Castellane, Gorges du Verdon loop

Nice report and great pics. Coming down there end of June and can't wait. :thumb2

Great write and pics Franco, thanks for that:thumb Down that way at end of May camping at Castellane as I did with the mrs last year. Can't wait now!!:beerjug:

A day, but I'm only staying one night - off northwards on the RDGA the following day.

So I'm looking for a route to Castellane which gives me a flavour of the Gorges ;)

Thanks

The north side of the gorge road would give you a good flavour, especially if you do the 'Route des Cretes'. It's a must do really, even if yer knackered after you'll be glad you did :D

Very nice :thumb2

Thats my option B for end of May this year, plan A is Scotland, but if the weather is anything like it is here now in the UK, I'm off down your way.

Quick question, is the weather suitable for camping in late May around the Gorge?

Thinking here: http://www.camping-gorgesduverdon.com/

Cheers :thumb

I'd definitely go for plan B. No idea whether it will rain or not, but average temperatures round here for that time of year are upwards of 22C, whereas in Scotland it's a lottery. Either get cold and wet (likely) in Scotland or warm and wet (unlikely) doon here. That's why I haven't lived in Scotland for years :D

Rob

I'd definitely go for plan B. No idea whether it will rain or not, but average temperatures round here for that time of year are upwards of 22C, whereas in Scotland it's a lottery. Either get cold and wet (likely) in Scotland or warm and wet (unlikely) doon here. That's why I haven't lived in Scotland for years :D

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Any thoughts on the campsite? Website looks ok, but never judge a book as they say!

Just going by Google searches here, can you recommend any local places?

Initial thoughts are it looks nice, however it is 9.5kms from Castellane, which means a long walk back from town if ye've had a beer :D We stayed here a few years back with the kids and it was grand, not too far to walk into town either (about 10 minutes even with their wee legs) I think it's the closest one to town so would probably get booked up quite quickly :thumb2

Initial thoughts are it looks nice, however it is 9.5kms from Castellane, which means a long walk back from town if ye've had a beer :D We stayed here a few years back with the kids and it was grand, not too far to walk into town either (about 10 minutes even with their wee legs) I think it's the closest one to town so would probably get booked up quite quickly :thumb2

Brilliant, thanks. I've saved that :thumb2

As I do enjoy the odd drink or two :augie

Franco, is the D23 a one way? I've yet to run around the loop and will be doing it in July. I have heard some people say that it is one way going around clockwise, is this true??:nenau

Ah yes, it is. I didn't know they'd done that until I went around it last month. The one way it starts from the highest point on the way up (clockwise) called the Pas de l'Abauc or something. From there, so on the southern most part, it's one way for a 10km stretch or so. Not bad though, as going clockwise if the more interesting way to do it. Benefits cars and vans more than bikes though.

We absolutely love this part of the world - I've really enjoyed this thread:thumb2

For camping, our favourite site is Camping Les Pres at Aups - open all year & very friendly. We'll be back in September no doubt:beerjug:

Ah yes, it is. I didn't know they'd done that until I went around it last month. The one way it starts from the highest point on the way up (clockwise) called the Pas de l'Abauc or something. From there, so on the southern most part, it's one way for a 10km stretch or so. Not bad though, as going clockwise if the more interesting way to do it. Benefits cars and vans more than bikes though.

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

At the Gorge, 1985 :D

selnpx.jpg

Superb. :thumb Great to see classic old photies of people touring. Wish I had some photos of me jaunt to Ardnamurchan on my CB175 around 1981 I think.....or the 1979 photos of camping in Glen Clova two-up on me SS50 :beer:

OOoffff

So, yesterday, had a mate down here for a few days and we were doing some cycling. Told him about the Route des Cretes, and we thought "feck it, let's go". Having done this on the bike, I didn't think the climb from the Auberge des Cretes up to the top of the hill would be THIS bad :eek:

smugshot4836985-XL.jpg

Not as fit as I thought I was :D

Looking happy over the downhill side :D

smugshot2432651-L.jpg

Lovely weather and scenery as ever.

smugshot5143599-XL.jpg

smugshot647715-XL.jpg

Feckin hot though....

545614_3613988062190_1048456099_3360959_1778279910_n.jpg

Like a previous post camped at top end of gorge with kids two years ago, walk into Castalane for food/beer/wine vital. But also find time to have a go at the white water rafting, wasn't extreme but great way to meet to fab people.

Back
Top Bottom