Long 1,100Km winter ride in -2oC to 21oC

Fantastic write up,shame you had to travel home sooner than expected but glad you got back in one piece!!

Thanks for the ride report,much enjoyed and appreciated.

Kimbo :thumb2

KIT REVUE after 25,000 Kms.

Just to finish off my trip report, for those who haven't already run off bored to tears, the following is a few thoughts and experiences with various bits of kit which maybe of interest:

The Bike

What a machine the R1250 GS Adventure TE is. The more I ride it, transiting from a K1600 GTLE, the more I like and admire its comfort, versatility, reliability and sheer plain out and out fun. She has performed flawlessly since delivery new from the dealer last May and 25,000 Kms ago. Unlike the K1600 she rides as straight as an arrow and hasn't used a thimble full of oil. Happy days.

Bits I’ve changed/added of note

Wunderlich clear fold down-able headlight protector. Excellent bit of kit, particularly being able to fold it down and clean behind. Judging by one or two minor chips in the glass it has already earned its money, protecting the ludicrously expensive GS headlight assembly from stray stones etc. Patience required to fit but well worth the trial ;-)

Puig Touring screen with factory fitted Aerofoil and Cymarc screen supports. I’m 6’5” and needed more protection than the OEM Adventure screen which, for me, was like doing 10 rounds with Mike Tyson due to the battering it gave from buffering above 50 or so Mph. The screen supports from Cymarc are well built and rock solid and any speed. The combo is recommended giving very near buffet free riding.

Cymarc pillion seat replacement luggage rack. Another well built bit of kit from Cymarc that saves the pillion seat from a battering when stowing a bag in the pillion position. It's easily installed/removed using the seat key. Thumbs up.

Bumot Panniers Top Box and Tool Box. The panniers fit directly to the OEM GSA rack. The top box requires a plate to be fitted to the OEM rack which is easy, allowing removal of the top box using the keys supplied. These three bits from Bumot are really excellent quality and very heavy duty. I also bought the internal bags and lid bags for them, which are again very well made with Cordura. Nick Hodges does a great YouTube revue of them.

There is a downside. The toolbox is NOT built to the same standard as the panniers. On my last trip the lock broke again. Moreover the build quality in general is not to the same standard as the panniers etc. Also the box is far too small and really does not take a tool kit worthy of the name. I use it to stow my Oxford half bike cover. (Excellent cover which folds down into a small lightweight parcel and is vvcheap to boot, thumbs up for Oxford.) That said this cover fills the Bumot tool box…..The box is destined for the bin.

Ram Quick Grip Waterproof Wireless phone charger/holder. Not a cheap choice but…..for me at least, well worth the admission fee. So far, after well over 20,000Kms in all weathers it has performed flawlessly with a Samsung S21 Ultra keeping the phone charged to 100% whilst using the BMW Connectedride APP/telephone/media player etc. I hard wired this via a TecMate USB 100 controller and extension cable direct to the battery (fed under the Tupperware then piggy backed with zip ties on the cables to the left handlebar where the charger is fitted via a Ramball to the base of the mirror). The Tecmate controller automatically switches the feed on and off dependent on battery charge and time not used. Altogether a good combo.

Russell Day Long Seat. This is not cheap, that said I would not ride without one, end of story, period. For me the OEM seats on both my K1600 and the GSA are designed to torture, simple as. BMW should, IMHO, be ashamed of themselves furnishing these long distance bikes with the rubbish they do. The RDL enables me to do back to back 10 hrs rides in complete comfort. I cannot recommend the seat and the company highly enough. Ps I’ve also tried Sargent seats as well as other brands. Frankly none of them hold a candle to a RDL and are a waste, again IMHO, of money. That said some do enjoy even the OEM seats, I wish them well. For the GSA I went for the single riders seat and fitted a Cymarc luggage rack in the pillion position. The OEM pillion seat still fits in combo with the RDL for those times the boss hops on ;-)

Metzeler Tourance Next. These replaced the OEM Michelin’s supplied from new. They’ve now completed 12,000Kms heavily loaded most of the time on twisties and a lot of freeway. There’s little signs of wear considering the mileage and most important of all, wet and dry grip is limpit like. I’ve become very confident in the tyres abilities in ALL conditions, including snow blizzards ;-) I’ll be trying the latest Metzeler Tourance Next 2’s shortly.

Riding Kit. On this last trip temps ranged from +22 celsius to minus 4. As you can imagine riding kit for the cold was vital. Everything hung off a Warm n’ Safe 12v Heated Shirt and 12v Heated glove liners, plugged in directly to the GSA’s battery via an TecMate SAE cable and plug, fixed just below the tank on the left side. A dual channel bluetooth controller velcro’d to the top of my Nav 6 mount does the needful thermostat/temp wise enabling easy access whilst on the move. Several layers of microfibre thermal’s underneath a KLIM Hardanger suit did the rest with a pair of Gortex, bullet proof Daytona Boots from Germany.

Helmet/Comms. As always the trick as we all know with helmets is to pick one that fits. This is difficult for me (size 3 XL noggin). After expensive flirtations with BMW System 7, Schuberth C4 Pro, Shoei and HJC in recent times I fell on the X-Lite 1005 Carbon Flip Up. Whilst not perfect its as close as I’m going to get enabling hours of flip down comfort. Moreover the helmet is coupled to the N-Com 902X (which I understand is a Senna unit). It performs well with long battery life well over 12 hours, it hasn’t quit on me yet, loud clear voice and tunes with a clear microphone set on a boom. It also readily connects to the GSA TFT system and my Samsung S21 Ultra phone using a RC3 Senna handlebar remote to control volume (Operates flawlessly). The best helmet and the best comms I ever had sums it up.

Navigation. I used the newish BMW ConnectedRide APP on the Samsung S21 Ultra for Navigating my last 8,000kms around Europe. Save one hitch, the system performed flawlessly and was a pleasure to operate. For some reason after the first day or so the entire BMW Connectedride App stopped working. I erased the app and downloaded everything again from my hotel room on WiFi, including ALL the maps. Since then the system has worked very well indeed. As a general rule I plan the next days ride on my MacBook Air using Google Maps, then create a GPX file from that URL, sending the GPX via What’s App from laptop to phone. A simple press on the What’s App sent GPX file on the phone opens up the BMW APP automatically. I then download the GPX into the APP (merely a case of following the simple prompts) and we are ready to go. So far that system has worked very well with the App following the route to the letter.

THE PROVERBIAL IN THE WOOD PILE. My GARMIN NAVIGATOR 6 (REFRESH) is an utter piece of ***** ****** ****** JUNK. I bought a NAV 6 new with my K1600 GTL. By no means a cheap option. I think BMW/Garmin have the gall to charge something like €800 ++ for the so called ‘Refreshed’ piece of…..Çrap. Garmin have replaced my NAV 6, I think I’d be right in saying, including this one, 5 times. Delivering this latest IMPROVED ALL SINGING DANCING ‘REFRESHED’ GARBAGE last year when they were first distributed. Almost from the get go the thing started shutting down all of its own, but only 2-3 times so I sort of let it go. On this latest trip the thing started ‘Ghosting’ again. Just like the older versions this latest ‘Refresh’ was supposed to have fixed, but worse. Flashing various pages at random on the screen, even unilaterally changing destination, then giving erroneous directions as a result. Imagine, as happened to me, driving along at night on an unlit twisty motorway whilst the NAV 6 strobed pages at maximum brightness before your eyes giving turn left, turn right, make a U turn voice commands continuously, with nowhere safe to stop, remove the dam thing from its mount and switch it off. Garmin are about to receive a fizzer post-haste.

Anyway guys, sorry to end on a bad note. I hope some of this helps someone and starts to repay the great amount of knowledge I’ve had the pleasure of gleaning from these pages. Stay safe and well out there…..best regards, Tony.

"Bored to tears?"

Far from it BigT, a very well written and interesting thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. :fbthumb

OMG. I read that trip report and was wondering where it was going! I'm so familiar with the route I was paying particular attention. Then came that weather! I'm sure we've all been there at some point, but that sounds like a lucky escape! With the wrong tyres (I mean, we'd ALL be in the wrong tyres on your kind of trip), that weather can seriously throw in a spanner! And there I was thinking I had bit of a journey back in December

Really enjoyed the updates. I think next week I go to Italy again and the outward weather is looking ok right now. But as you said right at the beginning, crossing those flipping mountains can prove bit of a deal depending on the weather.

Enjoy your beers and home comforts. You've inspired me to make some detours sooner rather than later!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not bored in the least, fun to read and well written, including the kit review, thanks!

Thanks for posting, you lifted my spirits with dreams of travel on yet another boring week at work. Glad you got home safely in the nick of time.

OMG. I read that trip report and was wondering where it was going! I'm so familiar with the route I was paying particular attention. Then came that weather! I'm sure we've all been there at some point, but that sounds like a lucky escape! With the wrong tyres (I mean, we'd ALL be in the wrong tyres on your kind of trip), that weather can seriously throw in a spanner! And there I was thinking I had bit of a journey back in December

Really enjoyed the updates. I think next week I go to Italy again and the outward weather is looking ok right now. But as you said right at the beginning, crossing those flipping mountains can prove bit of a deal depending on the weather.

Enjoy your beers and home comforts. You've inspired me to make some detours sooner rather than later!

Hey Slippery,

Have a safe trip and if you can, avoid the Alps, even if it means a few extra Kms to go around them, assuming you'll be doing the trip on two wheels ;-)

My encounter with a serious blizzard entering Vienna has given me further cause for thought. Had home not been a shortish ride away I'd have had to stop. Now imagine if that stop was forced upon you in the Alps on some lonesome stretch of freeway with the dark of night not too far away. A bad day all round?

Have a great trip regardless, stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tony

Hi BigT ,loved reading your experiences, as I've just bought my first bmw, a gs1250te and noted your experiences with the nav6, as I've got the garmin connection on mine what would be a good suggestion to go with regarding a sat nav ?

Hi BigT ,loved reading your experiences, as I've just bought my first bmw, a gs1250te and noted your experiences with the nav6, as I've got the garmin connection on mine what would be a good suggestion to go with regarding a sat nav ?

Congratulations on the purchase of your 1250 TE, I'm sure you'll love its versatility. Because of the distances I ride into fairly remote areas I want at least two independent forms of Nav without having to carry paper maps. Of late I've been using my BMW Connected Ride App for primary navigation and the Garmin Nav 6 as a backup and supplementary search tool for fuel stops, GPS speed readout etc whilst on the move. The BMW App has so far worked very well and I see no reason for that to change, which may be sufficient for many. For my secondary Nav, given that after my last experience I will not be using the Nav 6 even when or if Garmin replace it, I'm looking seriously at the Garmin XT 5.5". Its Garmin again but as there is little choice out there then Garmin is on the list but with a different, cheaper (half the price of the Nav 6), bigger and much later XT model. In essence and IMHO the Nav 6 is a rip off purely and simply because it has the BMW label. The XT also has WiFi I understand, which may make transferring GPX files to it easier. I do not use Base Camp. There are several extensive Youtube reviews on the XT for more details.

If I do go to the XT there are a number of adapters available that allows it to use the BMW Nav Prep bracket for power. In this case I'll stay with the Ram Mount Wireless charger for my phone fixed to the left mirror base and hardwired as described in my earlier post. I find that set up very useful, not only does it afford a good view of the phone and wireless charging, but allows easy one handed gloved removal of it to pay contactlessly for fuel etc. Win, win!!

As an aside when the BMW App stopped working and before I could reload it, I used Google Maps on the phone, it gives turn by turn voice and will often find hotels for instance far easier than most Apps. Then why stick with the BMW Connected App? The BMW App has a number of very useful additional feature not found on Google such as ride records, photo embedding and much else besides. I find them all to be very useful.

To sum all of that up I'll go with the BMW App (Google maps as needed) on the phone and a Garmin XT attached via an adapter to the BMW Nav Prep bracket.

Enjoy the GS, stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks Tony for your advice ,I'll have a think which way to go .Looking forward to some nice weather and getting out and enjoying it ,thanks ,ade

The sojourn continues southbound reaching a small coastal village halfway between Barcelona and Valencia in decidedly warmer weather, arriving in Deltebre and the Hotel Delta, (recommended). It was 16oC on Friday late afternoon.

After the usual faf stopping for and paying toll fees on the French motorways it was a pleasant surprise to find the Spanish version free of tolls, the booths that once collected fees lay abandoned on the road side.. It was a bit of a slog in coldish temps, 5oC leaving the Camargue warming to 8-10oC most of the way, until south of Barcelona. Sporadic heavy traffic was made a deal worse by some erratic Spanish driving and one or two technical issues, a glaring low sun and an absolute gale blowing from the west across the road. Spanish driving is at times, shall we say flamboyant, but nowhere near as bad as our Italian cousins, nuff said. Travelling south the sun was low, particularly in the later part of the afternoon which makes for a tiring ride squinting for two or three hours into a very bright sun. Never thought I'd bemoan the sun but......

And then came the technical issues. Transiting a rather complicated road structure around Barcelona I realised that barking Bettie on Google Maps had stopped talking to me, which made a view of the phone map essential, and with nowhere to stop I was forced to press on blind unable to see the map without raising a hand due to the sun directly in the line of sight. It must have been a comical sight me holding up a left hand in some German salute to block the sun leaning into the wind negotiating some interesting roads and traffic with one hand on the tiller. Anyway no damage done and after a stop and a reset barking Bettie was refreshed, all was well again. Why not use the Nav 6 or the BMW connect app you might ask. Mmmmm, that's another story. The Nav 6, usually used as a back up with the BMW Connected Ride App as primary refused to find my destination for some reason and the BMW app quit altogether the night before leaving the Camargue and refused to cooperate in the time allowed before departure. They say things come in threes!! So Google Maps on the phone came to the rescue until it didn't or rather, she who must be obeyed stopped talking to me which, without the glaring sun would not have been an issue. Anyway on arrival at the new hotel and with a good internet connection I've uninstalled the BMW App and reinstalled, forcing a total download of European maps once again. I am pleased to report that the reload did the trick. Quite why the Garmin Nav 6 couldn't find my destination remains a mystery, though not for the first time.

Lastly there was the wind which I thought was bad enough the day before. Gusts were severe, and at one stage I thought I'd have to stop as the GSA lurched across half a lane more than once. Anyway, I arrived in good order after another interesting ride. All a bit of a trial in some respects but fun nonetheless, I don't normally have such problems, this ride has been an exception.

Today was a day off enjoying the cuisine on offer at the Hotel Delta. Their Calamari in a Tempura batter has been a revelation to the taste buds, without giving the wallet a seeing to ;-)

Tomorrow is another small town called Mojacar on the coast 60 kms or so north of Almeria. The forecast is for 17oC rising to 20 on Monday. Happy days. Ps I will attach photos when something worthwhile arises and I fancy a stop for a pic.......for those who need eye candy ;-)

I'm seriously jealous.

Last time I was in Mojacar I was in a van, and the place was empty.

You've definitely got me thinking about a long trip once my Rockster is back on the road.
I initially came across this thread because I was looking for information on the Hardanger suit - I'm contemplating buying one for commuting duties (my new commute is about 70 miles, luckily only once a fortnight), as I have nowhere to change or store my gear at the office. I was contemplating the Hardanger so I can simply stuff it into a pannier to store during the day. By the looks of it you like the suit?

Hey Slippery,

Have a safe trip and if you can, avoid the Alps, even if it means a few extra Kms to go around them, assuming you'll be doing the trip on two wheels ;-)

My encounter with a serious blizzard entering Vienna has given me further cause for thought. Had home not been a shortish ride away I'd have had to stop. Now imagine if that stop was forced upon you in the Alps on some lonesome stretch of freeway with the dark of night not too far away. A bad day all round?

Have a great trip regardless, stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tony

Tony, only just seen your post (because Riceburner's post send to give me a notification )

Currently in Italy. Didn't encounter any snow/I've obstacles this time! But I've still gotta get back

Don't envy that narrow miss you had with the weather. Just great you scraped a casa just in time! Still planning a detour via Wien in June. Looking fwd to those warm days

I'm seriously jealous.

Last time I was in Mojacar I was in a van, and the place was empty.

You've definitely got me thinking about a long trip once my Rockster is back on the road.
I initially came across this thread because I was looking for information on the Hardanger suit - I'm contemplating buying one for commuting duties (my new commute is about 70 miles, luckily only once a fortnight), as I have nowhere to change or store my gear at the office. I was contemplating the Hardanger so I can simply stuff it into a pannier to store during the day. By the looks of it you like the suit?

Hi Riceburner, I do like the Hardanger a lot, it's my go to suit, winter or summer, rain or shine. As you're probably aware there are two types of Hardanger, the old and the new revised modified version. I have the original with a zip that goes from ankle to chin. This can and has been an issue for me and others. My 1st Hardanger's long zip failed, or more precisely jammed solid on me about half way up. I couldn't get the suit off which was somewhat embarrassing. Sods law it was absolutely P'ing down and was forecast to do so all day for a long ride from the Baltic Coast back down to Graz in Austria, about 1,100 kms away. In the end I managed to get free of the suit then slowly, it took me well over an hour, managed to put the zip back together again. Klim who's customer service is excellent, replaced the entire suit and dispatched it by priority courier. Since then I've had a few issues with the same zip but know how to deal with it now, that said I carry a Badlands suit as well on long trips. I learnt a lesson, at 6'5" and a size 3XL, I can't just walk into a bike shop and buy riding gear so I carry a spare regardless and would do so Hardanger or not.

For the new revised version, I've only seen video, Klim have split the long zip into two. I have not heard any complaints about it but do check one out before you buy, they're not cheap as again I'm sure you know. Other than the zip issue, which is now fixed with the revised version, my suit is superb, you can wear whatever you like underneath then put the suit in a pannier or top box and you're off to the races in suit and tie ;-). Moreover its waterproof two layer Gortex and very adaptable, having 12 or more YKK zipped vents which are direct and work extremely well in the summer. So yes, you could say I like it ;-).

As an aside if you like long trips check out this guy on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJgillo35KA

I sort of do what he does riding long and hard to get to an interesting area, before slowing up and taking time to smell the roses. I've ridden across the USA a couple of times doing much of the route on the video. It is just the best riding. Hopefully I'll get to take my GSA out there in the autumn this year for 2-3 months. That's the next plan, we will see. Anyway stay safe and well.

Best regards,

Tony

Back
Top Bottom