North Germany and Baltic States - Devon trf,help needed please.

crumbles

C*ntry Bumpkin.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am a member and this was posted on the site.
so i thought i would ask on here for him....

"Next year in June, I am planning to take a couple of bikes in a Van to Northern Germany, possibly Kiel. We are then going to ride up into Denmark and on around the Baltic states, leaving the van in Germany.

Has anyone got any advise, guidance, good ideas as to where we might leave the van or who to approace, or have done anything similar

In fact any advice would be useful, we won't be dirt riding but using as smaller roads as we can find to make it interesting. We are planning to eat, drink and join in as many local activities as we can. Not camping though (too old for that)
Trevor "

Any help would be appriciated...
Thanks Mike...

could leave the van with my mate near rendsburg. for a few beer tokens and go to the viking days show...

it'll give you a feel for it all

www.wikingertage.de

there's loads of places to visit

Atlantic hotel in hamburg, catch a beer with Udo Lindenberg, Lubeck, Usedom the V2 missile sites in Pennemuende, cross into Poland Mausurian swamps, the wolf's lair, Kaunas fort, riga for lunch.... cross on the ferry to Finland helsinki for Vodka... stockholm and back via Goteburg the bridge into copenhagen for the carlsberg tour... flensburg for the flensburg brewery tour....

Cheers,i will paste it across to him....
Mike..

Nine months to go, plus God knows how many of enforced Covid semi-isolation and this is all Trev and his mate has managed? Not the greatest of efforts, is it?

Tell him to get an atlas, as dumping the van in Kiel and going to Denmark (Jutland, I guess) when the destination is the Baltic States might not be the smartest move. Some clue as to how long the bod and his chum has to ride the ‘small roads’ from Kiel to wherever in the Baltic States and back to Kiel to presumably pick up his van again might be handy.

PS There are a load of German stickies and things on the Baltic States, all free to look at. Point him to them.

One free tip. Many of the small roads are not shown on some maps.

ADAC do a ‘Road map’ set for about £15, which come in a pack, covering the whole of Germany. Get it.

Product Details
+
Germany on a set of 20 double-sided road maps at 1:200,000 from ADFC – the equivalent of Britain’s AA. Cartography is the same as in MairDumont’s perennially popular ‘Marco Polo’ series at the same scale, but presented in a smaller format and with more prominent highlighting of interesting locations. The set is supplied in sturdy zipped pouch with also includes a separate booklet containing an index. Each map covers two numbers shown on our coverage image (1+2. 3+6, 4+5, 7+11, 8+9, 10+14, 12+13, 15+18, 16+17 and 19+20) conveniently combining adjoining regions.

The maps boldly stress main roads and motorways in strong colours and main towns in large letters, but also show minor roads and villages in considerable detail. Road information includes toll roads, traffic restrictions and seasonal closures, gradient marking for steep roads, scenic routes, border checkpoints with restrictions, etc. Motorway services clearly indicate types of facilities available there. Railway network includes narrow gauge and tourist lines, and indicates car-loading terminal. Ferry connections show passenger only or car transport with, where appropriate, seasonal dates. Picturesque towns and natural areas of interest are prominently highlighted in contracting colours. Other tourist information includes campsites and youth hostels, various landmarks, ADFC offices, etc. The maps are particularly good for identifying geographical features: mountain and hill chains, valleys, national parks, etc, Latitude and longitude grid is drawn at intervals of 10'. An index for all 20 maps is in a separate 71-page booklet. Map legend, conveniently shown on both sides, is in German and English.

I think mine was about £8, bought years ago on a whim in a petrol station somewhere in Germany. It has proved invaluable.

Currently listed as out of stock in Stanford’s but here it is, so Trev’s mate will know what to look for.....

https://www.stanfords.co.uk/germany-adac-road-map-set_9783826460548

Cheers Richard,
i was only posting it for him,as i belive he is in the early stages in planning at the moment i belive....
Mike.

No worries, he has to start somewhere.

All leg pulling apart, that is quite a jaunt (distance wise) that Trev and his chum are asking for, over which they want things to see and do
In fact any advice would be useful, we won't be dirt riding but using as smaller roads as we can find to make it interesting. We are planning to eat, drink and join in as many local activities as we can. Not camping though (too old for that)
but with no clue given as to how long they plan to set aside to do it all in, nor how far they intend to ride in any one day along the ‘small’ roads.

Germany is a big place and the Baltic States are not small per-se, whilst it’s not clear as to why they want to go to Denmark, nor to which bit of Denmark. I’d recommend they get:

A. A decent map or two. One or more detailed and one general.

B. A guide book, like the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide or Michelin’s offering.

C. Work out which political region(s) that part of Germany lies in. Then go to KurvenKoenig and other similar sites to see what their PDF’s throw up. Alternatively, lob the political region’s name and the word ‘Motorrad’ into the World Wide Web, to see what Google might provide. I don’t know the German expression for ‘dirt bike’ * or similar, though it can’t be hard to find out, though that might find then riding across fields.

D. Look at bicycle websites. They, by their nature, use ‘small roads’, often very suitable for motorbikes. I did a post once where I cut a bicycle journey across France into a gps file, which looked pretty good. Similarly, old cars (Germans often label them ‘Old Timer’ in English) websites may well give some ideas. I copied one across Belgium, which was excellent.

E. There is nice a fellow on the site who comes from the Baltic States, who did a piece on them. It might be worth a look.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...sted-route-through-the-three-Baltic-countries

In short, Trev and chum can use a bit of imagination, I imagine.

* I assume they are taking their TRF bikes? But, maybe not? For all we know one is on a FireBlade and the other on a scooter.

Here’s a start.....

https://www.inspirock.com/germany/things-to-do-in-baltic-sea-coast

Found by Googling ‘Things to do German Baltic’ just five words.

https://www.tourism.de/baltic-sea/

And we haven’t even got to the Baltic States yet.

Surf about:

https://bikearoundbalticsea.wordpress.com/about/

How about this, found by Googling ‘Germany Baltic motorcycle’, just three words:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6vkBaw0kZuM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Drop the bod a message via YouTube. Who knows, he may share his GPX file. It’s always free to ask.

Here’s another, found just by clicking on another video listed on YouTube:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0SPXgI4r-ns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Again, contact the bloke, he may well have other webpages and might share the route he took to make the video..... or he might not. It’s worth a free punt.

The TRF bods could play around in this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/506370-A-useful-set-of-ideas-for-touring-Germany

Hopefully this thread will show the bods from TRF how much there is out there but you have to spend a bit of time and imagination finding it. There is no off-the-shelf ‘This is the best way go go’ from Kiel to the Baltic States (via Denmark???) and back again in an unknown number of days. Not least, the north Germany coast is not the most popular destination for blokes on motorbikes from England and the Baltic States even less so. The Alps, Black Forest and Harz are much more popular, not least as they are nearer and are not written off as ‘Flat and boring, mate’.

There is lots to see and do, all along the Baltic coast, into Poland, then into the Baltic States and, not least, coming back again...... and you ain’t even touched Denmark. To get them started, ask them to surf around in the German / Baltic sub-sections. They might do worse than stitching together some of the ready made routes, to at least look at them on a decent map. Then thy can fine tune them to suit. Will they be perfect? Who knows, not least as none of us know anything about Trevor and his friend. If they have a week to get there and back, then they had better get their skates on. If they have a month or more, then they are really cooking on gas.

There's loads of agricultural roads that criss cross Schleswig Holstein, nothing very challenging but good fun.... Most of the forrest roads are not free to access as they're designated as wildlife reserves, there's roads really snall roads that would run all round the edge of the baltic..

I might ask my mate what he knows about it all...

Devon trf,help needed please.

Yup, you can spend days anywhere, ripping up the turnip fields or chilling with like minds...... but eventually, you have to get to the Baltic States and back again, apparently.

Here’s some possible ideas of ways to maybe go from Kiel to the top of the Baltic States, ripped from assorted posts and threads in the travel sections of UKGSer. I have tried to put them into some sort of sequence.

7ede3ecc1abae8dc4080bc2b9a4a4d1b.jpg

2d13845ac67c907595813dba5d26ab80.plist

5df5d01acbca733321649d336d2a7a04.jpg

ef77e3ac482c4170a536a08ebf267119.jpg

a01e97b459da3d29b4cf5a2bc62e7ade.jpg

8214b2cf712e3a5e259b7a170e33667c.jpg

8e030d11695266a011f570b777ca2bb1.jpg

cee466432db9f79e4601a7e8a7de747d.jpg

And a couple I found lying around:

221c1577f02f7a81a36f04fd7d860b94.plist

9b67866f1560d196b61d85670350d614.jpg

7ca345d521a1dca9968d73e94f53bb4c.plist

The last one is maybe interesting as it suggests coming back by ferry. Bods often forget that they have to come back from places, too.

Here is something knocked together in under two minutes in Kurviger, doing nothing more than putting five place names in sequence, on my iPad. It’s 2,000 km which, if nothing else, highlights the challenges set when somebody asks, “Tell me how to go on little roads, with things to see and do and places to stay”. You’d pay a lot of money (rip off, mate) to someone to organise that for you.

6151fa820e7a345f5f67d724ebb6730a.png

https://kurv.gr/GQbeB

I think the pair of them could make that lot into a pretty good tour but they will need to:

A. Make a bit of effort and apply some imagination. They know themselves and what they want, way better than anyone else. Time is definitely on their side in the planning department.

B. Get some paper maps, particularly if they intend to take ‘small roads’. Using Google maps and ViaMichelin or some of the assorted ‘Tell me how to go from A to B’ software like Kurviger is great but they’ll maybe not have their PC with them all the way. Paper maps, some paper and a pencil will not let them down, trust me on that.

C. Work out how long they have got A to B and back to A again. The more time they have, the more they can do, if they want to do it.

It would be great if they could share what they plan to do and what they finally did. UKGSer is free (or just £12) and it’s given them some help. Some reciprocity goes a long way in this section.

One last suggestion.

Tour organisers sometimes put maps of the tours they organise (and charge for, the absolute shits) and sometimes just about enough details for anyone to work out where they must be going and staying.

Here’s an example. It has a basic map, whilst the blurb tells you enough (in a foreign language, because that is what they speak but I don’t) to all but recreate it.

https://www.schnieder-reisen.de/reiseart/reise/motorradreise-durch-polen-und-das-baltikum-3/

Here’s another. You can pretty quickly see that there is one all but preferred route to get across the three Bsltic countries, within the time period constraints.

https://kearider.com/motorcycle-bike-tours-balticstates.html

Google something like: ‘Kiel to Tallinn Motorrad’ or just about any similar combination of words. Then surf about. It’s free and they can’t touch you for it.

Cheers Richard,your always a mine of information to every body who post,s...
Can you help me please...
Mike..

Thanks Richard...i posted this below into the thread starter on the Dtrf site posting...

UKGSER,S... is a mine of information,

its not just a site about BMW,S...its ALL bikes......

For all places around the world in which ppl have travelled.there is a miriade of travel reports from Mongolia to Sudan and other points around the globe..

For a £12 subscription it is well worth every penny..

Mike..

Excellent.

I hope they sign up, not least as trail riding of all sorts is popular here, too.

If I turn up anything more, I’ll add it in.

have replied to PM, will start wheels in motion to line my mate up...

The locals of Schleswig Holstein are looking forward to meet you.

Attachments

• thumbnail_friends.jpg
    thumbnail_friends.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 148

Back
Top Bottom