Castellane, Gorges du Verdon loop

Loved it :clap ...... I wonder how long it would take to get there from Calais? hmmm ...

Thank you for sharing franco :)

Will be there doing the same on 5th and 6th June, staying at Hotel Columbiere In Mousters St Marie as per 2008 trip. Can't wait:thumb2

Teejay

Nice, will be there next thursday on the way to Monza WSB will look out for a 'classic' GS :)

Stu

Loved it :clap ...... I wonder how long it would take to get there from Calais? hmmm ...

Thank you for sharing franco :)

Easyjet to Nice, then you'd be there in under under 2 hours:D You'd have to hire a bike of course. Alternatively I drove from here to Calais in February with the family, took 12 hours, in a big, comfy car, with my wife sharing the driving.

Oops

Talking of 'classics' I saw this when I was in the garage filling up before heading off. Nice old Beemer.

smugshot5456559-XL.jpg

One of the oldie without my classic in front of it :p Interesting forks he's got there.

smugshot1815704-XL.jpg

Great pics Rob - was in the Gorges last year with some mates and had a fantastic ride (the one I had always promised to do with Shenzi but never managed it - anyway, I'm sure he was there in spirit alongside).

For those who haven't been there then this is one of the 'bikers must do's in your life - Robs images show it as it is - clean roads (no crap in the middle or on the edges), breathtaking views and awesome bends:D

Jim McS

Funny you should say that. I was actually thinking of Shenzi today when I was stopped during one of me many photo session, as I'll be over his way in a couple of weeks. I'll raise a glass to the auld fella tonight. :beer:

Franco,

Excellent,photos and write up. Not too jealous as Julie and I are staying in Castellane at the Lavande Campsite 13th August for 3 or 4 nights.

Doing Gorge Du Verdon and Route Des Cretes D23.

I think there will be lots of traffic:eek:

Your post sir has made me very excited.:bounce1:bounce1:D

Lucky Man Franco

What a stunning place to live
Cracking photo,s

Good job it didnt rain tho with that slick on the back;)

I did the Gorges du Verdon at the end of July last year en-route to Santander. Very little traffic other than the odd hay wagon holding up a few cars (which were swiftly passed with a smug smile). Possibly one of the most enjoyable days riding of my life.
Have a great time.

Cool, might be a bit more traffic around then :D Gimme a shout when you're coming, might scoot up for a beer, Castellane is under 45 minutes from where I am.:thumb

We'll be there on Friday 6th July.

We are coming over from the Pyrenees stopping in Sete and will not get time for a loop of the Gorge. Can you recommend the most scenic way into Castellane. :thumb2

We'll be there on Friday 6th July.

We are coming over from the Pyrenees stopping in Sete and will not get time for a loop of the Gorge. Can you recommend the most scenic way into Castellane. :thumb2

Cool, my Mum is over that week, I'll bring her up to Castellane on the bike ha ha.
How long have you got to get from Sete? If you've got to do it in a day, you could always do the first part on the motorway to Avignon, should take an hour and a half or so, then you can go up Mt Ventoux if you've never done it before? From there, head south towards either Apt then onto Manosque. From there head to Valensol and Riez, and this is the area most famous in provence for vast lavender fields which stretch as far as the eye can see. Smells lovely too :D
From Riez, it's 15k or so to Moustiers-St-Marie then you can go along the north side of the Gorge to Castellane, or up to Mezel, then blat down the Route Napoleon, which is longer, but if you're planning a loop of the gorge later, no biggy.:thumb

Rob

Oh yeah

And the first week of July should pretty much be peak time for the lavender :thumb2

166898090_uVBoJ-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom