Extending wiring harness to OEM nano fog/aux lights

P248

Reaction score
I have searched the forum for an answer to my query but can't find anything so I'm hoping someone who sees this can help.

Has anybody extended the wiring harness to the oem BMW nano fog/auxiliary lights by cutting the existing harness and soldering in new cables between the cut ends? I want to move the aux lights on my R1250GS from the BMW auxiliary light bracket under the nose to the engine bars. The existing harness is not long enough. If you tried extending the harness in this way, did it work ok? Did the mod throw up errors on the TFT? If errors did show on the TFT, can they be cleared with a Hex GS911?

My query is particularly about the harness for the current BMW "nano" aux lights, not the earlier model of lights. I want to continue using the standard switch in the mirror base. I don't want to make any other mods to the electrics, only to extend the length of the wiring to the aux lights. Nor do I want to drive the lights through an Ezcan or similar.

I've asked my dealer, but he doesn't know whether it can be done or not. I imagine I could use the GSA version of the harness, but I'd like to avoid the expense of doing that if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

No reason it won't work if all you are doing is putting and extra length of cable inbetween where you cut it. So long as you connect the correct wires the Canbus won't care

Just buy the GSA loom.
Much easier and faster to do.

+1.

The GSA loom is not expensive.
Considering the time and effort it would take to extend the current loom, let alone making it a reliable extension that will take the abuse of future mud spray and potential powewashing, it's a nobrainer.

Further investigation suggests that the small size of the existing wires makes it them very difficult to solder . Anyway, I've been lucky enough to source a second-hand GSA harness so I'll go down that route.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone has tried and succeeded.

Anyway thanks for the input. As far as I'm concerned this thread can now be closed down.

Further investigation suggests that the small size of the existing wires makes it them very difficult to solder . Anyway, I've been lucky enough to source a second-hand GSA harness so I'll go down that route.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone has tried and succeeded.

Have people succeeded in soldering thin wires? Most definitely, yes, for years. Here’s a self-help video, though others (and words) are available.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fopGW8T3Avs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/27139/thin-wires-tips-for-stripping-and-soldering

Has anyone done it to extend the leads that lead to auxiliary lights on a specific BMW motorcycle? Does it really matter if they have or haven’t? All that’s important is that it can be done, just like soldering any other thin wire. It’s only wire, after all. Of course holding the wires in place whilst you solder. if you haven’t removed the loom from the bike, might well be a challenge. It’ll be fun trying, I’m sure.

I soldered all the leads on the aux light set up on the GS

The lights only came with plugs and pigtails, so 2 rolls of 5 amp cable & some string to braid the cable i had made up the required harness's to get back the the relay & battery

then its just 10 mins to solder & heat shrink the joints, finish with some fibre wrap and connect .

I have searched the forum for an answer to my query but can't find anything so I'm hoping someone who sees this can help.

Has anybody extended the wiring harness to the oem BMW nano fog/auxiliary lights by cutting the existing harness and soldering in new cables between the cut ends? I want to move the aux lights on my R1250GS from the BMW auxiliary light bracket under the nose to the engine bars. The existing harness is not long enough. If you tried extending the harness in this way, did it work ok? Did the mod throw up errors on the TFT? If errors did show on the TFT, can they be cleared with a Hex GS911?

My query is particularly about the harness for the current BMW "nano" aux lights, not the earlier model of lights. I want to continue using the standard switch in the mirror base. I don't want to make any other mods to the electrics, only to extend the length of the wiring to the aux lights. Nor do I want to drive the lights through an Ezcan or similar.

I've asked my dealer, but he doesn't know whether it can be done or not. I imagine I could use the GSA version of the harness, but I'd like to avoid the expense of doing that if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

HI how are you planning on mounting under the nose to the engine bars. i want to fit a set to my 1250 hp but want a tidy bracket to do this thanks greg

Greg, I moved my oem fog lights from the BMW under nose mounting bar down to the engine bars using these https://www.denalishop.co.uk/denali-21-29mm-led-light-mount.html and these https://www.denalishop.co.uk/bmw-oem-light-mount-adapter.html. I used the torx head screws from the BMW mounts to bolt the lights to the mount adapters, the bolts that come with the adaptors weren’t quite long enough. I also used some M6 washers as spacers between the adaptors and the BMW brackets so that the fit was tight. You’ll also need M8 nuts, bolts and washers to fix the adapters to the light mounts.

Greg, I moved my oem fog lights from the BMW under nose mounting bar down to the engine bars using these https://www.denalishop.co.uk/denali-21-29mm-led-light-mount.html and these https://www.denalishop.co.uk/bmw-oem-light-mount-adapter.html. I used the torx head screws from the BMW mounts to bolt the lights to the mount adapters, the bolts that come with the adaptors weren’t quite long enough. I also used some M6 washers as spacers between the adaptors and the BMW brackets so that the fit was tight. You’ll also need M8 nuts, bolts and washers to fix the adapters to the light mounts.

Btw, I tried the Touratech bar mounts first, but they didn’t work for me. The engine bars (BMW oem) sit very close to the cylinders and the length of the oem fog light from the mounting point to the tail-end of the light is too long.

Well, I finally got round to completing the wiring of the OEM fog lights relocated to the engine bars on my GS. (I know I’ve been talking about it for a while!). I decided to try extending the GS harness before shelling out for a GSA harness. I used 11.5 amp thin-walled automotive cabling and solder and seal connectors. When I connected up the extended harness everything worked correctly and no faults came up on the TFT.

Back
Top Bottom