Own an 1150GSA but thinking of about a 1200GSA (2011-2013 only)

And this, for me, is where the TC has advantage over the later bikes. You can set up the preload and damping to be right for you over the three different ESA preset options.

You've probably summed it up there. I'm fortunate enough to have an 1150 GSA and a twin cam 1200 GSA and if I had to give one up it would be tough to choose. The 1150 did let me down twice, once was the hall effect sensor and the second time water ingress due to riding to Scotland during a monsoon. The 1200 is faster and a bit more refined, but to me feels taller and with the weight higher. Every time I start thinking I could get rid of the 1150 though, I hop back on it and change my mind.

I tend to ride the 1150 if I'm out for a few hours, but stick to the 1200 for tours and full on 8-hour days.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in a 1200 twin cam, but some are.

To sum it up, FIIK!

Ola Ricardo,

Ok, you have the sweet spot - 1150GSA and a 1200GSA!!!

That would be sweet but unfortunately it’s 1 bike only for me. I think it’s a stay with what I have, but little jealous looks at a 1200GSA every so often!

In real life, how is the power difference?

Power wise....I said I doubt you'd really notice much more power.....and you won't. c15%

If a big adv bike means you don't get cold on the motorway, imagine how good something like an RT would be, proper fairing etc...and cheaper for effectively the same bike as the GSA. Just a thought

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...D22 9QL&price-to=17000&sort=price-asc&fromsra

Twin cam for less than £5k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...D22 9QL&price-to=17000&sort=price-asc&fromsra

Davey

You read my mind - I indeed was very tempted by an 1150RT.

HOWEVER;

My riding involves some countryside roads and weekend trips are in the usual countryside type of areas. I find that the GS is perfect for my mixed riding of central peak time London with open roads. I think the RT would unfortunately take away from the ‘fun’ bit and be that little bit too big for the central London parts…

Simply put, the GS ergonomics fit me really well.

I had two 1200 single cams, an early 2004 GS and a 2008 GSA (Model Upgrade). I loved them both.

I now own a 1250GSA and I love it about as much as my washing machine (Don't get me wrong its a fantastic bike, but a bit soulless and refined compared to the earlier bikes.)

If I ever sell my 1250 I'd probably look out for a TC GSA.

I had two 1200 single cams, an early 2004 GS and a 2008 GSA (Model Upgrade). I loved them both.

I now own a 1250GSA and I love it about as much as my washing machine (Don't get me wrong its a fantastic bike, but a bit soulless and refined compared to the earlier bikes.)

If I ever sell my 1250 I'd probably look out for a TC GSA.

Thanks Puk

I probably should have mentioned - I was very lucky to get to ride a motorbike buddies 1250GS while we were out on one of our trips a year ago. Indeed it was an amazing bike, it had instant torque, great acceleration, felt quite agile and light, smooth suspension, quick shifter, great TFT, the list goes on.

I should have loved it. I enjoyed riding it and then totally understood why I struggled to keep up with him (we have fairly similar riding ability so the 1250 when pushed by him means my fat elephant 1150GSA is simply out of its depth).

Nonetheless, once back on my own 1150, I was happy… I mean very happy, there was no part of me saying “oh yeah I want to blow an extra £12k on top of selling this 1150 to get one of those… annoyingly I know what people who have replied to this thread mean re the 1150.

No matter how much “better” the other bike is on paper and even when you ride them, there is something special about the 1150.

Yeah you need to try a TC. The right blend of character and innovation from an 1150.

Though luckily we are all different so may not work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah you need to try a TC. The right blend of character and innovation from an 1150.

Oh come on Nin - don’t tempt with to join Darth Vader, I was quite happy with Luke.

But yes, a 2010 to 2012 BMW R1200GSA teases me every so often. It’s probably a good thing that a test ride is difficult to get as it means I won’t be tempted away from the 1150.

1150 vs 1200…

Attachments

• 0A789451-7047-4C47-BD56-A259F788BA43.jpeg
    0A789451-7047-4C47-BD56-A259F788BA43.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 98
Ola Ricardo,

Ok, you have the sweet spot - 1150GSA and a 1200GSA!!!

That would be sweet but unfortunately it’s 1 bike only for me. I think it’s a stay with what I have, but little jealous looks at a 1200GSA every so often!

In real life, how is the power difference?

Don't forget that the gearing is different on the 2 bikes. I had a 2010 TC and wanted a higher gear or overdrive on the motorways. My 1150R hits that seet spot for the odd motorway commute. I would love the 1150 gearing in a twin cam.

didn't you spend months looking for your current bike ?

Ola Neo

Good memory!

Indeed, I bought a 1150GS as my first dabble into GSs. Liked it so much that I decided to get the daddy, an 1150GSA but I wanted it low mileage and 2005 so that I had the youngest I could. Needed to be well looked after etc.

I found one, in plenty of time for a big European trip to the Ardennes. Box ticked, it became my work horse and all rounder for everything.

I’m happy, it’s a great bike that means when I commute in the deep cold, I don’t get cold, while allowing me to do pretty anything I want in comfort.

But… I know that the 1200GSA from 2010-2012 is a great torquey bike, so part of me yearns for that little bit less weight and that little bit more powarrrrrr

My fear is that indeed I will get the 1200 and want the simplicity of the 1150. I would choose reliability over anything else every time hence my gut preference for the 1150

Let’s face it, it’s a nice problem to have;

Do I keep my do it all fun 1150 or do I get a 1200?

Ride one with aftermarket suspension and then see how much better it is
Best improvement you can make to any bike is properly sprung suspension

Having just had my suspension ‘breathed on’ by Denz0, I can attest to the wisdom of JB’s comment!

Hi All

Pigglet thread on whether our wonderful bikes will some day become classics got me thinking about my conundrum:

- I had always wanted to own and ride on a big trip with an 1150GSA
- That box has now been ticked, I rode the big beast on a European trip last year and loved the fact that even after that amount of hard riding, I was able to do some work on late Sunday night, as I was so fresh and not exhausted. Something that simply has never been possible before on any other bike I have ever owned. See pic attached from that trip
- I ride it religiously for my weekly commute and needed to arrive in the office at an early time for an extremely important meeting on a day when temperatures were hovering -4 to -6’c and I rode in. Again, was warm enough and the bike behaved faultlessly. I have never ridden near 0 before and being warm like I am on the 1150GSA has never been normal before

So, quick answer is I’m happy. It’s a 2005 version with sub 40k miles and all the trinkets I would want inc fog lights for my night time living middle of nowhere return from work (now even has an original top box so it’s perfect for me and my weekly commute)

However, I am still in my 40s and have always enjoyed having a bit of “oomph”. The GSA was amazing on my European trip, but I would love to have a few more ponies… hence my question here:

Q: Has anyone got any experience of riding a 1150GSA vs the 1200GSA from 2012 ish which are the models upgraded with more hp? Is it a marked difference? Unable to do a test ride near me hence the ask

My biggest worry about the 1200GSA from 2012 ish is reliability… will it be as bullet proof as my 1150GSA which I know is a great bike vs the penny pinching done on the 1200 builds. I don’t want to buy a 1200 and then within a couple of years start having to pay for this or that. On my 1150GSA, everything is so simple that between me self service and some Steptoe for more complex stuff (or when I haven’t got time), I am sorted for many years to come at reasonable prices

Anyway, just a thought and interested in all replies
hi i think the 2012 1200gsa had the best engine with its twin cam and dropped the servo breaks did i say i am selling my 1200 gsa 2012

hi i think the 2012 1200gsa had the best engine with its twin cam and dropped the servo breaks did i say i am selling my 1200 gsa 2012
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately I have already bought my 2012 GSA a few weeks ago!!!

Best of luck and take care

Attachments

• IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 26
Keep the 1150.
I've been into BMWs since the 80's. Got my first GS (an 1100) in mid 90's. Was in SE Asia then and the thing was a revelation even on crap fuel, crappier roads and no local BMW dealers in Laos. Shipped her back to UK and then BMW brought out the 1150. Traded in the 1100 and 23 years later she's still with me. Had 7 other bikes since then which have now all gone. I still ride "big gee" most days and although now in my twilight years (I stopped paying for prescriptions years ago😁) will still be popping off to France and Spain in a couple of weeks on the 1150.
Had a 1200RT twin cam and a wc thinking they would be better for those long trips I still do. And they were. But I never turned round and looked at them when I got to where I was going the same as I do with the 1150.

Back
Top Bottom