Keihan exhaust

You should have a second tab on the top of the silencer that bolts to the subframe.

The diagonal down from the subframe goes behind the exhaust bracket, held in by the foot rest.

I’d start by fitting the silencer in place, then offering up the y piece.

Just looked at the prices - you’re right they’re not cheap!

It was straight when I took the old pipe off. there was no strain on pipe or pannier frames.

Put it back on just to make sure nothing has moved after previous stresses were released when you stripped it down.

Not good photos but my second top tab fits inside the frame and my y piece fits ok.
35a0e5e8c74ea35cfaef214805dae6aa.jpg

63304df36191c0daae14557cd0360e25.jpg

488cf6182b97e47f1e31c8f29835e99e.jpg

703db2df670fdab872114d5271b33c9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good photos but my second top tab fits inside the frame and my y piece fits ok.
35a0e5e8c74ea35cfaef214805dae6aa.jpg

63304df36191c0daae14557cd0360e25.jpg

488cf6182b97e47f1e31c8f29835e99e.jpg

703db2df670fdab872114d5271b33c9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the original, with the raised seam where the pressed steel halves are joined. The Keihan is wrapped and welded underneath. My middle top hanger sits proud of the frame by 10-15mm (1/2") even when the bottom is bolted to the frame just behind the rider peg and the top end hanger is bolted on the rubber spacer bolt. I think my exhaust is not put together correctly. I am happy to buy a couple of cases of beer if people want to come round and help!

That is the original, with the raised seam where the pressed steel halves are joined. The Keihan is wrapped and welded underneath. My middle top hanger sits proud of the frame by 10-15mm (1/2") even when the bottom is bolted to the frame just behind the rider peg and the top end hanger is bolted on the rubber spacer bolt. I think my exhaust is not put together correctly. I am happy to buy a couple of cases of beer if people want to come round and help!

I think with spending that much money I would be contacting Keihan for the problem

Is yours absolutely standard at the back end or a modded subframe

The Keihan parts on my 860 look nothing like that. They are perfectly welded and polished with an engineered look. They don't have that silvery 'christmas toy robot' finish. My first reaction was - they are not Keihan.

The Keihan parts on my 860 look nothing like that. They are perfectly welded and polished with an engineered look. They don't have that silvery 'christmas toy robot' finish. My first reaction was - they are not Keihan.

They were sold to me as Keihan by Motorworks.... is yours marked Keihan? I shall check mine tomorrow and I will check Motorworks website, now!

My reaction also. I grew up with the bloke who set Keihan up and I have been to the factory in my hometown on more than a few occasions and this is not a reflection of the quality and professionalism of their manufacturing processes and finish. I have helped many people on here purchase Keihan products direct from the factory with a discount and there has never been a complaint or problem with any of the systems.

My reaction also. I grew up with the bloke who set Keihan up and I have been to the factory in my hometown on more than a few occasions and this is not a reflection of the quality and professionalism of their manufacturing processes and finish. I have helped many people on here purchase Keihan products direct from the factory with a discount and there has never been a complaint or problem with any of the systems.

Snooty - heading down to Redditch on Thursday, getting there early doors, they open at 08.00 so I shall try and be there for that. They are going to send me away with a system that fits! You can't ask for more than that. Superb offer from them. I wish I had known about your links beforehand.

Snooty - heading down to Redditch on Thursday, getting there early doors, they open at 08.00 so I shall try and be there for that. They are going to send me away with a system that fits! You can't ask for more than that. Superb offer from them. I wish I had known about your links beforehand.

That's excellent news and nothing more than I would expect as they are an honourable company, you will probably deal with Mark. Good luck and well done.

That's excellent news and nothing more than I would expect as they are an honourable company, you will probably deal with Mark. Good luck and well done.

Indeed it is Mark that contacted me. How far are you away from them?

Be interested in the outcome of this.

I have a Keihan 'system' on my ST and all fits perfectly.

(Was already fitted to the bike when I bought it 10 years or more ago).

There’s a difference between the round headlight paralever GS exhausts and the square headlight paralever GS exhaust. I suspect king rat has the wrong version, especially if it was bought from a 3rd party and not Keihan themselves….. also replacing the original collector box with a Y piece isn’t a good idea, there’s a huge flat spot in the midrange and you lose a lot of drivability.

There’s a difference between the round headlight paralever GS exhausts and the square headlight paralever GS exhaust. I suspect king rat has the wrong version, especially if it was bought from a 3rd party and not Keihan themselves….. also replacing the original collector box with a Y piece isn’t a good idea, there’s a huge flat spot in the midrange and you lose a lot of drivability.

Unfortunately there isn't a collector available.

All fitted and up and running. I shall test ride once the roads are dry and clean. Hopefully I won't notice the difference too much.

Unfortunately there isn't a collector available.

All fitted and up and running. I shall test ride once the roads are dry and clean. Hopefully I won't notice the difference too much.

So what was the issue? Had you fitted it in correctly somehow? Or was it a bad build and parts needed changed

So what was the issue? Had you fitted it in correctly somehow? Or was it a bad build and parts needed changed

It was the wrong one, the difference is very slight. I would never have known. Bolted straight on and connected to ypiece no problem at all - sounds great!

Well, I have spent 2 days trying to get the y-piece and tail pipe to fit the R80GS.... for nearly £800 I have to say I expected a better fit and better welding. The stress and heartache is not worth it... with the silencer hanging on the very tail end, rubber mounted bolt the next one back is nearly an inch adrift from the bracket, the pillion hanger bracket is 3 inches away from the pannier stay that was perfectly aligned on the standard silencer bracket. The welds are bloody aweful, thin and look like candle wax has been dribbled in the gap.

To say I am thoroughly disappointed would be an understatement. I have half a mind to send it all back and buy a new, original silencer and collector box. :help

What did they say about your comments : "welds are bloody aweful, thin and look like candle wax has been dribbled in the gap”?

….. also replacing the original collector box with a Y piece isn’t a good idea, there’s a huge flat spot in the midrange and you lose a lot of drivability.

My sentiment exactly Steppers :thumb2

It destroys the mid range, no back pressure, required for more torque :thumb2

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom