my old bike for last 10 years parked in my garage ;)

Then leave your key in your jacket pocket or helmet?

Have always hung my jacket next to my bike in the garage so if my key was in it, it would still be in range.

However I’ve now decided to hang the bike jacket in the flat with the key in it from now on :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom