BMW 1150GS (2004), thinking of a bit more “oomph”

122kgs more? Much prefer the Super Ten to the 1200GS, much more character to the mill than the Beemer.

Still think suspension is the way to go - was out on my 1100 the other day on the original (20000 mile) front shock while the Wilbers was having a new seal fitted and it was noticably harsher and less well damped. Was very happy when the Wilbers came back and I could remove it and stick it back under the bench.

Sorry meant 12kgs more!!!

Nothing compares to:
Gemi stage 9 or 10 chip
or Buldau chip
In the ECU of the 11xxGS
Results in more bottom torque

Booster plug aka recycliser / recyclizer is rubbish

Been there, dunnit

Last edited:
But will yours still be reliable if you boost the power and increase the stresses in the engine?

Yeah I kind of agree with you on that one.

I have a Remus can already, will add the Y piece and I think just suck it up

But will yours still be reliable if you boost the power and increase the stresses in the engine?

Yes is the answer - the R1100S which is basically the same engine makes almost 100bhp and is factory reliable. You can easily increase the R1150 output to 100 bhp without impacting on reliability - and beyond although it gets very expensive.

Y Piece and can along with improved induction via R1150RS inlets (not R1100S Paul!) and a bigger bore snorkel + matched 1200 injectors + proper map via PCIII or RB is the best route. Chip replacement is also OK.

After that it's bigger valves, gas flowing, race cams, high compression pistons and another remapping session. Or add a supercharger from TTS.

Good luck:thumb

Last edited:
Yes is the answer - the R1100S which is basically the same engine makes almost 100bhp and is factory reliable. You can easily increase the R1150 output to 100 bhp without impacting on reliability - and beyond although it gets very expensive.

Y Piece and can along with improved induction via R1150RS inlets (not R1100S Paul!) and a bigger bore snorkel + matched 1200 injectors + proper map via PCIII or RB is the best route. Chip replacement is also OK.

After that it's bigger valves, gas flowing, race cams, high compression pistons and another remapping session. Or add a supercharger from TTS.

Good luck:thumb

Cheers Dr A

But got to say, that all sounds VERY expensive… my cheapo Y cat piece may have to make do for now

Y Piece and can along with improved induction via R1150RS inlets (not R1100S Paul!)

Cheeky!! ;)

1100S and 1100RS were the options back in my day, both using the same part number. What’s the difference with the 1150RS inlets?

I’ve answered my own question and it looks like we’re both right… They all used the same part number inlet tubes :thumb2

Attachments

• 1DA5C240-DB74-4337-93A1-05EF3133F3A4.jpg
    1DA5C240-DB74-4337-93A1-05EF3133F3A4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 196
Sorry meant 12kgs more!!!
Well I’ve got this one for the winter too, its an 850, but basically the same as the 1100/1150s. If youd asked id have said the S10 was lighter not heavier.

Attachments

• C4F53F39-3F74-4125-B412-AD649A0CDBBC.jpg
    C4F53F39-3F74-4125-B412-AD649A0CDBBC.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 192
Well I’ve got this one for the winter too, its an 850, but basically the same as the 1100/1150s. If youd asked id have said the S10 was lighter not heavier.
I've also got an 850

I am tempted to try and squeeze more power from it, but then I think I should just buy an 1150gs or enjoy the 850

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Nice! It’s weird that you can get the 850 and 1100 in red but not the 1150. Shame as I enjoy my red.

They are great bikes the 1150GS and my aim is either to keep my one or find one even more pristine that I can keep for many many years to come

Change the speedo to KMH! :thumb2 Instantly bigger numbers. :D

I’ve got two brand new unused GS John stage 11 chips for the twin spark 1150GS if you’re interested…..

I’ve got two brand new unused GS John stage 11 chips for the twin spark 1150GS if you’re interested…..

Thanks - what are the stage 11 version? I hear different versions are for different setups?

My bike:
- pretty much stock, only extra is a Remus can
- planning to add de cat Y piece

I’m in two minds about a chip… haven’t decided yet

Thanks - what are the stage 11 version? I hear different versions are for different setups?

My bike:

The stage 11 is the latest chip from John for the 1150GS twin spark, with standard air filter, y-piece and Remus end can. £50 to you sir :beerjug:

The stage 11 is the latest chip from John for the 1150GS twin spark, with standard air filter, y-piece and Remus end can. £50 to you sir :beerjug:

That is tempting, even with me being a no no to chip changes…

But how do I know mine doesn’t have one already…? Is there a way to know? My acceleration is smooth, just not very much of it!

I've also got an 850

I am tempted to try and squeeze more power from it, but then I think I should just buy an 1150gs or enjoy the 850
Tapatalk

Same here, but I remind myself that at one point I owned an 1150 at the same time and had a day out with a mate on the 850 and me on the 1150 and I was amazed how much i had to work the 1150 to keep up at normal road speeds. The gearing makes the 850 just as quick up to around 70-80mph.
But in theory you could swap barrels and pistons for 1100 ones. Not sure if you’d need heads, injectors and ecu too though.

Nice! It’s weird that you can get the 850 and 1100 in red but not the 1150. Shame as I enjoy my red.

They are great bikes the 1150GS and my aim is either to keep my one or find one even more pristine that I can keep for many many years to come

Ive had two silver 1150s and had always intended on respraying them red, but didn’t keep either long enough too. So many bikes, especially lots of current models that I’m sure would sell better if offered in simple red, blue or yellow colours. There’s so many really bland colours around these days, and don’t start me on Matt finishes. I’m so tempted to try polishing the S10 to see how it looks shinier…

But in theory you could swap barrels and pistons for 1100 ones. Not sure if you’d need heads, injectors and ecu too though.

I've got just the powerup kit that you need - R1100 barrels, pistons and heads. Heads have a big valve conversion(early GS spec) and have been gas flowed to a high standard. You wouldn't need to change the ECU - just a map or a chip. 100BHP at the rear wheel. Bought a while ago for a project that I'm never going to do. Drop me a line if of interest:thumb

Attachments

• 9B835348-0E3C-4A42-B3C9-F43C566A982D.jpg
    9B835348-0E3C-4A42-B3C9-F43C566A982D.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 235

My bike:

To close off this thread - update;

- In the end, I added a second hand Remus y piece to my bike, as I was lucky to already have a Remus can on it
- Total was around 3 hours work at home (Remus lambda sensor was stuck, cleaning and oiling everything etc )

I went for a quick ride earlier to ensure all ok

My god, what a transformation! For all of you out there who are wondering “how can I get a bit more powarrrr but without breaking the bank or messing around with the basics of the bike (eg chips)” then I would 100% recommend the exhaust and y piece mix. Especially as they’re reasonable price on Fleabay

My expectation was of around <5% difference but as soon as I started riding, it’s more like a 15-20% difference. More pickup at all rpm ranges. This is the bike I was hoping for! In the end rode for longer than expected as I couldn’t believe it

Am very happy now with our 1150GS and just wanted to share the love

To reiterate - my opinion is… before you start spending money and time on lots of expensive or tech upgrades, please please do if you can the aftermarket exhaust coupled with a y piece. You will be very pleasantly surprised with the outcome. How this isn’t a bigger thing for all of us I’ll never know. My bike is great now, no complaints.

Well, apart from needing to find the perfect auxiliary lights!

Attachments

• 25B9FEE3-DA1A-41EA-8B6F-33047F7C5E5A.jpg
    25B9FEE3-DA1A-41EA-8B6F-33047F7C5E5A.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 184
  • F57CE9A2-624C-4F24-8531-B9F36723FB12.jpg
    F57CE9A2-624C-4F24-8531-B9F36723FB12.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 194

Back
Top Bottom