E10 Fuel - Morrisons

that's kind of open ended - uk gov website

It's your responsibility to make sure you use the right fuel for your vehicle.

BMW Motorrad

All models are compatible with E10. However the number of octanes needs to be compatible with the model according to user handbook.

so does that mean Twin Cams should only be using E5 super unleaded - as ABOVE 98 is the recco octane rating for this vehicle - and whilst it COULD run on E5 95 octane that's NOT recco

My 2010 twin cam states 95 minimum.
20210901-190434.jpg

YES that is saying it can run on 95 if its ALL you can get (which when they made the label was for E0% fuel)

Read the owners manual ABOVE 98 octane or expect reduced performance and economy

and if you check the uk gov site and what its saying, it doesn't actually say its compatible with E10 - its says the number of octanes needs to be compatible with the model according to user handbook. which is 98

the only good news is that the components, hoses, seals and plastic tank can cope with ethanol. It says nothing about if the engine can maintain delivering the performance and NVH it had when you bought it.

YES that is saying it can run on 95 if its ALL you can get (which when they made the label was for E0% fuel)

Read the owners manual ABOVE 98 octane or expect reduced performance and economy

Interesting. That matches exactly my experience.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

oh dear....

if you have many later BMW bikes they are designed to run on 98 octane

all K1300s
all R1200GS and 1250GS's from 2009 onwards

where its NOT possible to get 98 you can ride gently on lesser filth and hope

Oddity#1 in JB's table is that some manufacturers share same engines eg VW / Skoda / Seat yet they have different E10 compatibility start dates
Oddity#2 normal petrol is E10 and supreme petrol is E5 but std diesel is B7 and supreme diesel is also B7, or is that about to change? Both my diesels have 'use no bio' fuel warning stickers on the fuel flaps.............*$@#!

oh dear....

if you have many later BMW bikes they are designed to run on 98 octane

all K1300s
all R1200GS and 1250GS's from 2009 onwards

where its NOT possible to get 98 you can ride gently on lesser filth and hope

You might want to re-read a few manuals. Looking on the BMW website for a random manual I selected a GS from 2014. It says exactly the same as my 2016 R1200RS with an LC engine

"Recommended fuel grade Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10) 95 ROZ/RON 89 AKI"

The word Super might be confusing matters. 95 RON fuel is the bog standard unleaded fuel in the UK. The fuel labelled in UK fuel stations as Super unleaded is a minimum 97 RON.

I also have a 2016 S1000XR. The manual for this recommends using 97+ RON fuel for maximum performance but says that 95 RON will be fine. There is no recommendation to moderate my riding if using 95 RON fuel.

You seem to have fallen for the oft quoted fallacy that more octanes means better quality fuel. This is a myth. Ethanol is actually an octane booster so if you want more octanes, add a litre of surgical spirit to your tank of Esso Supreme+ to make it E10.

You might want to re-read a few manuals. Looking on the BMW website for a random manual I selected a GS from 2014. It says exactly the same as my 2016 R1200RS with an LC engine

"Recommended fuel grade Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10) 95 ROZ/RON 89 AKI"

The word Super might be confusing matters. 95 RON fuel is the bog standard unleaded fuel in the UK. The fuel labelled in UK fuel stations as Super unleaded is a minimum 97 RON.

I also have a 2016 S1000XR. The manual for this recommends using 97+ RON fuel for maximum performance but says that 95 RON will be fine. There is no recommendation to moderate my riding if using 95 RON fuel.

You seem to have fallen for the oft quoted fallacy that more octanes means better quality fuel. This is a myth. Ethanol is actually an octane booster so if you want more octanes, add a litre of surgical spirit to your tank of Esso Supreme+ to make it E10.
For my part, I never thought of high octane meaning it to be a 'better quality fuel'. Instead, my position is, my bike is smoother and quite noticeably gets more distance out of a tank of 98-100 than E10. Not sure my wallet is so happy tho after filling it with the 'good stuff'

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

u must have interesting user manuals,

Twin Cam manuals model 450
Recommended fuel grade Premium plus unleaded 98 RON alternative fuel grade Premium unleaded (slight power- and consumption related restrictions) 95 RON

Twin Cam manuals model 470
Recommended fuel grade Premium plus unleaded 98 RON alternative fuel grade Premium unleaded (slight power- and consumption related restrictions) 95 RON

S1000XR S_0D03 from 2015
Recommended fuel grade Super Plus, unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10) 98 RON for the S 0D03 there isn't even an alternate fuel recco

https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manuals/BA-Extern/IN/BA-INTERNET-COM/PDF/S_0D03_RM_0815_01.pdf

Back
Top Bottom