Electric Preload

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a 2009 1200 GS with electronic preload adjustment whereabouts in the control unit/ECU located. Any pictures etc most welcome. Thanks

I do not recall seeing anything on the wiring diagram but I would think that it is controlled through the ZFE ( Central electronics unit).
This is mounted under the fuel tank along with the BMS-K (Engine control unit).
Someone will be along with more information. Calling -- Denz0 .

I do not recall seeing anything on the wiring diagram but I would think that it is controlled through the ZFE ( Central electronics unit).
This is mounted under the fuel tank along with the BMS-K (Engine control unit).
Someone will be along with more information. Calling -- Denz0 .

On my 2016, the DME comes in 2 varietys Non ESA & ESA, The ESA varient, shows a seperate module, but dosent say/ show if its internal or external to the DME

If i can find an earlier wiring diagram i'll post what it shows

On my 2016, the DME comes in 2 varietys Non ESA & ESA, The ESA varient, shows a seperate module, but dosent say/ show if its internal or external to the DME

If i can find an earlier wiring diagram i'll post what it shows

Have a Haynes manual for early 1200 bikes and shows a diagram for the RT with shocks, switch and control unit but nothing for the GS. Best it can come up with is "if you have a problem take to dealer". Dens0 has serviced sorted both shocks but need to get the preload limits re set. Just want to check the terminals and connections etc to make sure everything good before taking it in later this week.

On a 2009 1200 GS with electronic preload adjustment whereabouts in the control unit/ECU located. Any pictures etc most welcome. Thanks

the control unit is directly on each damper unit - the electronic signals telling those what to do is the ZFE on early bikes and as mentioned ZFE High does ESA and Cruise (but cruise left off the GS in euro markets and enabled on the RT bikes). With the later bikes a newer ECU plays with the Suspension - DME is the sparks and the fuel nothing else - the location of red bits (where fitted) on the bike in this link is applicable on all of them

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/07...es-dynamic-damping-control-suspension-system/

P90078453_highRes-500x357.jpg

Onwards.. Been to dealers and checked with diag and shows fault with rear position sensor. Which unlike newer ones is built into the rear motor housing. Just to let you all know. I have had bike for 12 years and am familiar with how to set preload and all conditions are met.
Just moved bike out of garage and noticed the display not changing when ESA button pressed. Comfort normal and sport still show when button pressed. But just shows one helmet. No matter what I do or how long I hold button will not show other settings. This it did prior to having diag done, it just cycled through each one but bike did nothing. So any suggestions? Tried to call dealers but busy all afternoon:blast

Not wanting to teach ma granny to sook eggs but…did you remember that to change the preload, the engine needs to be running?

Bit obvious, I know, but it had me confused in the past.

The valve that controls the damping, Sport ,normal , Comfort. is at the bottom of the shock.
The preload motor is at the top of the shock, I think that Denz0 on this forum has had some success repairing the preload motors ,might be worth sending him a PM.

Yep always set with on main stand and engine running, not load motor too much. Yep the sport etc settings work fine and have checked the two connectors and cleaned terminal pins and so on. Lift motor works with direct power, both up and down.
In touch with Luke (Dens0) he has serviced the shocks and super helpful recommend him if you ever need anything. The annoying thing is I've had bike best part of 12 years and used preload settings often. Couple of days before I had set it all ok as usual. Left it in the garage for a week then came to go for a ride with my wife and nothing, all gone pear shaped. Any one with a GS911 close to Knutsford in Cheshire could run a diag check for me?

Back
Top Bottom