2022 1250 RT TFT

nightflight61

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm due to change my 1250GSA next year, and I think I'll be going for an RT. I had a test ride recently, and was very impressed. My concern though is with the nav system on the TFT and having to rely on the phone signal etc for the nav to work. Has anyone had any experience of using this system, and is it reliable? The other point that worries me is, what if the rules on using your data allowance abroad changes? We would then have to pay for data roaming, which used to be very expensive.

I'm due to change my 1250GSA next year, and I think I'll be going for an RT. I had a test ride recently, and was very impressed. My concern though is with the nav system on the TFT and having to rely on the phone signal etc for the nav to work. Has anyone had any experience of using this system, and is it reliable? The other point that worries me is, what if the rules on using your data allowance abroad changes? We would then have to pay for data roaming, which used to be very expensive.

You don't rely on phone signal. All maps are downloaded over WiFi to app before you set out so don't worry about data allowance.

I've been using it for nav only for 10k miles and after a shaky start it is now brilliant.

To plan routes on iPad I use iRoute and export .gpx file to cloud then download to phone.

To plan routes on iPad I use iRoute and export .gpx file to cloud then download to phone.

Nice , will try this. Not seen or used iroute before

I had my TFT software updated today so hoping its a similar experience to boxer.

It's been poor so far but I'll see after tomorrows ride.

Only issue I have had it sometimes takes a while to pick the phone up so I can use the sat nav.

Only issue I have had it sometimes takes a while to pick the phone up so I can use the sat nav.

Is the app asking permission to join your bikes network. This always happened until I set iPhone 11 to ignore home network. Now it’s a case of launching app, placing in wireless compartment then backing bike out and nav is ready to go most times.

This asking to join only happens now when I’ve been using a shop/cafes WiFi and have not set phone to forget new network upon leaving.

I always turn bike on before launching app.

I had my TFT software updated today so hoping its a similar experience to boxer.

It's been poor so far but I'll see after tomorrows ride.

I think my bikes on an older version (bought new late March). Things improved greatly for me when the app, for some reason, updated itself to version 3.2.0

I think my bikes on an older version (bought new late March). Things improved greatly for me when the app, for some reason, updated itself to version 3.2.0

MIne was May 21 so not far off.
Didn't take it out today for a test as they put down salt on the route I had planned so I'll check it locally over the next few days.

Is the app asking permission to join your bikes network. This always happened until I set iPhone 11 to ignore home network. Now it’s a case of launching app, placing in wireless compartment then backing bike out and nav is ready to go most times.

This asking to join only happens now when I’ve been using a shop/cafes WiFi and have not set phone to forget new network upon leaving.

I always turn bike on before launching app.

I will have a look. My TFT was updated on my first service so it might be better now.

Had some spare fittings so I now have a back up as I Have Tomtom on my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-105159_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-105159_WhatsApp.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 20211105_105231.jpg
    20211105_105231.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 466
Had some spare fittings so I now have a back up as I Have Tomtom on my phone.

The problem if found when I tried mounting my phone above the dash, is that it disrupted the airflow under the screen, which created a lot of turbulence.

The problem if found when I tried mounting my phone above the dash, is that it disrupted the airflow under the screen, which created a lot of turbulence.

I did not think of that but i have not tried it yet.

You don't rely on phone signal. All maps are downloaded over WiFi to app before you set out so don't worry about data allowance.

I've been using it for nav only for 10k miles and after a shaky start it is now brilliant.

That's interesting. Maybe I'll get a new RT then!

charging

One other quick question. The phone charging facility in the little cubby hole, which charges your phone without being plugged in, does it still charge if the phone is in a case? I think I can guess the answer (no), but would like to know what experiences people have had.

One other quick question. The phone charging facility in the little cubby hole, which charges your phone without being plugged in, does it still charge if the phone is in a case? I think I can guess the answer (no), but would like to know what experiences people have had.

Depends what case you have, the one from apple on my iPhone allows wireless charging.

Back
Top Bottom