From BMW to Triumph

BigKev67

Reaction score
Well after 53 yrs of biking I have decided that I need a lighter bike.
Last week I test rode a Triumph Tiger 900 rally Pro - then ordered one. Should have it in 2 weeks
Nice to get money back on a trade in (2021 GSA rally te)

So I am taking bits off the GSA to sell before it goes, Rox risers already on the for sale section, lowered pegs and re shaped one piece rallye seat to follow.

If anyone has had thoughts on the Tiger 900 i am happy to give my views compared to the GSA.

I rode a 900 GT when they first came out and was looking to trade in my R1200GS Triple Black

I couldn't stand the engine vibration on the 900 at motorways speeds so kept the GS

Well after 53 yrs of biking I have decided that I need a lighter bike.
Last week I test rode a Triumph Tiger 900 rally Pro - then ordered one. Should have it in 2 weeks
Nice to get money back on a trade in (2021 GSA rally te)

So I am taking bits off the GSA to sell before it goes, Rox risers already on the for sale section, lowered pegs and re shaped one piece rallye seat to follow.

If anyone has had thoughts on the Tiger 900 i am happy to give my views compared to the GSA.

It’s a brilliant bike had one when they first came out couldn’t fault it one of the few bikes i would buy again the engine has got bags of character

I test rode the GT a and the GT Pro both nice bikes with good handling, disliked excessive radiator heat on my knees and the vibration at 70-75 mph.

I agree that vibes start to show at 75mph on the Tiger. For me I am below 75mph 95% of the time and the engine feels fine. It pulls in any gear where the GS would shake and complain if you didnt change down. For high speed cruising the GSA wins by a mile. Twisty country lane and the 900 wins.
I thought that BMW had the shaft drive and gearbox sorted but but when I went back to chain drive I realised how smooth it is especially at low speeds where the shaft transmission of the GSA complains if you let the revs drop..
The GSA and the 900 rally pro are both great bikes. The six stone (40kg) weight saving on the rally Pro swung it for me as I am 69 yr old and the GSA was getting to be a big lump. I should say that if my second bike hadnt been a CRF250 Rally I would never have realised how much fun you can have on a light bike and therefore would have continued to think that big is best, so blame the change on Honda !

Interesting post Big Kevin, I too am of an age (70) where I will almost certainly benefit from a lighter bike than my present R1250 GSte, which I would add is a stunning bike

Various longer term serious health issues have made me wonder what route to take

I have viewed the Triumph Tiger 850 Sport (in magazines and on line) which is much lighter than my GS and also competitively priced, I haven't tried one as yet but will do so as and when I get the chance

Youtube reports for the Tiger are very favourable

My girlfriend did not want a heavy bike, but wanted a BMW because I have one. She went and bought an S1000XR, not much over 200kgs (same as a Triumph Tiger 900 rally Pro) with 165 bhp. She loves it.

Back
Top Bottom