advice on battery problem/charging

I had all sorts of issues with my R1250GS failing start culminating in them changing the alternator, which screwed up the clutch and they had thedamn bikle back three times last autumn. I tried to convice BMW to buy it back at a non-derisory price and failed, and couldn't sell it privately so decided I'd have to live with the bloody thing in the spring.

Since then, it's been perfect.

I ride most days but the commute to work is short - and it's sat for a couple of weeks at a time whilst I had holidays (and a heart attack) and it seems entirely fine now. It has a tracker fitted. I have no idea what they did to it when they replaced the alternator but it seems to have sorted it, finally. Shame they didn't get it right first time, but hey ho.

I have no idea what they did to it when they replaced the alternator but it seems to have sorted it, finally. Shame they didn't get it right first time, but hey ho.

It could have been a failing diode in the voltage regulator part of the charging circuit, allowing some back current to flow through the windings when not charging.

Pukmeister, you could well be right, though you’d think they’d have worked that out before taking the engine to bits….

IIRC the alternator electrics are not internal, but the whirly bits obviously are

Littleade.. so when cancelling trackers dose that not disconnect from elec system on bike? So even when cancelled the trackers still draw power? as I did not fit the trackers so not sure how they are disconnected From the elec system

Sorry for the confusion- I've also disconnected it, it's a simple job to unplug it once you know where it is ;)

Back
Top Bottom