Hot weather lid and jacket?

Smartbazza

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i'm about to go on my first European bike trip to France in July which will combine a visit to my brothers new place and also a bit of a tour with Reggie353 of this Parish.

i tend to get a bit hot when the temperatures rise above 20degs over here (I am Irish after all and not used to good weather) and expect it to be roasting dans le france.

would like to hear if anyone uses an open face lid or can recommend a lid for hot weather and similarly does anyone have experience of mesh type jackets.

thanks in advance

Barry

100% happy with Revit Eclipse mesh jacket and trousers. 30 degrees + most days and gave some airflow. Best tip I got was about wetting your T-shirt/base layer and letting that plus the airflow cool you down.

Klim Marrakech and a flip lid of your choice. Short boots and gloves with lots of perforations. Shirt untucked. Leave buffs and whatever in your pocket or wet them before riding. If it’s really hot pour water over your head and shirt. Wear some light runners shorts or something so you can whip your trousers off when you stop.

But if it’s hot it’s hot and you will be hot. Clothing alone can’t make you cool.

Try a Shark Evo 2 helmet, the chin bar flips all the way to the back of the helmet to convert it into an open face and is legal for road use. Riding a flip up helmet with the chin bar in the raised position is not legal and the wind catches it and can cause discomfort.

Rukka Forsair Pro jacket and gloves are a good choice.

Try a Shark Evo 2 helmet, the chin bar flips all the way to the back of the helmet to convert it into an open face and is legal for road use. Riding a flip up helmet with the chin bar in the raised position is not legal and the wind catches it and can cause discomfort.

Is that just in France?

I use a Shark Evo too with the chin bar right back, which is perfectly legal unlike many flip up lids.

I use either a mesh jacket or none at all.

I tend to use jeans too with or without Kevlar and walking boots.

My choice and I know many will disagree

Get yourself a decent mesh jacket, its like wearing a T-shirt but you still have protection. I can't ride in hot weather without it now.

Take a windproof jacket to put over the top if you are riding in varying temperatures like in the Alps where it can be roasting in the valleys but quite cool up on the passes.

Utter crap .
The Neotec 2 has approval with the chin bar up or down and it’s fine with it raised at 50 + mph

I just returned from the South of France, it was 30 degrees around Grenoble and Sisteron when the sun came out, and cooled down to about half that when the sudden downpours hit. I was riding in my (allegedly UV reflective treated) BMW Streetguard4 suit and draggin jeans (which got pretty hot even with all vents open).

Some smarter group riders were more comfortable in their armoured mesh jackets with base layers plus a thin waterproof Klim Goretex jacket and overtrousers for when the rain hit.

...............For next summers planned Italy tour I shall invest properly in an armoured mesh jacket/base layers and a Goretex outer jacket and carry my trusty one-piece over suit in my top case just in case of really torrential downpours.

I was riding in my Schuberth C4 with the chinbar up when it got too hot, its not homologated for use this way but I didn't get arrested (I never saw one Gendarme in over 2000 miles ridden).

lots of great tips there lads - keep it coming.

so far sounds like a flip lid (i did nosey at the Shark Evo) and a mesh type jacket. i have a pair of armoured denim jeans and short boots i was thinking of using too.

Barry

lots of great tips there lads - keep it coming.

so far sounds like a flip lid (i did nosey at the Shark Evo) and a mesh type jacket. i have a pair of armoured denim jeans and short boots i was thinking of using too.

Barry

On the mesh jacket, it's also worth getting a thin windproof undershirt for cool mornings or evenings. The Klim Zephyr is an excellent choice. Finally, a small waterproof to throw over the top if it starts to piss down. The Scott Ergo Pro DP is very good indeed.

With this setup, you are good for coldish, hot or rainy conditions - otherwise known as most of Europe.

My parents lived for 25 years in Provence, where the temperature can sit north of 30 for days on end.

My advice, having been down there a lot would be:

A. Time your riding riding so as to minimise the hottest part of the day, which is roughly 13:00 thro’ 16:00.

B. Water. Drink lots of water. Even if you think you have drunk lots, drink lots more.

C. Just because you feel cooler in a mesh suit, the air is still hot and the sun is equally still hot. Neither of them lose any heat just because you are wearing a mesh jacket.

Ignore all or any of this if you intend to ride around in Normandy, where it will probably piss down all day. Where are yiu going in France?

night 1 is Notre-dame-de-monts. night 2 is near the Causses du Quercy National Park then likely sweep in a north easterly route anticlockwise from there. Yet to plan the tour element.

Myself and Reggie353 are up for anywhere based on recommendations. will head to ferry in Cherbourg likely day 10.

Barry

I like the Shark Evo idea. Whether riding with a flip up open is legal or not, you'd definitely look like a conehead.

night 1 is Notre-dame-de-monts. night 2 is near the Causses du Quercy National Park then likely sweep in a north easterly route anticlockwise from there. Yet to plan the tour element.

Myself and Reggie353 are up for anywhere based on recommendations. will head to ferry in Cherbourg likely day 10.

Barry

Aha, Brittany / Normandy…. Probably cooler than much of France in July. Certainly cooler than Provence.

For a totally different view. Mesh doesn’t work for me, dehydration happens too fast, even chucking down litres of water at every opportunity. I’ve used a Klim Badlands suit for the last 6 years in temperature up to 42c. Yes it is hot, it is 42c, but I’ve always been comfortable with a good wicking base layer. I also use a Macna Cool Vest. Drink out of the in built ‘camelback’ and dehydration has never been a problem. I wear a Schuberth C3 / C4, flows enough air when on the open road & flip up the front in town. Each to their own, takes a little experimentation to find what works for you.

Done loads of riding in hot temps all over the place and t shirt and jeans works for me with a piss pot helmet and shades to keep the locust out of your eyes, although they can pierce the skin on the rest of your face...Just make sure you have a jacket on when you have an accident, I did on both occasions and it helped me enormously.:beerjug:

for what its worth I have been using the shark evoline helmets for my last 4 and rode with it in portugal going down to faro, whilst yes the visor is up the helmet is still hot as it does not have great venting, I would go for an off road style cheap adv helmet, I have an afx41 but the o,neal also works well really good venting, however I have just got a tour x4 and rode with my brother in law in Germany over the last week and it was damn hot, I am fine and will use the tour x4 down to Faro this year, he however is now looking for another to use instead of his Shark evoline, oh and if its very sunny do watch out for sunburn on your face.

I have a adventurespec linesman jacket and I have taken the body armour out and have a base layer armour jacket, when it gets too hot I have revit serria shirt to go over the top

I use A Rukka mesh jacket , it’s usable from about 14C and above. Remember to get a light waterproof over jacket.

Back
Top Bottom