Which is your preferred pannier setup

Which panniers do you prefer?

• Total voters
Twenty pages,minimum.
Surely your preferences vary based on what bike you are riding, where you are going, solo or two up, hot or cold etc etc ?
For example, if I’m away on my RKS I’ll use the built in panniers.If I’m two up on ATAS then I’ll probably use the Bumot ally jobbies and possibly with the pannier toppers if a long trip, as g/f always packs too much.
But if I’m solo I’ll try just take a roll bag or use Bumot soft luggage (Xtremadas).
Too many variables.

If I had to have hard boxes, only Vern’s do it for me.

But I’m much more of a fan of soft luggage these days. Bumot are good, I really like the Mosko Moto reckless units, and the Giant Loop equivalent.

Oh and the Guzzi panniers are perfect for the 70’s, they have enough room for a packet of JPS, a copy of Fiesta and a couple of cans of Double Diamond.

It's down to length of trip, camping or hotels, which bike I'm using blah, blah....
It's either hard panniers with a bag across the back seat or a top box and bag
across the back seat but seldom hard luggage all round.
Eg, Top box and bag for hotels. Panniers and bag for camping.
I like a bag on the back seat for lifting off and taking into hotels.

Generally hard panniers for me, for road tours

The BMW System panniers for me are great, reasonably light (compared to the 1200 Vario set up) and totally waterproof

Easy to use and when combined with inner bags, it's a 1 minute job to unload both panniers and go to hotel reception ( I don't camp)

More aerodynamic than alloy boxes and 1200 Vario style panniers, together with no bungees or straps flapping about - makes for fuss free travel

I sometimes use a top box too

Just debating soft luggage for the Tenere 700, I will probably go with that option with Wolfman Expedition Panniers, on TT frames and see how I get on

Going soft luggage (with Exped Inner bags) on that bike as I want to do multi surface touring on that

Attachments

• P1010692.jpg
    P1010692.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 607
Soft panniers for me because I’m not bothered about someone pinching my socks (no-one ever has) and with a bag inside easy to take in/out for accommodation. They’re light weight, waterproof and leg safe. Also very good value for money - Enduristan monsoon 3.

Depends where you ride too.
I certainly would be cautious of riding with soft panniers in UK these days ,due to the thieving scum.Anywhere else in Europe is pretty safe though.

I like the Givi E45 topbox and E21 pannier setup. Boxes are narrow enough to enable filtering in most situations. XR in the Vosges, RS in the Pyrenees.

Attachments

• 2019-09-21 11.29.21-1.jpg
    2019-09-21 11.29.21-1.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 589
  • 2019-06-23 14.12.27-1.jpg
    2019-06-23 14.12.27-1.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 597
I am probably weid but if I am just going to a rally for the weekend or a few days either side, I use my Verns panniers, everything chucked in, if I am going away for a longer time, I generally take way more care over what I take, and use the Magadan's I normally take way less if going away for 10 days or so, never ever use a top box, hate the damn things, just a lomo bag with the tent in

Top loaders, prefer robust materials like aluminium, don’t like corrosion, don’t like a lot of aftermarket offerings as they are a compromise and stand off from the bike too much. I was very happy with the BMW OEM aluminium panniers on my GSAs, but I didn’t like the salt damage.

Already been said...

Hard for security. Top loaders are way better.

Soft for trip with lots of off-road if security less of an issue.

Unless you're riding with a pillion (or camping I suppose) there's no need for a top box when panniers are fitted. If you need one, you've got too much stuff. all you need for a helmet is a cable lock...

I wouldn't entertain a top box. My Vern 10" panniers are on custom built mounts on my S10 and are narrower than the bars so filtering isn't an issue. Everything for a ten day camping trip fitted in the boxes. If I need more on a longer trip I'd use Lomo bags either across the back or on top of the panniers using the integrated tie downs.

I'm looking at replacing the S10 with a lighter more off road orientated bike and will go with soft luggage on that.I was impressed with th eflexibility and capacity of the Mosko Moto kit that I saw on Tim's Iceland trip last August.

Been there, done that with all options and ended up happy (unless camping), all you need for a couple of weeks can fit in a relatively small space.

For me,that small space is a well secured 25l rear seat bag and a small tank bag.

Within the rear bag, I have a couple of 10l dry sacks, which I use for any dirty washing and they come in handy for any 'overspill'.

I can park up and be in my hotel room, showered and ready for a beer whilst any pannier laden mates are still fiddling with their gear.

Already been said...

Hard for security. Top loaders are way better.

Soft for trip with lots of off-road if security less of an issue.

Unless you're riding with a pillion (or camping I suppose) there's no need for a top box when panniers are fitted. If you need one, you've got too much stuff. all you need for a helmet is a cable lock...

We don't all use full-face helmets!

Top box holds my overnight bag and my right pannier holds all the camping gear. Left pannier holds some tools, etc. and extra clothes for more than one night.

Back
Top Bottom