2024 Vstrom 800 RE

On an all new middle weight adventure tourer it's a real head why scratcher Suzuki omitted cruise on the DE. Leaving it off the RE is just nuts.

tbh, I can manage without cruise. It's a nice to have. I'd far rather have had heated grips but guess the oxford kit is easy enough to retrofit.

It’s all down to cost.
Oh it may save them £30-£40 cost but false economy IMO. Let's say Suzuki offered 2 RE's, the one above and an RE/C version that incorporated cruise control that was £100 more. Which do you believe the vast majority would choose for their adventure touring motorcycle? Same with Honda's Transalp.

c43bf01521cb19371c6b35a1d6961cf3.png

I took one of these for a test ride yesterday. A great bike - punchy power delivery, excellent handling, comfortable, brilliant brakes.

I don't care about the lack of cruise control - I've never had a bike with it so don't miss it. Was WAS a deal-breaker for me was the turbulence around the screen causing wind roar that increased with speed to the point where, at 70mph and above, it was intrusive and unbearable for more than a few miles. I was wearing ear plugs, regular full-face helmet and normal textile jacket - all the noise was from the bike. In fact, even at 30mph, there was the beginnings of wind noise, so I do believe it's an aerodynamics issue.

I returned to the dealer - Cupar Motorcycles - and got them to raise the screen to the maximum height, but the change was minimal. The total adjustment range seems to be around 20mm. There will be a taller touring screen available at an extra 38mm in height, but I'm not convinced it will fix the issue. It reminded me of the 1150GS which couldn't be fixed whichever screen I tried. In the end, that was largely sorted with Tobinators. I think the RE issue has the same root cause - the screen is too close to the bike and a low pressure area is generated which causes turbulence.

I was ready to buy the bike, but now I'm thinking I will wait to see what aftermarket accessory screens become available.

I took one of these for a test ride yesterday. A great bike - punchy power delivery, excellent handling, comfortable, brilliant brakes.

I don't care about the lack of cruise control - I've never had a bike with it so don't miss it. Was WAS a deal-breaker for me was the turbulence around the screen causing wind roar that increased with speed to the point where, at 70mph and above, it was intrusive and unbearable for more than a few miles. I was wearing ear plugs, regular full-face helmet and normal textile jacket - all the noise was from the bike. In fact, even at 30mph, there was the beginnings of wind noise, so I do believe it's an aerodynamics issue.

I returned to the dealer - Cupar Motorcycles - and got them to raise the screen to the maximum height, but the change was minimal. The total adjustment range seems to be around 20mm. There will be a taller touring screen available at an extra 38mm in height, but I'm not convinced it will fix the issue. It reminded me of the 1150GS which couldn't be fixed whichever screen I tried. In the end, that was largely sorted with Tobinators. I think the RE issue has the same root cause - the screen is too close to the bike and a low pressure area is generated which causes turbulence.

I was ready to buy the bike, but now I'm thinking I will wait to see what aftermarket accessory screens become available.
I rode one yesterday and agree with you. Great bike but the screen spoiled it for me.I found the screen was worse than on the DE. I think the screen is just too vertical and like you I don’t think the touring screen will make the job better.. Shame because the engine and gearbox was superb,and a comfortable seat.

I rode the bike for almost 4 hours and apart from the screen issues loved it.
Adding centre stand,heated grips,hand guards and mirror extensions added roughly £700 plus fitting.

By the time a decent after market screen and perhaps even winglets become available, the base price would be realistically a grand up on standard. The DE looks to be a more attractive package perhaps?

By the time a decent after market screen and perhaps even winglets become available, the base price would be realistically a grand up on standard. The DE looks to be a more attractive package perhaps?

I don’t think so. According to all reviews the RE is a better road-only option than the DE, and that’s what I’m looking for. The DE screen seems not to be an issue, to maybe fitting that to the RE is the answer. If would sacrifice some wind protection for a quieter ride.

Well, that's one answer, as it directs wind blast more to the chest avoiding the usual buffeting, or something like the higher touring screen but add an MRA X-flow adjustable spoiler to it. That, the touring screen, heated grips, cruise, centrestand, handguards and wing mirror extentions will easily add up to a grand more though having looked at the pricing. I have oxford heated grips to mine and they're excellent. Acerbis offer some decent hand guards which will fit. I ordered mine from Dirtbike Express for the RS but they also fit the V Strom.

Where did you get the accessory pricing from? The Suzuki website doesn't give any pricing for the RE accessory prices yet, and the DE accessories are different (mostly). The DE alternative screen is lower than the RE Touring Screen and, I assume, the RE centre stands will be shorter than the DE version.

Note also that Suzuki are throwing in their heated grips for free at the moment.

I took a stab at screen and centre stand costs being £250 all in after checking what other makers charge. Didn’t realise they were offering free heated grips… no brainer. X flow I got from hps, and hand guards I have the receipt for! Cruise is reported as a £360 extra but realise you didn’t need that, so £600 to £700 minus heated grips cost then. Whatever; it’s splitting hairs as it’s not a deal breaker at that all up cost for a decent bike.

Back
Top Bottom