I Bought an R100GS to pursue perfection: advice needed

Being a bit picky - the frame paint is too glossy, the original was satin black, the raised ribs on the rocker covers are bare alu and the inside of the fairing is matt black or it is on mine anyway.

I’d be very happy if mine was that clean!

Works continue…

Front and rear wheels vapour cleaned, respoked and rebuilt including wheel bearings.

New Tyres.

New upgraded disc, new pads, caliper painted, system flushed.

Forks fully served.

New Ohlins shock

New rear break.

New clutch cable.

Cylinders and headers vapour cleaned.

Rocker covers painted.

New Y mid pipe.

Full oil, filters, spark plugs etc service including transmission.
With all new gaskets etc.

Seat refurbished and new cover.

Tank polished.

IMG_3363.jpegIMG_4803.jpegIMG_4802.jpegIMG_4832.jpegIMG_4836.jpegIMG_5232.jpeg

Looking great! If you get the chance, stick a wedgetail electronic ignition unit in. They are really excellent.

I don’t think the average person (me included) appreciates the amount of work, skill and attention to detail that goes into a proper restoration. I am in awe of your dedication to this project. Brilliant.

I don’t think the average person (me included) appreciates the amount of work, skill and attention to detail that goes into a proper restoration. I am in awe of your dedication to this project. Brilliant.
His skill and dedication is showing through in this thread, top job and something a bit different for the OP, day to day

Have used Smethursts a couple of times over the years. Did an excellent job on some engine casings some years back when he was operating out of his home address. Good value too. Went back to him a couple of years ago with a set of rims and was taken aback by how much his prices had gone up. Maybe in part because he'd moved to commercial premises (albeit a very run down mill complex)? Sitll did a good job, but IMHO too pricey for what was done (bare rims, no corrosion, no spoke holes, should have been a very quick and easy job).
Love the work on this bike, keep it up!

Many thanks for the comments. It is a complex job and when start restoring you end up in rabbit hole!
At this point I feel I can say that part one is completed.
Loads of attention has gone to cosmetics: body work is as good as I wanted apart for the OEM protective clear sticker to fit on the tank where the seat clicks on. Would be nice to have GS engraved on the seat cover.
Brakes and suspensions have been fully served, consumable changed and mostly replaces with upgraded parts (Ohlins, upgraded Marzocchi and Sibenrock).
Wheels have been rebuilt with new spokes and nipples. Rims and hubs polished. New tyres. All new bearings.
Full service, all fluids, all filters. Valves.
When cylinders were removed, all gaskets and pushrods rubber gaskets were changed.
Missing accessories sourced including a new tool kit.
Few cables and others similar parts changed.
New Y midd exhaust pipe.

Next step will depends if I keep the bike or not.
The only unsorted issue is a small leak from the gearbox main gasket. This is an easy job but very much time consuming. Also, the neutral light doesn't work. I have a new cable to fit, but if that is not the problem, it might be the sensor(s).
Speedo works and miles are recorded, however the partial trip doesn't and the glass is old and scratch. Unfortunately this is not available. I should replace the all unit which is expensive and doesn't look the part.
The injection key is not the original. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to find.
These above are the things that are needed to complete the restoration to perfection (unless you dismount the bike piece by piece and remount it - frame was powder coated recently). The leak and the neutral light are things that I will definitively sort out soon.

If I was to keep it for good I would also consider an engine upgrade, like a new piston/barrel to gain few horsepower and torque and a double front disc upgrade. Something I will decide a later stage.

Some pictures, and in the background her sister and friends.
image0.jpeg

8C6E90DD-7F44-4442-95D6-C35CEF5BF85A_1_201_a.jpeg619CFA9D-29D7-48EA-A724-B5EAC5D567F9_1_201_a.jpegF60498C4-BD84-4F47-AAB6-6C1E27A2A1BC_1_201_a.jpeg62D61154-B1A1-4111-B8F4-307C05AF4DD5_1_201_a.jpeg521F4CF6-1CE8-4E4C-B682-058ED1D2438B_1_201_a.jpegE0EEA8F0-4BB1-46D0-8821-0B56CD51AA15_1_201_a.jpeg
IMG_5396.jpegIMG_5382.jpegIMG_5381.jpegView attachment 271282IMG_5379.jpegIMG_5376.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom