Arai Concept-XE

tis eye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Arrived today from Sportsbikeshop.

Looks great out of the box except for the ridiculous amount of stickers plastered over it without a thought... It has (had) a Gold ACU approval sticker slapped about 2" off centre to the right on a angle, which on an all black helmet looked stupid, it had another sticker about 40mm square on the back dead centre that just had the name of the helmet on it, another to the left with the weight, another to the right with advise on what visor to use, another on the top of the visor, then the visor protector itself, once that was all removed aided by a steaming kettle - it's a really nice lid.

It has a host of other features which you can see on the website but the two that caught my eye when looking for a new retro lid were Emergency Release System (ERS) - Allows easier access to an injured rider. By pulling the orange tabs integrated in the pads, the cheek pads slide out. Making helmet removal easier for trained medical personnel and rescuers. Minimising the risk of additional injury.
And - Breath guard - Works in conjunction with the dual-pivot® chin vent to better direct fresh air to the inside surface of the shield while at the same time directing hot breath down and away from the inside surface of the shield.

I also like the little lever which is really easy to lift with a gloved hand to partly release the visor but at the same time it has a built in tab to stop it opening further on it's own, also the front vents that are usually somewhere on the top of the helmet that you can't get at once on the bike are now built into the top of the visor itself and once open they line up with the small airways in the helmet itself, easy to get at if you need to on the move with a gloved hand.

It fits really snug for me without removing any of the peel off 5mm inserts designed to give you that perfect fit. It's a double D fastener which for me is a deal breaker on any helmet as i hate the new clip in systems, traditional Double D all the way. Once on it was really light to wear, i have the carbon version which a bit lighter than the fibreglass versions.

Picking up my sunglasses, i was wondering how difficult they would be to squeeze down the sides given the comfy but nice snug fit.... i was pretty gobsmacked when my glasses went straight on seemingly as if i didn't even have a helmet on at all!! no pressure, no effort, no pushing and jiggling, they just slid on and off and rested nicely on my nose as they should without that annoying pressing down that i often get leaving the bridge of my nose a bit sore with other helmets when you can't get the glasses exactly where you want them... very very impressed with that. I went for the Frosty Black but they have a great range of colours and styles.

Really chuffed, highly recommended from me, if your after a new 80 styled retro style lid with a few mod cons and bags of comfort make sure this one is on the list.. i'll see how it performs on the bike but according to the visor sticker it's quiet..

Arrived today from Sportsbikeshop.

Looks great out of the box except for the ridiculous amount of stickers plastered over it without a thought... It has (had) a Gold ACU approval sticker slapped about 2" off centre to the right on a angle, which on an all black helmet looked stupid, it had another sticker about 40mm square on the back dead centre that just had the name of the helmet on it, another to the left with the weight, another to the right with advise on what visor to use, another on the top of the visor, then the visor protector itself, once that was all removed aided by a steaming kettle - it's a really nice lid.

It has a host of other features which you can see on the website but the two that caught my eye when looking for a new retro lid were Emergency Release System (ERS) - Allows easier access to an injured rider. By pulling the orange tabs integrated in the pads, the cheek pads slide out. Making helmet removal easier for trained medical personnel and rescuers. Minimising the risk of additional injury.
And - Breath guard - Works in conjunction with the dual-pivot chin vent to better direct fresh air to the inside surface of the shield while at the same time directing hot breath down and away from the inside surface of the shield.

I also like the little lever which is really easy to lift with a gloved hand to partly release the visor but at the same time it has a built in tab to stop it opening further on it's own, also the front vents that are usually somewhere on the top of the helmet that you can't get at once on the bike are now built into the top of the visor itself and once open they line up with the small airways in the helmet itself, easy to get at if you need to on the move with a gloved hand.

It fits really snug for me without removing any of the peel off 5mm inserts designed to give you that perfect fit. It's a double D fastener which for me is a deal breaker on any helmet as i hate the new clip in systems, traditional Double D all the way. Once on it was really light to wear, i have the carbon version which a bit lighter than the fibreglass versions.

Picking up my sunglasses, i was wondering how difficult they would be to squeeze down the sides given the comfy but nice snug fit.... i was pretty gobsmacked when my glasses went straight on seemingly as if i didn't even have a helmet on at all!! no pressure, no effort, no pushing and jiggling, they just slid on and off and rested nicely on my nose as they should without that annoying pressing down that i often get leaving the bridge of my nose a bit sore with other helmets when you can't get the glasses exactly where you want them... very very impressed with that. I went for the Frosty Black but they have a great range of colours and styles.

Really chuffed, highly recommended from me, if your after a new 80 styled retro style lid with a few mod cons and bags of comfort make sure this one is on the list.. i'll see how it performs on the bike but according to the visor sticker it's quiet..

I bought one when they were first introduced cause always loved Arai helmets (and only helmets that fit my head shape comfortably). Also sick of eating bugs on my Harley with the Hedon Hedonist - and you can almost get away with this on a hog (although better suited to an R Nine T). Anyway, really like other than the fiddly visor replacement. Definitely think Arai have a sense of humour with all their visor designs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one when they were first introduced cause always loved Arai helmets (and only helmets that fit my head shape comfortably). Also sick of eating bugs on my Harley with the Hedon Hedonist - and you can almost get away with this on a hog (although better suited to an R Nine T). Anyway, really like other than the fiddly visor replacement. Definitely think Arai have a sense of humour with all their visor designs though.

PS. My ocd also shares your contempt of stickers. Methylated spirits, panel wipes and a heat gun are my weapons of choice

- and you can almost get away with this on a hog

I bought it for longer rides on the hog, love the open face and that'll be my choice for a bit of gadding about, but over 60 mph and after a few hours riding even with ear plugs i'll be as deaf as a post with those un-baffeled Bassini Sweepers :D, hopefully this lid will do the trick (y)

Back
Top Bottom