A blank canvas trip to Most (CZ Republic) and back

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the situation.

We’re taking 2 bikes across to watch the WSB around in Most this summer and we’ve got 3 nights outbound and 5 for the return so as ever, I’m open to suggestions.

My initial thoughts are to head north and have a closer look at the Baltic coast before diving south after the 3rd night then coming home roughly follow the border south to the Bohemian Forestry region and onwards to Passau before home.

Passau to the Hook can be done in a day if needs must but I’m more inclined to stop in a known hotel in Randersacker leaving an easy ride to the ferry.

Anywhere we absolutely must see?

We’ve been to Berlin so count that out and the same goes for Dresden.

I’ve been to Lubeck, the other half hasn’t so we could add that in because it’s a nice town and an option would be a couple of nights there if anyone suggests a nice hotel within walking distance of things to see.

As for the ride south, well that’s the really blank part of that blank canvas :D

Three days to get there, five to come back.

Off the top of my head, I’d come back via Ruegen island and the Hanseatic towns on the Baltic coast. Ruegen can take a day, staying in Stralsund on the mainland. Maybe a bit too far?

Sat in the Town of Ramsgate, any of these three could be made to work. Motorway past the Rhine / Ruhr cities, or curve underneath and then head north.

abd0d0e1658ddd08e3d17e5f504ec322.png

I guess we could spend 5 days on the Baltic and just stay more central outbound. I did spend one night in Nordhausen returning from a winter rally in Augustusburg and that was in a hotel with its own brewery so that’s worth a return and it wouldn’t hurt me to have a better look at Germany north of Frankfurt which historically I’ve neglected in my rush to get elsewhere.

if you are going to Passau then back to Hook, you could call by some of the castle towns between Prague and Wurzburg, on the way to Randersacker.

The area between Kassel and Cologne is quite nice. Spa towns, forests and undulating terrain, if you want something closer to the port on the last night. I stayed in Freudenberg but the hotel I used is no longer open. Shame, it was a nice German boozer full of locals.

The jaunt Most > Stralsund > Lubeck > Hook of Holland is a smidge under 1000 miles. Five days is…..um….. er…… 200 miles a day.

a46fd7d8c015b14adb14cd1cad93cf96.png

So not impossible by any means.

You just then need to decide where the longer days come, to allow for seeing something. Logically, it would be Lubeck to the Hook and maybe the run up towards Brandenburg’idh.

Well we’ve settled the outbound 3 nights and that’s 2 nights in an apartment in Hamelin and 1 night in a hotel in the Altstadt part of Dresden. Did I say we’ve done Dresden? Yes, but the boss really likes Dresden so we’re having an afternoon and an evening there and no gay bars this time :D

The jaunt Most > Stralsund > Lubeck > Hook of Holland is a smidge under 1000 miles. Five days is…..um….. er…… 200 miles a day.

a46fd7d8c015b14adb14cd1cad93cf96.png

So not impossible by any means.

You just then need to decide where the longer days come, to allow for seeing something. Logically, it would be Lubeck to the Hook and maybe the run up towards Brandenburg’idh.

That looks like a reasonable enough route.

We’ve got 5 nights and really need to be having a longer day on the run back to the Hook because we’re on a night time crossing. It was much easier at out last place because you could get the afternoon crossing then be home by 10pm.

I'll have a good look at where we should be considering visiting and let the boss use her veto option as applicable.

Booking in advance really isn’t my normal plan but it’s the last 2 weeks of July so I think pre booked accommodation is probably a good idea.

I’ve just checked a few locations in that so called Lake District region and there’d be plenty to aim at between 250 and 300 miles from Most so that’s an easy ride after a weekend watching racing and from there we could comfortably drift around and use a day getting to the coast after choosing somewhere that we want to spend an extra day being pedestrians.

We’ll probably try to bottom this out in the next week because of getting accommodation and after next weekend I’m away in the NL for up to 8 weeks which makes deciding on holiday type things a bit more difficult. It still comes down to whether we take a northern or southern circular route back to the ferry, going north there’d be more places to spend a day sightseeing whereas south would offer a quieter start before heading west and looking for castles etc.

If you use the view that shows terrain on Google maps it becomes very obvious that you’ve got a ridge type feature running from a touch east of Most right round to Passau. I’ve followed part of it before and as long as you accept that with smaller roads comes riding through towns so the daily mileage falls away but you win because you get far more pleasant places to stop for coffee, beer, ice cream etc than you will do on a motorway.

Both options have things saying choose this one; I think the riding would be marginally more interesting heading south but I’ve neglected the Baltic coast and I’m more likely to stop and have a day out in one of the tourist spots when I’ve got the other half with me than I am on my own and I tend to do longer days on the bike.

It might be a good idea to get out a paper map and apply sticky arrows one evening :D

Just to add to the which ferry debate, we opted for the Harwich to Hoek ferry yet again because it’s a fairly new ferry and at a touch over £600 for 2 bikes and a cabin with the return being a flexible ticket it’s not expensive. The bonus is that it’s not P&O because even if I were willing to forget my opinion on P&O the wife wouldn’t change hers :thumb2

I think the lakes area would be interesting on its own and a good excuse to visit somewhere that you’d maybe not otherwise go. You could go up to it, then ride basically westwards (instead of going north to the coast and then west) through some pretty nice areas, before you reach the Ruhr / Rhine conurbations.

The Baltic coast makes a good holiday, particularly if you include an extension into Jutland, perhaps. I think I’d do that separately, if you ever both fancy a standalone holiday at some other time. It maybe lends itself best to finding the little roads and a bit of popping up to the odd island or two.

As you say, a map and sticky little arrows is your best friend.

Probably out of your way but there is a nice area known as Little Switzerland which straddles the German Czech border and is really nice. There is a village on the Czech side called Jetrichovice where there is probably the best forest I've ever been in. There is camping and a hotel and a couple of bars. We liked it so much we diverted on the way home to have another couple of nights there.

Heading east there is obviously Colditz which I enjoyed. There is also the Harz area that you might go close to, its nice hilly country and good to get away from the motorways, some nice wee towns to pass through.

Closer to the ferry Bad Bentheim is an easy place to stop if you want a short day at either end.

Probably out of your way but there is a nice area known as Little Switzerland which straddles the German Czech border and is really nice. There is a village on the Czech side called Jetrichovice where there is probably the best forest I've ever been in. There is camping and a hotel and a couple of bars. We liked it so much we diverted on the way home to have another couple of nights there.

Heading east there is obviously Colditz which I enjoyed. There is also the Harz area that you might go close to, its nice hilly country and good to get away from the motorways, some nice wee towns to pass through.

Closer to the ferry Bad Bentheim is an easy place to stop if you want a short day at either end.

I’ve just looked and Jetrichovice is on that ridge following the border I mentioned in post #12. If it was further along the route it’d be tempting but it’s only 1hr from the start point and I’ve been further east along the same feature to pick up the Tatra range then the Carpathians and carried on vaguely following it right through to Romania. That’s a holiday in itself, especially if you’re alone and not sticking to a fixed plan.

Further progress has been made. We sorted out relevant paper maps and on opening the first one it had stickies all over the region running south then west of Most from two trips to Brno for the MotoGP round and a different one when we did a big loop around eastern Germany, SW Poland, Slovakia and into Austria so it’s going to be a return via the Baltic coast.

Of course this could easily change a number of times which is exactly the reason why advance planning isn’t my favourite game :D

I think we’ve settled our outbound route now that the couple who weren’t joining us there are joining us there and I’ve dragged up a distant memory of a hotel in Muhlhausen that has an in house brewery. They’ll be setting off a couple of days later so Muhlhausen splits the journey from the ferry to Most into almost a 2/3 then 1/3 first and second days so they should be meeting us on the Wednesday afternoon then we have a quiet night at the hotel and a no need to rush departure the next day.

We’ve not really had a good look at that 5 day return because the other half has been busy until late with work calls so I think it’s going to be left to me to sort out and the other couple are heading straight back on the Monday morning.

Back
Top Bottom