Best Sat Navs

still using a street pilot III great for a to b to c traveling if you dont want bells and whistles system this is a great cheap gps for your bike:thumb2

Hi. Any suggestions as the best sat nav to use for a european trip. My brother reckons not to bother as getting lost is half the fun....
I'm sure he'll find it absolutely bloody hilarious .. until he's the one whose lost, cold, wet, tired and he can't find his hotel / campsite or he's taken the wrong turn at a busy junction. :D

I've got a 2610 and honestly wouldn't leave home on a serious trip without it and even though I still have City Navigator Version 7 maps on it (I think Version 10 is due out soon) it still works well - I only came across 1 new road during a recent blat to Holland. I know you should always take paper maps as a back-up, but on my last 2 trips abroad I didn't which shows how much confidence I have in it - and if the worst happened, I could always buy maps out there anyway. And remember - just because you have GPS it doesn't mean that you can't turn down a good road if you see one - and if getting lost is your idea of fun, then you can always switch it off. :D

You can pick up tidy 2nd hand 2610s with Version 8 maps on e-bay for about £180 - or they come up for sale on here pretty regularly. If you don't get on with it, you can always sell it and get your money back, but once you've tried it I think you'll be convinced. :thumb2

If you do get one though, take some time before the trip to familiarise yourself with it, to get the best from it. Ie don't just plug it in and expect to be a GPS god within minutes. Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but before every trip, I spend a couple of hours re-reading the manual to make sure that I know how to use some of the rarely used features - you'll be surprised how quickly you forget.

Do tell, I'm trying to talk myself into selling the 2610 and buying one!

The Post code facility is crap end of story:mad:.
The unit consistently takes the strangest shortcuts, I have taken advice from Garmin who are superb regarding help and advice but to no avail.
On one trip it routed me with an ETA of 19.19hrs via the route it chose, I chose to drive the Fastest and most Direct route via a dual carriageway the unit had chosen to ignore and no sooner than the unit recalculated the route I was actually to take ETA changed to 19.08hrs a difference of 11minutes:nenau
The Speed camera data base defies description I certainly won't be extending the 90 day free trial, there are 2 cameras on the A40 through the Cotswolds towards Oxford that it didn't warn about luckily because they have been there for at least 10years or more I was aware of them. On a 70mph stretch of dual carriageway on the A4042 it tells me I'm in a 50mph mobile camera location.

In the interests of fair play I've no doubt that if I sat at my computer and plotted the minutae of every route I wanted to take, and then uploaded it to the unit it would take me exactly where I wanted to go but because a lot of the time I don't know in advance where exactly I'll be driving from that's not always possible, and to be honest I just want a unit where I can type in a location and then drive directly to there via the fastest route on the best roads.
The bluetooth and MP3 player are very good.

It cost me £430 about 6-8 weeks ago if anyone would like to take it off my hands they can have it for £375 inc postage and I'll chuck in the 2gig SD card I've bought for it, and the replacement safety screw on the bike mount..

I tend to agree with Blackal on the Zumo issue, dogs numpties and a wee bit of planning and preparation with the internet and mapsource you can plan all your stops for fuel, food and sleeping,probably more of an issue when travelling with pax, I have no complaints, so far.:beer:

I'm sure he'll find it absolutely bloody hilarious .. until he's the one whose lost, cold, wet, tired and he can't find his hotel / campsite or he's taken the wrong turn at a busy junction. :D

I've got a 2610 and honestly wouldn't leave home on a serious trip without it and even though I still have City Navigator Version 7 maps on it (I think Version 10 is due out soon) it still works well - I only came across 1 new road during a recent blat to Holland. I know you should always take paper maps as a back-up, but on my last 2 trips abroad I didn't which shows how much confidence I have in it - and if the worst happened, I could always buy maps out there anyway. And remember - just because you have GPS it doesn't mean that you can't turn down a good road if you see one - and if getting lost is your idea of fun, then you can always switch it off. :D

You can pick up tidy 2nd hand 2610s with Version 8 maps on e-bay for about £180 - or they come up for sale on here pretty regularly. If you don't get on with it, you can always sell it and get your money back, but once you've tried it I think you'll be convinced. :thumb2

If you do get one though, take some time before the trip to familiarise yourself with it, to get the best from it. Ie don't just plug it in and expect to be a GPS god within minutes. Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but before every trip, I spend a couple of hours re-reading the manual to make sure that I know how to use some of the rarely used features - you'll be surprised how quickly you forget.

WELL PUT TAFF!
i've had my 2610 for a few years 100% ok.you will never get upto date maps as roads/junction etc change daily.so you get to a junction and it's now a roundabout it you fook up the garmin will put you right.mine has the v8 and was superb again in spain/portugal/through europe and 7 days through the dolomites this year.spend what you can afford with the latest mapping and ENJOY.;)

Great quote, sums up loads for me...:D
Al, think I might get a 550, but what do you make of the Scale Rider head set ?

I'll let you know...if mine ever arrrives. Been waiting feckin ages- 'spose that what you get for being a tight git and trying to buy in cheap on flea bay:(

For my money the best package is a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 - gives you full postcode search and a decent tracklog. Fully waterproof and bike compatable. Stick it in a Touratech mount, perfect.

Amazingly enough - I'm just about to sell a spare 2720 with Touratech mount, it has full version 9 mapping so is therefore bang up to date. used it on a full euro trip and it didn't screw up once. Has 2D or 3D mapping graphics and you can upload speed camers databases or other POI's. Overall a good improvement over the old (but still very good) 2610.

Just need to work out what it stands me at price wise :augie

I'll let you know...if mine ever arrrives. Been waiting feckin ages- 'spose that what you get for being a tight git and trying to buy in cheap on flea bay:(

I got mine from Global Gizmos, ordered Tuesday 09:00 - arrived at my door 11:00 Wednesday :thumb2

Al :D

Zumo versus Tom Tom Rider2

Anyone have any experience of both of these systems? Looking to purchase a GPS with my (hopefully) new GS this week. I don't normally rely on satnav with my car but I thought it might be useful on the bike. Anything that should steer me towards one or the other? :duno

Go for the Zumo :thumb2

Since its first showing, Garmin have continualy updated the software to improve the unit (retro-installable) - I don't think TomTom even listens to their customers :nenau

Al ;)

TomTom Rider 2 every time.... I wasnt at all impressed with the version one but the V2 with the new ram mount and Scala headset is superb... The phone etc works properly and its easy to use.... Ive tried Garmins etc and although they are good I dont think there as easy to use as the tomtom.

I must admit after my tomtom v1 problems I swore never to buy another tomtom sat nav but the v2 has made me change my mind.

Garmin Quest 2

I've been round Europe a few times using the Quest 2 and it's never let me down, or am I being a bit retro here ?

Back
Top Bottom