Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

This is going really well.

:popcorn

Oh yes, there will be a few who know me well who'll be smiling now.

The acreage of my Kaitum 3GT takes some believing, and then there's pitching one alone in a gale force wind....good luck with that :D

IMG_1719-XL.jpg

Ange loves it though (the tent)
P1020468-XL.jpg

P1010349-X2.jpg

P1030537-X2.jpg

I hear Billy Smart is selling some off cheap.
P1010422-XL.jpg

My opinion. too big.
Quite heavy but not too heavy. Pack size might be fairly big.
You'll have fun putting that up if it's windy.
I thought you didn't want a tunnel type tent.

Bloody hell thats expensive..,......

4.1 kgs is not a heavy tent! :blast The 400g difference between the two tents you mentioned is nothing. Yes, it’s a bigger tent but like I keep mentioning it’s not just for me to use. I also wanted a tent with a “square” sleeping area because when you put my sleeping mat in (197cm) and me on top in a sleeping bag my feet would be pushing on the inner tent if it was one of the “sloping” inner types. Not good. Plus when my son and his girlfriend use it to go down to the Alps they can put their mountain bikes in the vestibule out of sight.
The tent is bought and will be taken to Iceland. :thumb2 The “extra” weight won’t be the thing that will cause any possible problems over there. My riding capability will be. And that won’t be because of the “heavy” tent!
I’m 6’1” and 19 stone. The best thing I can do to improve any possible problems is lose at least 4 / 5 stone. 400g is not worth worrying about with that in mind.
After talking to Tom earlier ( Smug ) another bit of kit I was planning to take has been kicked into the long grass so there’s a bit more weight gone. :thumb2
You could also say the 1150 is too heavy and I should get a lighter 1200/1250. It’ll be what it is.
I’m certainly not dismissing what you are saying Tim, far from it. :thumb2 I appreciate and welcome all the advice you have to offer.

I’m 6’1” and 19 stone. The best thing I can do to improve any possible problems is lose at least 4 / 5 stone.

Is that in the pipeline ?
I ask as I am currently MTBing with a lad of similar proportions and we had that conversation on Thursday evening
'How do you get up the hills so easily?'
" I am 84kg...you are 124 kg....I'd be your pace if I had to carry a 30kg rucksack"

My opinion. too big.
Quite heavy but not too heavy. Pack size might be fairly big.
You'll have fun putting that up if it's windy.
I thought you didn't want a tunnel type tent.

Bloody hell thats expensive..,......
Too big if it was just for me, yes. But it isn’t. Pack size is surprisingly small for what it is. I’m going to practice putting it up in various conditions because I live on a campsite in a forest and have a big grass area to try it on. :thumb2

Is that in the pipeline ?
I ask as I am currently MTBing with a lad of similar proportions and we had that conversation on Thursday evening
'How do you get up the hills so easily?'
" I am 84kg...you are 124 kg....I'd be your pace if I had to carry a 30kg rucksack"
Emtb! :D. That’s what he needs.
I have plenty of time to lose a fair bit of weight and will do it. :thumb2
Because it’s been a gradual weight gain you don’t really notice it. I will notice when I lose it though.

Why? :nenau
Advice given so far and action taken:-

1. Subframe strengthening = not now doing it because it’s not needed
2. Tent make = several recommended Hilleberg = bought one ( bigger for family use too )
3. Top box = ditched in favour of a roll bag ( big weight saving )
4. Water filter thingy = not needed
5. Rear seat removal = done already ( another big weight saving )
6. Change of gearing for off-roading = 850GS final drive bought today ( off here )
7. Footpeg change = Fastway pegs bought ( off here )
8. Boot type = stronger / more supportive on the shopping list

So please don’t think any advice isn’t being listened to. :thumb2 It is and I’m taking action.
More advice is always welcomed too. :thumb2

I'll raise your 200 to 250 once he realises the importance of a good tent peg...........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Blokes a fucking idiot, who jus can't grasp that bowling green pitches for such a tent aren't ten a penny in the wilderness.

I'm done also!

Blokes a fucking idiot, who jus can't grasp that bowling green pitches for such a tent aren't ten a penny in the wilderness.

I'm done also!
Theres only 1 person showing himself up to be a fucking idiot and that’s you. Did you pipe up and call Timolgra a “ fucking idiot” when he took his identical one on a trip? Of course you didn’t. Why get abusive anyway? :nenau No need for that whatsoever. I don’t know where he took his but by looking at his pictures, he managed just fine. :thumb2 The tent I’ve bought is a bloody good tent and more than up to the job. If I was after a tent just for me to use then I’d have bought a smaller one. But it’s not. :blast I’m not expecting “bowling green pitches” anywhere but do you know what, I’ll manage! :blast

A single person tent in Iceland.

It was raining hard after a great days riding.

This camp site is remote in the Westfjords and reached through various natural features and historically significant buildings that test and consolidate riding skills.

A few metres before leaving the dirt track to pull into this field to set up camp there is a stream that turns into a deeper wider stream when it rains, it starts to become a little scary ( to me ) but the prize is worth it as we pull into a field which is a few metres from the open sea, drift wood debris and rusting pieces of old fishing kit.

There is a rough shack with two toilets, a sink and a tap for fresh water. The rain just kept coming.

I went into the toilet assembled my tent, inflated the mattress, put the sleeping bag in and then took it outside and pegged it down facing the sea. I decided to sleep with the tent door open so the tarp was thrown over.. lush. Silent clean air .. it was beautiful. Took a minute to find the flat ground and peg it down.

My vote is for a small tent..

6cc0b6b3176f6eefaa14dc681dc68eac.jpg

And then later the rain stopped ..

7e223149a59df42ee0cd3147384593a6.jpg

Probably mentioned,
One person in a bigger tent,it’s cold.
Daft as it sounds.
Pack some thermals,jic
Yep, Timolgra mentioned this and I’ve taken note. :thumb2. Thermal undies are on the list.
I’m going to give you a call next week about getting my 1150 in to you for a good overhaul. :thumb2

Why? :nenau
Advice given so far and action taken:-

1. Subframe strengthening = not now doing it because it’s not needed
2. Tent make = several recommended Hilleberg = bought one ( bigger for family use too )
3. Top box = ditched in favour of a roll bag ( big weight saving )
4. Water filter thingy = not needed
5. Rear seat removal = done already ( another big weight saving )
6. Change of gearing for off-roading = 850GS final drive bought today ( off here )
7. Footpeg change = Fastway pegs bought ( off here )
8. Boot type = stronger / more supportive on the shopping list

So please don’t think any advice isn’t being listened to. :thumb2 It is and I’m taking action.
More advice is always welcomed too. :thumb2

Just an observation. You say you bought it for family use as well. You could have let the family use you biker plus (which you said you've never used, and the family would love the fact that it goes up in a few minutes) and bought another smaller tent just for your own single use.
I'm sure it will be fine and if I decide to go again next year, you never know, it truly is a lovely place but we were blessed with good weather last year. I'll help you put it up if needed.

Back
Top Bottom