Buying a new 1250 TE

If I was you, based on having three GS's, I would get a GS1250 rather than a GSA - I don't understand why anyone wouldn't but each to their own of course.

Nav - get a Garmin XT
Panniers - BMW adventure panniers are worth it and I think they are pretty much the best. I have not found any that are much better.
Heated seats - absolutely. Freezing cold and heavy rain through Co Sligo last autumn and I was very pleased I had them! I ride most days through winter too and it is on more than it is not. Very useful.
Other bits - SW Motech engine bars, SW Motech tank bag, gear lever extender, adventure screen, Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres, Keis heated top, toolbox is good too.

A few of us on here bought new 1250's recently & my GSA I collected in November.

I have the heated seats & thought I'd never use it, but figured I may as well insist on it being part of the spec' as I was doing the deal. Well I have actually used the heated seat and it was ace so definitely do get them.
Got mine in June last year, sadly heated seats weren't an option, had they been I'd have had them.
I have the GSA so the ally panniers which I'd say are nicely put together and remarkably light too, sat nav prep as I already have a Nav VI to use, Chinese hand guard extenders are a must for me (tinted so look OK too), Chinese Mud Slings work fine & Chinese air deflector for the screen. Medium size Givi tank bag and that's my lot.
I got the BMW panniers/top box as part of my deal. They're well made fit perfectly, not waterproof though or at least they state that to cover themselves. I've used mine in fairly heavy rain for a few hours and they didn't leak, that said my kit was packed in waterproof bags just in case.

Got a SW Motech Pro tank bag which is very well made, great bit of kit for the incidentals you need to get at, when the top box is too big. I found the Std screen perfect for me at 6ft, fitted a genuine Mudsling had no personnel experience with the knock off stuff. That said I know a few who've had bad experiences with them, but as with most of the knock off stuff, there's a huge range of quality.

Personally I would avoid the alarm & be sure you get the SOS.

I had a tracker fitted (ins requirement) so didn't bother with a BMW alarm, it's a Datatool in any case. I haven't with most of my current or other bikes for 20 odd years, just go for layered physical visible security.

If I was you, based on having three GS's, I would get a GS1250 rather than a GSA - I don't understand why anyone wouldn't but each to their own of course.
More tank range, was my reason plus a few other things that are std on a GSA that aren't on a GS eg the luggage racks . I also like the bigger road presents, but like you say it's personnel preference.

Bumot soft panniers are a good option and fit directly onto OEM frames.

More tank range, was my reason plus a few other things that are std on a GSA that aren't on a GS eg the luggage racks . I also like the bigger road presents, but like you say it's personnel preference.
More range, more bike, taller, better weather protection, crash bars all over, aux' lights & looks cool. She's a big girl for sure, so absolutely not for everyone. I had a GSA new in 2013 (last of the hex heads) and a GS new in 2020, so have experienced both. In a few years I suspect the GSA will just be too huge for me, but for now the GSA is ideal That plus the new 13 is most definitely not for me just yet of course!

Either are ace.

Nav - get a Garmin XT
Panniers - BMW adventure panniers are worth it and I think they are pretty much the best. I have not found any that are much better.
Heated seats - absolutely. Freezing cold and heavy rain through Co Sligo last autumn and I was very pleased I had them! I ride most days through winter too and it is on more than it is not. Very useful.
Other bits - SW Motech engine bars, SW Motech tank bag, gear lever extender, adventure screen, Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres, Keis heated top, toolbox is good too.

I had a 1250GS that I wasn't really looking to change, but then just for the hell of it I took a test ride on a new GSA not expecting anything would come of it, the difference surprised me, so much so that I had to have one. so that's what I did. It rides better, has better wind protection and just feels more planted. I don't know if the difference was between the 2020 model and the 2023 model, but doubt that. I'm glad I changed.

Heated seat, fantastic for the colder weather

Earn 5 points for using Tosser Cliche #12 , pulling the trigger .

If you sell the bike , don’t forget to ‘test the water ‘
Well I was wondering how long it took for that to get picked up 😂

We’ll deposit tomorrow, pick up on the 2nd March , actually getting quite excited !

Still not worked out which way to go on panniers though . Edging towards using bumot panniers and using my mosko moto 30lt duffel or getting their 40lt pack .

I had a 1250GS that I wasn't really looking to change, but then just for the hell of it I took a test ride on a new GSA not expecting anything would come of it, the difference surprised me, so much so that I had to have one. so that's what I did. It rides better, has better wind protection and just feels more planted. I don't know if the difference was between the 2020 model and the 2023 model, but doubt that. I'm glad I changed.
The GSA has a different steering head angle I’ve had both and prefer the A as you say it rides differently and even though it’s got the 30 tlr tank you have to fill it up, its there if you need it

The GSA has a different steering head angle I’ve had both and prefer the A as you say it rides differently and even though it’s got the 30 tlr tank you have to fill it up, its there if you need it

All that makes a lot of sense. There's a reason for everything.

Last edited:
I'd never looked before & you are most certainly correct. From the BMW Motorrad website:

GSA:
Wheelbase
1,504 mm
Castor
95.4 mm
Steering head angle
65.1°

GS:
Wheelbase
1,514 mm
Castor
100.6 mm
Steering head angle
64.3°

Very wise. My only criteria for my new GSA were no alarm & gold wheels.. Ended up with a Trophy.

Love that new rallye 24 colour scheme. Even the gold wheels look ok :ROFLMAO:

Well just paid the balance ! No turning back now . The only thing i have added and i swore blind i would not do ! But gone and done it is ceramic coating . Will be using it every day more or less so hoping this will make it easier to wash the crap off !

Back
Top Bottom