Opinion on Resetting Service on "LC"

MartinK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps

Dilemma please, and asking for your opinion.

Bike's done just over 3000 miles since last service in August 2022. Just over 4 years old.
4000 mile trip planned next month (Italy, ferry Bari - Igoumenitsa, back via the Black Sea coast).

So, I will be at least several hundred miles over my service due (although still 4 months early on time)

I have done an interim oil/filter change last week... Just for peace of mind!

I asked my local dealer (I bought the bike there, and had all services done there), and I also have BMW Extended Warranty. The dealer said just to run the bike, it's far too early for the service being only 7-8 months and ~3300 miles since last one...

Would you reset the service (I have a GS-911) counter? I don't really want my TFT pinging all the time saying "service overdue" and having an orange triangle on display for the last 1000 miles of the trip!

So - reset the service interval myself with the 911, or put up with the annoying TFT messages??? Any implications on Warranty etc?

Interested in the collective opinion of this parish :)

I was away in Norway last year, My service light came on half way round. If id have had my GS911 then, without a doubt Id have reset it. The light annoyed me. That said. I do all my own servicing, So it doesn't matter to me. But the dealer may find some excuse to moan or even a warranty issue ?

I was away in Norway last year, My service light came on half way round. If id have had my GS911 then, without a doubt Id have reset it. The light annoyed me. That said. I do all my own servicing, So it doesn't matter to me. But the dealer may find some excuse to moan or even a warranty issue ?

Onahi - thanks, yes, the same concerns I have. Worse still if I do break down and they don't honour a warranty claim... :nenau

I was in the same dilemma regarding servicing / extended warranty ,i rand the warranty provider ( bmw ) obviously by them through 3rd party and was told they were okay for 1500 miles over schedule but no more .

I would reset the next service date to a date one year in the future to prevent the service due warning appearing. On return and before booking in for service I would reset the date to a few days before the service appointment.
Alan R

I was in the same dilemma regarding servicing / extended warranty ,i rand the warranty provider ( bmw ) obviously by them through 3rd party and was told they were okay for 1500 miles over schedule but no more .

Good to know, thanks, I should be under 1500 miles. For some reason I thought t was 10% (600 miles) :beerjug:

I would reset the next service date to a date one year in the future to prevent the service due warning appearing. On return and before booking in for service I would reset the date to a few days before the service appointment.
Alan R

I had not thought of that! Good call!!! Maybe the answer. :thumby: Altho miles is my issue, rather than date, but I like the idea - I'll have a play with my 911

Not sure you can go backwards.?

Its a warning / reminder for a reason !

are you lot that fickle that you cant live with a reminder light for a thousand miles or so??

If i recall you can have your service done +-1000 miles of the required time / milage.

I never meet the milage requirements for any of my services, but working with the service dept, they can move stuff around

I was way of my valve check when the bike came in due to time service, so they left that, and i dropped it back in when it met the mileage requirements

so everyting gets done either on time or mileage

Santa, I explained at the top of the thread that i have (1) asked the dealer, and (2) given it an interim oil/filter change

The warning is a bit stubborn/persistent on bikes with the TFT. Every time you start it, you have to remove the warning message, and the "yellow triangle" is always on, once you go over. I would rather not have this... (my Guzzi just has a little yellow key symbol which is much less intrusive, and has been on for 10000 miles!)

The bike is serviced, so the "Its a warning / reminder for a reason !" doesn't really apply, and my dealer service isn't due till August (on time) and is right in the middle now of miles (3000 done, 3000 to go)

Fickle ?
If you can remove the warning every time the ignition is turned on, and the warning tringle, then of course you would. Not fickle? I rode for a month in eastern Europe and it did wind me up.
We are all not as super hero as you Santa. So forgive us:D

Fickle ?
If you can remove the warning every time the ignition is turned on, and the warning tringle, then of course you would. Not fickle? I rode for a month in eastern Europe and it did wind me up.

Same here, had it on before and it's annoying!

Same here, had it on before and it's annoying!

The having to swipe left every time turning on was enough. I carry the GS911 with me now, and often ride over the service interval. Jobs a Good,n

A bit off topic here but with the GS 911 tool could you move your service schedule light so it doesn't come on say for 30'000 mile instead of 6k?
Since mines been out of Warranty I do all the servicing and I probably do more miles than the average man, so my triangles been on forever(Or certainly feels like it).
Just wondered if it was a option to change it?

Sent from my Nokia G50 using Tapatalk

No, Its pre set to 6k. Good idea though. And Id do the same if I could.

I didn't have the luxury of either a Gs911 or or a working wonder wheel,when i had the TFT loaner

It developed the fault day 2 into a 10 week loan ... so resetting of any faults / issues was impossible.

Luckily the TFT moves the important stuff around, when it displays faults , so i could still see speed etc.

everything else was either a button work around, or live with a big warning - Fuel was the one the majority of the time

I didn't have the luxury of either a Gs911 or or a working wonder wheel,when i had the TFT loaner

It developed the fault day 2 into a 10 week loan ... so resetting of any faults / issues was impossible.

Luckily the TFT moves the important stuff around, when it displays faults , so i could still see speed etc.

everything else was either a button work around, or live with a big warning - Fuel was the one the majority of the time

So, if you could have removed all of that on the display with the GS911, you would have ? Or continued with it ?

get it serviced en route - probably a lot cheaper in Bulgaria etc - Ljubliana used to be a popular choice as it is a nice city to have a day off the bike

get it serviced en route - probably a lot cheaper in Bulgaria etc - Ljubliana used to be a popular choice as it is a nice city to have a day off the bike

I looked into this, However, the dealership in Tallin needed a precise hour for booking. So if your timeline is fluid, that would work. And, It was half the price:thumb

wessie - good thought - Only my bike will need done, the other 3 (there are 4 of us on 4 bikes, 2 x R1200GS, 1 x R1250GS and 1 x R1200RS) have all had theirs done over winter, so only mine due... I'll not ask them to hang around...

Onahi - thanks for your support through this thread, i think, I'll pop the GS911 on in the next few days and reset the interval so I will be excused from the endless TFT messages and amber triangles :)

I'll pop the bike into my local dealer for it's 24k service as soon as I get back.

Back
Top Bottom