Remote key after 3 new batteries.

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im still getting the "Remote key weak. Limited operation" message on the TFT after fitting three new batteries. :nenau
Also, Is anyone aware of a 12V helle din extension lead ? (Hella male, to hella female)
TIA

Might be your fob is fucked. There was a spate of fobs that drained their batterys very quickly and were replaced under the warranty. But some peeps were given the run around by their stealers and had to fit one of "theirs" first, at an exorbitant price compared to what you can buy on the market. Only then would they consider warranty claims. Also its one of those "never heard of that problem before" mantra they spout.

Its been ok for 20K miles and nearly two years ?
Bit strange ?

Take it straight to dealership and get a new key fob. Had exactly the same issue on a '67 R1200 GS Rallye. tried a few batteries incl a 'BMW special one' and made no difference. New key fob was ordered under warranty and has since fixed aforementioned problem.

Take it straight to dealership and get a new key fob. Had exactly the same issue on a '67 R1200 GS Rallye. tried a few batteries incl a 'BMW special one' and made no difference. New key fob was ordered under warranty and has since fixed aforementioned problem.

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:D:D

Here's the rub.
The warranty is up beginning of April. Ill get it in for its service, And the end of warranty check. However, I've gone 1,500 miles over the service interval, Got caught out on a European trip late last year. I did contact them, But he just sucked air through his teeth and said "hmmmmmm not sure its covered now"
Oh well,Ill find out mid march !

The time is ok, its just the mileage.

Ahh ok i see now. Surely your dealer will look after you ? Its not that much over. But having said that my nephew had a brand new XR in his garage and for one reason or another after its running in service it just sat and dis nowt for two years with 700 miles on the clock. Dealer said no warranty because he’d missed the first annual service. made his piss boil i’ll tell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key fob been through the washing machine? Don’t ask ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Changed mine a few weeks ago (bike just over a year old) with a Duracell replacement. Was out yesterday, only to find it throwing up an error message again. Invested in a pack of 4 Energiser Lithium Max from Tesco. Hopefully it was just a rouge duff one.

I've not had this before, on my 3rd Keyless bike. Batteries and fob have been fine. I keep asking if the whole pack of six batteries are dud? Very unlikely !

I've not had this before, on my 3rd Keyless bike. Batteries and fob have been fine. I keep asking if the whole pack of six batteries are dud? Very unlikely !

Not a BMW but I had a similar issue with an Audi A4, both key fobs were acting as if the batteries were going flat ,went to a local car shop and they checked if the fobs were emitting a signal showing the batteries were okay and they were (new ones) .
Despite this fobs would not reintroduce themselves to the cars ECU and although they would start the car they would not activate any of the vehicles remote functions (tried three or four methods as outlined both on owners forums and by dealer mechanics and none worked.
Main dealer said I needed two new keys at £140 a pop, in the end spoke to a company who supply aftermarket keys and they said if i could get access to VCDS software (the equivalent of GS911 in BMW bikes) I could easily sort it .
I have VCDS and recoded both keys using VCDS Adaption codes and in less than 5 minutes had two fully functioning remote key fobs.
It is possible that your fob may not be faulty it is just that its signal is not being read or received correctly by the bikes ECU, worth looking into.

Not a BMW but I had a similar issue with an Audi A4, both key fobs were acting as if the batteries were going flat ,went to a local car shop and they checked if the fobs were emitting a signal showing the batteries were okay and they were (new ones) .
Despite this fobs would not reintroduce themselves to the cars ECU and although they would start the car they would not activate any of the vehicles remote functions (tried three or four methods as outlined both on owners forums and by dealer mechanics and none worked.
Main dealer said I needed two new keys at £140 a pop, in the end spoke to a company who supply aftermarket keys and they said if i could get access to VCDS software (the equivalent of GS911 in BMW bikes) I could easily sort it .
I have VCDS and recoded both keys using VCDS Adaption codes and in less than 5 minutes had two fully functioning remote key fobs.
It is possible that your fob may not be faulty it is just that its signal is not being read or received correctly by the bikes ECU, worth looking into.

I think this may well be the issue. The key allows the alarm to arm etc, Then the next time it wont recognise the key. Im sure I read somewhere that there is a time limit on switching the batteries and that there is some procedure for it to reconnect ? The Manuel says nothing.

Ah Onahi ... the same happened to me this very morning ... put a new battery in on 6 December ... went out this morning and the same message popped up ...all was well though... said it may limit the central locking etc .. I have changed it just in case.I shall wait and see ......

Ah Onahi ... the same happened to me this very morning ... put a new battery in on 6 December ... went out this morning and the same message popped up ...all was well though... said it may limit the central locking etc .. I have changed it just in case.I shall wait and see ......

Thats it. Let me know how you get on.

Roughly same time scale and error message as mine. Very weird.

Another one here.
2016 bike with 34k on the clock. New battery in the fob in November (2025 rather than 2036 so I put a bit of gorilla tape on the back to take it from 2.5mm to 3.6mm). The bike hasn’t been anywhere but when I powered up to check something I got the keyfob battery warning.

The first two digits of the battery number are the diameter in mm and the second two are the thickness of the button so I know I have the right fit.

I suppose I’ll try a new 2036 first as mine is out of warranty.

Oh - mine have been through the wash too - about two years ago so I donkt think that’s an issue.

Oh great - low battery warning ⚠️ “Well do you feel lucky? Do you?”

Back
Top Bottom