New 1250, can "Multifunction Indicator Lights" be coded out ?

Well, i cant see what the fuss is about ??

I had them on the 2022 Rallye loaner i had over Christmas & new year

Quite a lot of other bike riders commented on how bright the set up was, and I could be seen for some considerable distance

They did comment on the fact that the indicators do get a bit washed out,

but if you ride behind many modern cars , Range Rover being one, they have a similar set up, and there still going ;)

Its pretty easy to work out

Indicators = indicators = there is an intent to turn or a signal to other road users

Brake lights = Braking activity is taking place

Brake light's & indicators = Braking activity is taking place & there is an intent to turn or signal other road users

If your still accelerating or not slowing or preparing to slow to something showing brake lights, then a flashing indicator would make sod all difference. ?

Ssssh, common sense and rational argument is pointless to the few that have made a decision on this. Even if your riding is piss poor and you indicate only when you're started braking, as you say the scenario is still braking! How does this change the reaction of the car or biker behind? The only scenario I've had explained to me is the case where a motorcyclist is slowing down and indicating, and another rider has approached with intention of overtaking a braking vehicle? As you say, it's the same set up with cars, and personally if I were approaching a car or motorcyclist that's braking I wouldn't be thinking of overtaking (unless there was a clear reason why the vehicle ahead was braking), but I guess it's a potential scenario.

Similarly, the front lights - Hondas have used them for years without any evidenced issues (including my own Honda experience). Very few of us will have NOT experienced a car pulling out on us - we bring our experience to anticipate these and to defend against them. (Funny how near incidents get less the more years you ride a bike!). But all of a sudden it's due to BMW having adopted amber indicator drls!

Some profile modding bloggers and salespeople are fuelling thing, whereas I bet Motorrad central are bemused by it all!

Well, i cant see what the fuss is about ??

I had them on the 2022 Rallye loaner i had over Christmas & new year

Quite a lot of other bike riders commented on how bright the set up was, and I could be seen for some considerable distance

They did comment on the fact that the indicators do get a bit washed out,

but if you ride behind many modern cars , Range Rover being one, they have a similar set up, and there still going ;)

Its pretty easy to work out

Indicators = indicators = there is an intent to turn or a signal to other road users

Brake lights = Braking activity is taking place

Brake light's & indicators = Braking activity is taking place & there is an intent to turn or signal other road users

If your still accelerating or not slowing or preparing to slow to something showing brake lights, then a flashing indicator would make sod all difference. ?

"It's pretty easy to work out" - but how much do you want to trust the other idiots on the road ?

Some modern car indicators are crap, this doesn't mean that bikes should follow suit. The multifunction rear indicators aren't as obvious as the "normal" ones even when the brakelights aren't on (they're smaller and there's less illuminated area). I'd prefer following vehicles to have as much clue as possible about what I'm doing.

The front indicators are very bright when you're actually signalling, but the risk is that a dozy motorist takes a quick glance at a junction, sees the orange DRL on the approaching bike, assumes they're turning, and who's the person who suffers ? I don't think the orange DRL is ever going to help with making the bike more visible.

Overall this system MUST be less safe than just having normal indicators, so the question is why prioritise aesthetics over safety ?

"It's pretty easy to work out" - but how much do you want to trust the other idiots on the road ?

Overall this system MUST be less safe than just having normal indicators, so the question is why prioritise aesthetics over safety ?

No, it only must be less safe if there is clear rationale or evidence that it is less safe, front or back. What it can be, I agree, is annoying if you can't clearly see that the car ahead is indicating, and hence the reason why it's braking. But it doesn't change your reactions as a following car/rider.

As for the fronts, there seems to be a paucity of publicly available research, beyond one paper that found that amber indicator drls on bikes improved safety. Easy to think the reason why a car driver may pull out of you is due to the drls, when in fact there are well-researched reasons why cars don't see bikes (but which you can know and put into riding practice). If someone says 'I've have had more cars pull out me with these drl' this holds no more validity than me saying I have less cars pulling out on me now, when it's just as likely down to improved riding practice. Think they would have removed the from Hondas after all these years if there were any evidence or strong belief they caused an issue.

But it's all good content for bloggers and people wanting to sell you stuff.

The only thing that does my head in with them, is the self cancelling function. I think it is called comfort indicators, where they auto cancel depending on bike speed. I’m sure I’ve seen a vid of a 2022 bike, which has the option in the TFT menu to turn this off. My 2021 bike does not have this option to turn them off, so may ask the dealer when it is next in.

The only thing that does my head in with them, is the self cancelling function. I think it is called comfort indicators, where they auto cancel depending on bike speed. I’m sure I’ve seen a vid of a 2022 bike, which has the option in the TFT menu to turn this off. My 2021 bike does not have this option to turn them off, so may ask the dealer when it is next in.

Mine is 2021 as well and doesn't have the option to turn the auto cancelling indicators off.
But...
The dealer can change time/distance the auto-canceling turns off your indicators. There are 3 options. It comes from factory with "short" option I didn't like because it would sometimes turn the indicators off before I started to get out of the highway. So I went and asked to implement "middle" option that doubles the time/distance and now they're perfect for my liking. They self-cancel only if I forget to turn them off, meaning, like 500 meters later.
The 3rd option is to turn them off completely.
Just go to your dealer and ask. Mine has been done on its annual service, free of charge.

Mine is 2021 as well and doesn't have the option to turn the auto cancelling indicators off.
But...
The dealer can change time/distance the auto-canceling turns off your indicators. There are 3 options. It comes from factory with "short" option I didn't like because it would sometimes turn the indicators off before I started to get out of the highway. So I went and asked to implement "middle" option that doubles the time/distance and now they're perfect for my liking. They self-cancel only if I forget to turn them off, meaning, like 500 meters later.
The 3rd option is to turn them off completely.
Just go to your dealer and ask. Mine has been done on its annual service, free of charge.

Perfect, job for when it is for the next recall work for the software update :beerjug:

I'm sure I've read somewhere on the internet about the 1250GS owner that insisted with the dealer to get rid of multifunctional indicators. Eventually, they told him to purchase simple indicators for the last model 1250 and they'd recode it. He went on with it, purchased used rear ones and new front ones. They've installed them, recoded the options and he now has non-multifunctional indicators.
I looked and looked but can't find the site I've read it on...

I personally like the look of them, have only covered 400 miles so far and I'm on the fence. On the first 50 mile ride I had one wagon and a car flash at me and put their hazards on and gesticulated to the front of the bike, a guy walking past me on the pavement pointed and told me my hazards were on, but broken, cause they weren't flashing. And recently did an evening assessment ride with a Blood Bike group and the guy following me said it was nigh on impossible to ascertain if I was indicating when I was braking due to the indicator being so bright when the the brake light was on. :nenau

So basically all old fuckers struggling with change.

recently did an evening assessment ride with a Blood Bike group and the guy following me said it was nigh on impossible to ascertain if I was indicating when I was braking due to the indicator being so bright when the the brake light was on. :nenau

Under certain conditions, he's correct. Just that it's irrelevant, well, I guess unless you get a nutter driver/rider passing you not wondering why you're braking or have stopped.

I fitted replacement triple function indicators to my 120O WC from http://weisertechnik.co.uk/
Works a treat. The indicators are DLR or Brake or indicators, only 1 at a time. Really clear and bright.
However each to his own, just my choice.
I am considering a new 1250, yes I would change to the indicators from from above.

I'm sure I've read somewhere on the internet about the 1250GS owner that insisted with the dealer to get rid of multifunctional indicators. Eventually, they told him to purchase simple indicators for the last model 1250 and they'd recode it. He went on with it, purchased used rear ones and new front ones. They've installed them, recoded the options and he now has non-multifunctional indicators.
I looked and looked but can't find the site I've read it on...

You are correct. I was told this by Williams Manchester when I complained about the rear indicator/brake light being dangerous. They told me change indicator units to old spec units and input a code to bike and it would revert to how they should be. Only catch was a requirement to be £400 to have it done a supposed requirement from BMW to sign a disclaimer admitting I had overridden a safety feature. I’ve left mine and will spec the imminent 1300 without them.

You are correct. I was told this by Williams Manchester when I complained about the rear indicator/brake light being dangerous. They told me change indicator units to old spec units and input a code to bike and it would revert to how they should be. Only catch was a requirement to be £400 to have it done a supposed requirement from BMW to sign a disclaimer admitting I had overridden a safety feature. I’ve left mine and will spec the imminent 1300 without them.

There is no need to purchase "old" indicators. My GS is 2021 and when I placed the order for it I was explicit about not wanting multifunctional indicators. It came with standard indicators. They are different then "old" LED indicators. Their shape is the same as multifunctional ones but they are tinted so you don't see whats inside them. They're very bright too. So, you can always purchase those.

There is no need to purchase "old" indicators. My GS is 2021 and when I placed the order for it I was explicit about not wanting multifunctional indicators. It came with standard indicators. They are different then "old" LED indicators. Their shape is the same as multifunctional ones but they are tinted so you don't see whats inside them. They're very bright too. So, you can always purchase those.

You need old style led lights (still available) and a small change to loom as fancy lights have four pin plug whereas old style have two pin. Ecu/ brain update tells bike what’s fitted and writes it in to prevent the bike reverting to original spec during any softwear update. However given what people are saying about new fancy lights being an option and old system actually being standard spec it would surest BMW’s supposed requirement about signing a form regarding safety system is wrong. I’m in no position to argue either way as I bought a bike that was in the showroom stock and had the silly indicators fitted. At no time (sadly and surprisingly!) has anyone at Williams told me that standard light were available. I’m in there today chasing a nav6 that went back to bmw a month back and will inform them of the details in this thread.

Weiser Technik Indicators

Recently read the messages and watched YouTube videos about the BMW multifunction indicator problem. I hadn't really noticed a problem, but then I'm riding the bike (1250GS) and don't see the indicators; but when it's pointed out I can't un-see it. The BMW OEM indicators fitted to my bike are unacceptable, if I'd known I wouldn't have bought the bike (new but already built so no option to make changes).
I decided to fit the Weiser Technik EXTREME EVO LED Indicators Dual Function Front & Triple Function Rear Combo Kit; yes costly on top of an already expensive BMW, but safety is more important. I got a 10% discount code from 'Just the way it is' on YouTube, so £400. Arrived next day, easy to fit, the 'Just the way it is' installation video explains 'how to' so that an idiot could do it. I'm very pleased with the new indicators, the front is now bright white (daylight running) and the rear a proper Amber/off flash and high intensity brake light. Come on BMW fix this safety problem.

Did they laugh when you said dangerous.

Cosy dunt is what they probably thought

Only dangerous IF some “cosy dunt “(your words ironically!) runs into the back of you. I notice you’re in the south (best place for cosy dunts) so we’re probably quite safe up this way but do post a warning if you’re venturing north of Watford any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom