BMW 1150GSA - stubby or not to stubby…

Agreed

I have lived with a y piece and stubby for half a year, but find it a bit obnoxiously loud for commuting.

Reading all the comments, considering I want to keep my y piece for massive weight saving it looks like a long Remus or equivalent are on the books

I’ve tried a lot of variations over the years but have gone back to the standard set up. I have a Remus end can, stubby and Y piece somewhere gathering dust.

Ohhh Udders, so tell me more… you may have a Remus (hopefully long / normal exhaust version) gathering dust that you may want to sell…?

Let’s PM if a yes and go from there if you can send some pics?

Thanks!

Good point about panniers Nick

But my bike has the mix of

- OEM top box with ignition key to open / close
- BMW 1150GS black panniers

These work as a great mix for me as my biggest travels are long weekends which means the three together are enough

I made up a kit for dropping the Remus horizontal, like on an RT, so a full sized left pannier can go in place of the slimline GS one.

Attachments

• 4083F4FB-7B4A-4CC8-B61C-152F40020956.jpg
    4083F4FB-7B4A-4CC8-B61C-152F40020956.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 377ABE4A-866A-44AC-931E-6883E892D85E.jpg
    377ABE4A-866A-44AC-931E-6883E892D85E.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 110
I have gone full circle and gone back to the original exhaust from a Remus.I run a Y piece as well.
Just found most of those replacement systems are too loud and I feel really comfortable with my set up.

Exactly the same here. Removed a Remus end can and replaced it with a standard one.

Remus

Exactly the same here. Removed a Remus end can and replaced it with a standard one.

Hi KMD

You still have your Remus exhaust…?

Same as my question to udders

686cede9ddaed269d51c7d9b6d37bf78.jpg

Cat refitted and a new Remus Ti fitted, after I got it from the first owner

Cat and stubby for me too. Tried most configs over the years and cat and stubby for me gives balance between noise and an engine response which feels ‘right’. Looks good too!

y4m0inbFQf0P2qJzk_Lo-9IGRQAA0PmHkNVWC8X7E0_0qyjlfqJRw4gVFIZKdZcFmhPE72wxsKfsEmGlpKDwlQi3BeMRDTCa4ILJCxtF8wUYMVmE2HZS3mOMezctfOuxg40l7aboQS1RyhRpxe4Ed3x14z7kzH7Y7h8S3eV77wKoxchmEi3WYUoVmCPdiEwXOMh

I had to buy new, because most used Remus are battered by the rear pillion footrest hanger bolts (not with mine, as I changed the M8 bolts to shorter ones )

Good to know thanks

it. I’m slender build so every kilo less counts for me and a y piece vs cat saves around 4-5kgs from memory.

Have you removed the ABS block too ...saves quite a bit of high up weight. If you look at end cans don't bother with the cheap beer wolf ones they do not sound nice. One came with my bike when I got it and ended up with y piece and standard can. Reading all the above I think I may put the cat back on as saving weight is no longer an issue. I'd rather the bike rides nice and noise has never appealed.

If a couple of pounds in weight mean so much to you on such a heavy lard arsed bike as the GS i'd recommend you have a good shite before each ride.

If a couple of pounds in weight mean so much to you on such a heavy lard arsed bike as the GS i'd recommend you have a good shite before each ride.

I took more drastic measures and married a woman who owns and rides her own motorbikes so there’s no need to have a shit before setting off on a ride :D

Have you removed the ABS block too ...saves quite a bit of high up weight. If you look at end cans don't bother with the cheap beer wolf ones they do not sound nice. One came with my bike when I got it and ended up with y piece and standard can. Reading all the above I think I may put the cat back on as saving weight is no longer an issue. I'd rather the bike rides nice and noise has never appealed.

Thanks - I think that I’ll end up with a Remus can!

LOL

And I only ride naked, that’s another 1-2kgs saved. Weight is indeed key for me

When I was 21, I thought obnoxious exhausts were cool.

Now I'm in my 40's I just think "Twat"

No one likes a hairdrier. But no need to irritate everyone either.

When I was 21, I thought obnoxious exhausts were cool.

Now I'm in my 40's I just think "Twat"

No one likes a hairdrier. But no need to irritate everyone either.

another +1 for both the above.

Its not even like they look better either.
everyone slags off Suzuki for their shit looking big round exhausts, buys a GS then fits a Suzuki looking end can???

what's that all about, i don't get it?

Back
Top Bottom