800gs breakdown

lacedr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went out on my 08 gs , bike was stuttering a little when first ridden, I hadn’t ridden it for a while and just thought it was a little damp. The bike stalled and wouldn’t start against 30-35 minutes it started and I would home although it wouldn’t rev past about 2.5k.
bike is kept outside under cover.

Any how today thought would treat it to new plugs etc. the bike started although was ticking over a little high about 1.3-1.4 k bike ticked over for about 5 minutes then stalled and wouldn’t re start.

The rectifier and the the stator weee both quite hot and the rectifier wiring was hot to touch as well.

I am guessing one or the other is at fault any idea how to check them.
The rectifier is not the original one.
Tia

I went out on my 08 gs , bike was stuttering a little when first ridden, I hadn’t ridden it for a while and just thought it was a little damp. The bike stalled and wouldn’t start against 30-35 minutes it started and I would home although it wouldn’t rev past about 2.5k.
bike is kept outside under cover.

Any how today thought would treat it to new plugs etc. the bike started although was ticking over a little high about 1.3-1.4 k bike ticked over for about 5 minutes then stalled and wouldn’t re start.

The rectifier and the the stator weee both quite hot and the rectifier wiring was hot to touch as well.

I am guessing one or the other is at fault any idea how to check them.
The rectifier is not the original one.
Tia
Assume this is a 650/700/800 ?
Do you know its service history? Mileage?
Sounds like the ubiqutious fuel pump problem, but could also be the start of the electrical problems.
Both problems are well documented on here, if not the resolutions.

Assume this is a 650/700/800 ?
Do you know its service history? Mileage?
Sounds like the ubiqutious fuel pump problem, but could also be the start of the electrical problems.
Both problems are well documented on here, if not the resolutions.
800gs, in the last 12 months new fuel pump and controller fitted

Mileage?
Sadly, it does sound like it might be the start of electrical problems - get yourself a Manual and check out the various tests for the rotor & stator.

Stator would be my guess. The earlier 800s were fitted with a flywheel that didn’t allow enough cooling….more holes were added to the part from 2013 onwards.

I had an ‘09 and when the stator packed up had a rewind done which didn’t last long. I then tried a second hand one from a low mileage bike but the died too.
At around the mileage your bike has i replaced the flywheel using the updated 2013 onwards part and a genuine rectifier.

Problem solved. I sold the bike at 126,000 miles and as far as I’m aware it’s still happily running with 10,000 more added to the total.

Of course, it could be lots of other things.
As for the fuel pump, my experience of that was that it only caused problems when the level in the fuel tank was below a third and the ambient temperature was above 35 degrees C.
Again, a secondhand unit from a slightly later bike solved that.

Reactions: Bem
finally got the generator and reg fitted bike started fine with the replacement parts not getting overly hot, so far so good. i then turned the bike off went to restart and it wouldn't plugged in the gs 911 and it came up with oxygen sensor on bank one , unplugged the sensor and the bike started. another thing to add to the shopping list !!

New sensor fitted bike run lovely now.
Checked the rear shock bolt which is bent due to the bush being worn.
Might try hagons to see If they have a bush for it.

Might be able to ride it o e day !

Hi, my 650gs twin died while riding recently. Having had fuel pump problems in the past assumed it was the pump again. I didn't check the voltage to the pump.
Earth ok, one wire a few milliamps and the other 3.5v with ignition on.
Turns over fine and code reader says no faults (right). Checked all the kill switches and replaced kickstand switch 'cos it a pig to get at.
Shows no connection between plug and ecu in book, do I fear the worst.
What is the obvious thing I'm missing.
Thanks for reading, getting desperate. Russ.

Back
Top Bottom