1300 GS Test Ride

Willie12

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took a 1300 GS a test ride today, the basic package but had the dynamic package.
Big difference in power and just seems alot sharper. Definitely a quick bike,
Really noticed more engine noise like a slight rattling and some vibration on the handle bars, Gear shift assist definitely clunky compared to the 1250. Loved the power and the torque but definitely needs refined. Anyone think similar or did I get a bad one??

Took a 1300 GS a test ride today, the basic package but had the dynamic package.
Really noticed more engine noise like a slight rattling and some vibration on the handle bars, Gear shift assist definitely clunky compared to the 1250. Loved the power and the torque but definitely needs refined. Anyone think similar or did I get a bad one??
Gear shift assist is better than my previous 2 year old 1250 & that was pretty good. The 1300gs is crisper and shifts easier\cleaner in the lower gears, I still miss a change or two going up into 5 or 6 but that's just me not being positive with the change. Your demo bike may have being having a bad day :) . First test ride I had on a 1300 I thought shifter was worse than my 1250. I then had another test ride on a bike that had had its first service & it seemed a lot better. The other thing is it may depend on how all the settings are set on the demo and what you are used to. I don't like the Dynamic throttle setting, I find it too on\off but that's just personal preference.

for Me it felt quick and everything was a bit better than the 1250 . But it felt small and my knee bend was uncomfortable with my arthritic left knee . will wait for the Adventure and will buy that when its a sorted bike

Gear shift assist is better than my previous 2 year old 1250 & that was pretty good. The 1300gs is crisper and shifts easier\cleaner in the lower gears, I still miss a change or two going up into 5 or 6 but that's just me not being positive with the change. Your demo bike may have being having a bad day :) . First test ride I had on a 1300 I thought shifter was worse than my 1250. I then had another test ride on a bike that had had its first service & it seemed a lot better. The other thing is it may depend on how all the settings are set on the demo and what you are used to. I don't like the Dynamic throttle setting, I find it too on\off but that's just personal preference.
I will maybe take it another test ride, there was over 2k on the clock, and was in dynamic pro mode, gear shift seemed very clunky in lower gears and on idle was noisy and a vibration through the bars. Just didn't expect it from all the YouTube reviews I watched 🤣

My test ride was straight after getting off my 21 plate R1250GS and I immediately noticed smoother, no bar vibration, lighter handing and more power. Engine noise was something I was aware of but only in that it was different, rather than better or worse. Can’t comment too much on the quick shifter as I’m old school regarding that and tend not use it much.

The engine rattles plenty at tick over but it stops as soon as you open the throttle, like the old one

I find the quick shifter to be excellent, far better than my 1200 but then I never had a problem with that either, you just need to be firm with them, ride in boots not ballet slippers and you’ll be fine :D

On start up as well , rattles like a bugger but settled once warm . Has an odd flutter at tick over as well but once your moving all that vanishes as it’s a great ride .

The new 1300 most likely rattles louder because the exhaust is so damn quiet…Cant wait to give it the Berries myself to see if its worth the upgrade despite the shit looks,quiet exhaust,small tank,Harley taillight and linked to the front foot brake…😳It better has to be damn good like cure the high speed with bags wobble and S1000XR fast to overcome all these negative points to make me want to trade the 1250 when I do the Pepsi test…😉

The engine rattles plenty at tick over but it stops as soon as you open the throttle, like the old one

I find the quick shifter to be excellent, far better than my 1200 but then I never had a problem with that either, you just need to be firm with them, ride in boots not ballet slippers and you’ll be fine :D
I’m still running mine in (380 miles so far) but I agree the qs is better. I think because the bike pulls from low revs, people change up too early, I’m certainly guilty of that sometimes. Give it a few revs and it’s approaching silky. I love the grand prix style flash to tell you when to upshift - many people won’t ever see it though.

Its set up to be a road bike, hence the sportier power delivery and handling - it's styling says road bike too.

Its set up to be a road bike, hence the sportier power delivery and handling - it's styling says road bike too.
A lot of folks have said how good it is off road compared to the older bike, lighter agile and good power delivery .
I have always used enduro bikes for off road green lane or racing , but I would take this one off road as its just smaller , easier to ride at low speeds as its balanced . How some folks even attempt to use a GSA off road I will never know.

I took one out, not enough power, tank too small. front wheel too big.......oh hang on I think my account has been taken over by an insane chatbot :cool:

Actually I though it was excellent and had the common faaaakinelll first to secont shift as the front popped up, it was on slimy horrible roads so couldnt try the handling but it felt lovely if a bit soulless

Back
Top Bottom