Comparable non BMW bikes to GSA 1200 for the tall rider

Wobble

Hugh Janus
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone of our taller parish members had experience with a non BMW that they felt offered a reasonable and comfy ride?

Apart from my first bile (ST1300) I have had a series of RTs and then my first 2018 GSA.

I love the GSA, but just fed up with BMW service and wanted to get the feeling for other makes.

At 195cm (or 6'5" in old money) and have always had issues with not enough leg room, but the GSA is great and I can flat foot both feet at the same time.

Try a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE, it is a 870mm seat height, so only a little lower than the GSA, but quite a bit lighter and narrower.
I'm 6'7" (36" inseam) and I found it OK. I still switched back to a GSA though (my 3rd) because I couldn't be arsed with a chain and wanted the luggage :)

I have sat on (but not ridden) one of the new Tiger 1200s, which is more comparable to a GSA, also worth a look.
It felt very similar to a GSA, but I have to say I prefer the BMW TFT and menu system, always found the Triumph ones a bit more fiddly and harder to read.

Is it just a particular BMW dealer you are fed up with, or the brand in general?

Ktm “R” variants are all taller than GSA and with a peg lowering kit plus Powerparts seats you get a good knee angle.

I’m 6’4” and changed from a 2012 GSA to a KTM 1290SAS. I had the dealer set the pegs up the lower position and have a high ergo seat, also an Airhawk fitted. The bike is comfortable with loads of leg room with or without the AirHawk. The chain is no bother at all, I just fitted a manual chain oiler & give it a quick twist every time I fuel up. After 9,000 miles the chain still hasn’t needed any adjustment.

The local (an hour away) KTM dealer says the KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S is a good match, but the R as pointed out looks a bit GSA Rallye spec
Might pop down in the week for a ride

The local (an hour away) KTM dealer says the KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S is a good match, but the R as pointed out looks a bit GSA Rallye spec
Might pop down in the week for a ride
I never ride off road so the ‘S’ made more sense for me. Do like the colour scheme on the ‘R’ though.

I've owned 3 different Suzuki DL1000 (V-Strom) before my GS (2021). Those bikes were perfect for me. Givi Airflow screen on all of them and wind management was perfect. I moved to GS just because the newest model V-Strom got ugly for my taste and it was time for new bike.
I'm 192cm tall and the fight to solve the buffeting issue took me a lot of money. 4 different screens and spoilers. Eventually, I solved it with Wunderlich Marathon screen, MRA spoiler and spacers on lower screen bolts. Now I'm trying to solve wind noise issue that is much higher the it was on V-Strom. Took one step forward by removing hand guards. That dramatically reduced wind noise and now I'm waiting for Barkbusters to arrive. One more thing I couldn't stand was noise from the front wheel, even with ear plugs (Anakee Adventure tyres). Just solved that one with new tyres (Michelin Road 6) as I only ride on paved roads.
So, it took me a lot of money and the bike is still not the way I'd like to be. But, don't get me wrong. I love my GS. The geometry of the frame and suspension make it perfect for twisties. I'm not road-racer and after 40 years of riding I'm getting more and more carefull by time. However, cornering with GS is the best of all bikes I owned (because of my hight, I hate sport bikes).
Every bike has its pros and cons, it's normal. I said V-Strom was perfect for me but after GS I'm not sure I'd ever go back to Suzuki.
Ah, yes... And the sound of my GS sometimes makes me feel like I'm riding diesel bike...
As for the expenses, every time I have to spend money on the bike, I think that's it, it won't need anything else. But it looks like it never ends. As for the service, as soon as it gets out of warranty, it will go to independent garage for annual service.

I’m 6’8” 36” inseam… the Triumph scrambler 1200 XE has superb ergonomics as standard.

The only bike I’ve not had to fiddle with

Maybe you could just find a better BMW dealer ?;)
Very good point MR P, I’ve tried four in the south and south east, and the latest one in Sunderland ended up in a wasted journey, being told I have to ring a central line to book a service, then being told by them to go back to dealer.
I’m booked in a dealer on the other side of the country. Booking a service should not be this difficult.
fed up with no loan bikes, missed items on service, being told corrosion wasn’t part of their service inspection and generally fucked about dealers who seem to have male versions of Carol the receptionist as their service advisors.

At 6'4'' i find the Yamaha XTZ700 Tenere comfortable i had to put lowering links (20mm) on as i was struggling to get my leg over also bar risers (20mm) as i was reaching too far but loads of leg room the seat is better than it looks.

Very good point MR P, I’ve tried four in the south and south east, and the latest one in Sunderland ended up in a wasted journey, being told I have to ring a central line to book a service, then being told by them to go back to dealer.
I’m booked in a dealer on the other side of the country. Booking a service should not be this difficult.
fed up with no loan bikes, missed items on service, being told corrosion wasn’t part of their service inspection and generally fucked about dealers who seem to have male versions of Carol the receptionist as their service advisors.

I live about 30 mins from Arden's in Tunbridge Wells but now travel the extra 30 mins to Cannons in Essex for reasons I won't bore you with. I have never had anything but boringly reliable and friendly service there, including loan bikes. I wish you luck with finding an alternative bike to the GS if you love it. I really tried but have another GS.

Have a few things on next week, but going down to KTM dealer week after next for a lookey see at their range.

I really love the gsa, just fed up with BMW twerps, even happy to pay for good service.

Have a few things on next week, but going down to KTM dealer week after next for a lookey see at their range.

I really love the gsa, just fed up with BMW twerps, even happy to pay for good service.

Latest 1290 Super Adventures S & R are now set up more for the average ht rider - had to fit tallest seat and lower the pegs to get my S to fit me (6' 3" with long legs/short body!).

The pre 2021 1290's were a perfect fit for me with just the Ergo seat in the high position.

I got great service from Teesdale’s in Thirsk. They have been a pleasure to deal with.

Apols for a bit of a thread hijack, but on the ktm theme, how does the super duke compare to the 1290 adv room wise and legroom? I’m 6’2, interested in something a bit lighter than the gsa, won’t be doing mega miles or carrying a pillion

Back
Top Bottom