Multi purpose rear indicators- wiring diagram

SMB: I suspect that will be the simplest solution but I want to see if I can get the red DRL's working (0.24 watt) but not have the brake lights work (1.68 watt).

SMB: I suspect that will be the simplest solution but I want to see if I can get the red DRL's working (0.24 watt) but not have the brake lights work (1.68 watt).

I believe that BM just alter to pd (voltage) of the DRL-low to Brake-high.

The simplest solution that can think of is to monitor the pd of the DRL/Brake light line (grey ?) and adjust the pd to the low value even when the pd is set to high (brake is on). One might have to have a resistor to keep the current draw from the ZFE is as expected when the brake is applied. This should give you a constant DRL even when the brake is applied.

If you have a separate brake light signal ( not part of the rear indicators ?extra brake lights?) I can send you a very simple circuit that will do exactly what you want.

Bob,
Had a thought.
Suggestion.
Put it back together but cut the brake light indicator feed on one side.
Does the DRL stay on when the brake is applied?
If it does, cut the brake light feed on the other side. If you get a bulb warning light on the dash, a resistor from the brake light feed to earth will be required on both sides.

Did you have a chance to play with this again? Watching intently so I know what to do when my bike arrives in a couple of weeks

Well I've tried everything but cannot get the running lights working without the brake lights.

I've even "spoke" with Denali in the states. Their T3's won't directly replace the BMW multifunctional indicators because in their wisdom BMW have set the running lights voltage too low at 1.5v whereas most companies set it at 3 to 4 volts.

I'm instead going to fit a pair of Denali T3's wired to the CANsmart.

Well I've tried everything but cannot get the running lights working without the brake lights.

I've even "spoke" with Denali in the states. Their T3's won't directly replace the BMW multifunctional indicators because in their wisdom BMW have set the running lights voltage too low at 1.5v whereas most companies set it at 3 to 4 volts.

I'm instead going to fit a pair of Denali T3's wired to the CANsmart.

Hi Bob,

I found this post as I’m trying to retrofit multifunctional indicators to my 2018 GSA with an EzCan. I somehow assumed all I need was different 12V feeds and some CAN magic to gain control over the multifunctional programming to make it work the way it should.

I purchased the original BMW 4 wire indicators for the rear.

The brake lights work as expected. So do the indicators that I wired to the OEM harness. But I can’t get the rear DRLs to function. In fact, when I apply 12V to the yellow wire, the EzCan’s physical fuse blows.

Are you saying that they rear DRLs operate at 1,5V? That would be weird indeed, but potentially solvable.

As for front DRLs, I’ve ran an extra positive wire from the front turn signals to the EzCan. It works, but I get a dash error after a while. Do you happen to know how I can fix that? I was thinking a 12V diode to prevent the EzCan 12V to flow back into the OEM circuit.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be okay with the center light being just a brake light if the multi function indicators were not brake lights, tail light and indicator with a big centre brake light.

A recent video from "A Bike Thing" alluded to a new product coming which will cure an issue with the 2021+ GS which has been driving people nuts... I'm curious to see what it is.

looks like weiser technik have come up with a solution to give you back your rear centre light on the 21 on models - dont know why the fatherland thought it was a good idea to lose it in the 1st place
I had the first of this set up fitted to my now one year old 1250 when it was new. Fitted by the owner and chief tech at a time to suit me. Coffee and cakes supplied and every question I asked was answered without hesitation, much of it way beyond my technical ability. Good people.

@Bob Jeffries Hi there. I'm in the same situation. I was wondering if there is any news. I ordered a set of connectors the test and experiment myself without cutting in my cables.

4 Pins indicator cables with connector for Bmw S1000xr S1000rr S1000r R1250gs/Adv R Nine T

I've read as much as I could find about this.
My goal is using the standard multifunctional indicators but let them function like if Weiser Technic modules are fitted.

Brown = gnd
Yellow = pwr (aka running light, always on)
Blue = indicator
Grey = brake

When the blue line (indicator) goes high then
The grey line (brake) must go low.

Maybe a voltage regulator/buk converter must be used for the right voltage?

Maybe a resistor must be at the end of the grey (or blue) line to ground, to prevent error messages being displayed?

I'm not a electronic wizard (although higly interested in electronics) and can't make a schematics myself.

I don't know if this is what @SMB meant in his post. Because English is not my native I didn't understand BM and PD :
I believe that BM just alter to pd (voltage) of the DRL-low to Brake-high.

The simplest solution that can think of is to monitor the pd of the DRL/Brake light line (grey ?) and adjust the pd to the low value even when the pd is set to high (brake is on). One might have to have a resistor to keep the current draw from the ZFE is as expected when the brake is applied. This should give you a constant DRL even when the brake is applied.

If you have a separate brake light signal ( not part of the rear indicators ?extra brake lights?) I can send you a very simple circuit that will do exactly what you want.

I'm finding that on my 22 plate bike the yellow wire does nothing. I bought some plugs from aliexpress with the intention of fitting some emblem lights. These are 3 wire, and give indicator, and white light. When i connect them into the rear multi function lights, indicator works fine, marker light works fine, but brightens when you pull the brake lever. So the marker/brake function is controlled the 1 wire with a voltage increase for brake.
stu

Try connecting them to the front indicator. The front indicator doesn't have a brakelight function. See what happens.

Try connecting them to the front indicator. The front indicator doesn't have a brakelight function. See what happens.
I was just thinking the same.
I'm now wondering if the front markers will run the rear markers as well, and run the feed to the rears into the centre light for a marker and brake light.

I was just thinking the same.
I'm now wondering if the front markers will run the rear markers as well, and run the feed to the rears into the centre light for a marker and brake light.
I suppose you don't have multifunctional indicators? Year 22 should have...
(Maybe I don't understand what you want to achieve, English is not my native language)

There must be a way to change the indicators by software tweaks only...

Scroll in this video to 9:40

Back
Top Bottom