Announced: New connected ride navigator

You do it have to use Siri on the Goldwing, you use buttons on the left switchgear I think, @Arsey can confirm this, just to be certain. I can’t see a reason why wonder wheel wouldn’t work.

In wife’s VW Polo, we have Apple CarPlay, you have a choice of and ways to use it with. These being Siri, use of touch screen or right hand headunit control knob.

Same with my Mazda. As soon as car play runs the music, nav and voice activation all work from Apple.
Much better than in built stuff. Can’t understand why any vehicle (or bike) manufacturers bother to complete with the likes of Waze, google maps or TomTom. Much better to just make your stuff compatible with CarPlay and android auto and let people use what they want, plus it’s all future proofed too.

I suspect the BMW might fancy using their own software, because they can ‘spy’ (if that‘s not too emotive a word) on the vehicle.

My son-in-law works as an electrical automotive engineer at Ford’s Dunton works, only on ‘medium sized’ vans. The data they can access is considerable, much of it required by global legislation. There’s a lot more coming soon, which just needs turning on (in other words the sensors are all there, just inactive) and an awful lot more legislation on the cards. White van man really does not appreciate quite what he is sitting in.

How the various parts of the vehicle ‘talk’ to each other is all but incredible and how something as ‘simple’ as a Transit becomes very complicated when one variant has just the driver and passenger, with an empty cargo hold, whilst another has rear seating for say, six, all with seat belts, different doors, multiple airbags, internal lighting systems…. And another has a bulkhead but another doesn’t….. and some are right hand drive and others left….. some have a tow bar, others don’t….. the list goes on and on. Just moving the side door from near side to offside creates all sorts of problems as the cable runs are different lengths, the different lengths creating other electrical challenges. Someone in Ford announces, ”We need to lose a quarter of a meter of cable, to save weight and cost”, is not quite so simple from an electrical engineering point of view.

Last edited:
I suspect the BMW might fancy using their own software, because they can ‘spy’ (if that‘s not too emotive a word) on the vehicle.

My son-in-law works as an electrical automotive engineer at Ford’s Dunton works, only on ‘medium sized’ vans. The data they can access is considerable, much of it required by global legislation. There’s a lot more coming soon, which just needs turning on (in other words the sensors are all there, just inactive) and an awful lot more legislation on the cards. White van man really does not appreciate quite what he is sitting in.

How the various parts of the vehicle ‘talk’ to each other is all but incredible and how something as ‘simple’ as a Transit becomes very complicated when one variant has just the driver and passenger, with an empty cargo hold, whilst another has rear seating for say, six, all with seat belts, different doors, multiple airbags, internal lighting systems…. And another has a bulkhead but another doesn’t….. and some are right hand drive and others left….. some have a tow bar, others don’t….. the list goes on and on. Just moving the side door from near side to offside creates all sorts of problems as the cable runs are different lengths, the different lengths creating other electrical challenges. Someone in Ford announces, ”We need to lose a quarter of a meter of cable, to save weight and cost”, is not quite so simple from an electrical engineering point of view.
Interesting you mention this Richard. Watching a BBC Wales Crash detectives a while back. I’ve learned something. Investigating officers ask suspect questions such as:
How did you feel prior to incident?
Do you recall what speed you were traveling at prior to incident?
And some other relevant question they try to get out of the person involved, to gauge what sort of lifestyle they lead, their work patterns, etc.

In a couple instances, they were able to establish, whether the vehicle prior to the impact had brakes applied, how much force was being exerted onto a brake pedal, steering angle, and at what speed did vehicle travel at prior to brakes being applied (if applicable) as well as what speed did vehicle impact at at. All of this information in a form of a graph was being downloaded from the Airbag central control module. There is hardly any point in trying to hide or lye about anything nowadays from the investigating officers, as it will be found out anyway.
You can’t leave your own home these days, without being recorded on somebody’s CCTV, doorbell or a dash-cam.

You can’t leave your own home these days, without being recorded on somebody’s CCTV, doorbell or a dash-cam.

Bods here moan about this, as they see it as an intrusion into their lives and privacy. When a bike is nicked, the selfsame bods will within moments post, “Mate, see if there is any CCTV footage”. Knock them off their awesome and they’ll be begging for any footage they can scrape up from anywhere.

One of the key ways the random attack murderer of my friend’s daughter’s boyfriend was caught and convicted, was through lots of carefully sourced and then analysed CCTV from many sources.

Bods here moan about this, as they see it as an intrusion into their lives and privacy. When a bike is nicked, the selfsame bods will within moments post, “Mate, see if there is any CCTV footage”. Knock them off their awesome and they’ll be begging for any footage they can scrape up from anywhere.

One of the key ways the random attack murderer of my friend’s daughter’s boyfriend was caught and convicted, was through lots of carefully sourced and then analysed CCTV from many sources.

If only to make a timely point. Without the CCTV the police would, presumably, have no way of evidencing or sharing the woman’s last known movements. Pretty high quality, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom