CAUTION - Update problems

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I switched on my Zumo this afternoon to transfer some routes via Garmin Drive it told me that updates (4) were available. I set it to install these updates.

Since then I have been unable to install any routes (trips) onto the unit. It will install tracks but it will not convert them to trips variously saying that the 'route cannot be calculated'; 'route memory is full' and 'failed to import new trips'

A couple of hours of 'chatting' with Garmin online chat helper proved fruitless and they have sent me an email asking for a load of information most of which I'm not IT literate enough to provide

I purchased the Zumo in March and it has been fine until today and the latest update. It's looking like a return to the retailer although I'm waiting for a call from Garmin which has been arranged by the retailer

Just a word to the wise everyone, there may be an issue with the latest updates

When I switched on my Zumo this afternoon to transfer some routes via Garmin Drive it told me that updates (4) were available. I set it to install these updates.

Since then I have been unable to install any routes (trips) onto the unit. It will install tracks but it will not convert them to trips variously saying that the 'route cannot be calculated'; 'route memory is full' and 'failed to import new trips'

A couple of hours of 'chatting' with Garmin online chat helper proved fruitless and they have sent me an email asking for a load of information most of which I'm not IT literate enough to provide

I purchased the Zumo in March and it has been fine until today and the latest update. It's looking like a return to the retailer although I'm waiting for a call from Garmin which has been arranged by the retailer

Just a word to the wise everyone, there may be an issue with the latest updates

Can you tell us exactly which version map update & software it is, numerically ?

After I updated my 396 with the 2024 CN update, the routing from a freshly imported route from BaseCamp was obviously wrong. Turning it off, and back on again thankfully the 396 was happy again.

Next I updated my XT with the 2024 map, and very unusually the XT connected straight away to Express, and downloaded the maps and updates without a glitch. I'm waiting to wake up and find it didn't do that!

The information gleaned from the “About” screen
Is as follows -

Hardware version -V9 Pv3 DT
Software Version - 6.50
GPS Firmware - 9.00.37
Map - CN Europe NTU 2023.20 Foursquare

It reports itself as up to date

1. If you go:

Settings > Map & Vehicle > Scroll down > My Maps installed maps

What does it say against each box?

Are all the boxes ticked?

2. If you go:

Home Screen > View Map

What does it show? For example does it show the detailed map for where you live? Does it show the detailed map of say, Helsinki, Rome, London, Berlin and Lisbon?

1. If you go:

Settings > Map & Vehicle > Scroll down > My Maps installed maps

What does it say against each box?

Are all the boxes ticked?

2. If you go:

Home Screen > View Map

What does it show? For example does it show the detailed map for where you live? Does it show the detailed map of say, Helsinki, Rome, London, Berlin and Lisbon?

1. Yes - the following are ticked (the only unticked box is 'Satellite Imagery' for near where I live:

TopoActive Powersports Europe
2022.10 Central
2022.10 West
2022.10 East

Europe DEM

CN Europe NTU 2023.20 Foursquare

2. Home Screen

Shows the detailed map for the streets around my home

Further to my original complaint, I've discovered that I can not plot any route at all. The search for a location facility won't work and I can't get the unit to plan routes to anywhere from history, favourites or any of the options by pressing the 'where to' button

1. Yes - the following are ticked (the only unticked box is 'Satellite Imagery' for near where I live:

2022.10 Central
2022.10 West
2022.10 East

Europe DEM

2. Home Screen

Further to my original complaint, I've discovered that I can not plot any route at all. The search for a location facility won't work and I can't get the unit to plan routes to anywhere from history, favourites or any of the options by pressing the 'where to' button

I think Wapping is heading in the right direction regarding your problem - you should untick the Topo maps as they have been proven to cause problems when navigating a route using CN Europe NTU mapping

I think Wapping is heading in the right direction regarding your problem - you should untick the Topo maps as they have been proven to cause problems when navigating a route using CN Europe NTU mapping

Sounded promising but alas no success.

Incidentally, another fault - the search function has ceased to work. It neither suggests places as I’m typing or finds places even when the full name is typed into the search bar

I’ve emailed the retailer asking for a refund or replacement

I did the updates last night.

I haven't tried anything with it yet but my CN maps are 2024.10.

Used my computer for the update process.

PS.

I think you should update to 2024.10 as mine seems to be ok after a quick look

Have you tried dragging the map away from home and zooming in to distant and somewhat exotic locations, as I suggested?

If so, what level of detail did you get?

Have you tried dragging the map away from home and zooming in to distant and somewhat exotic locations, as I suggested?

If so, what level of detail did you get?

Sorry, I misunderstood your suggestion.

I've tried what you asked - the map on the satnav shows the location of European cities and allows me to swipe across to them but when I zoom in there is no detailed mapping, only a blue dot with the name

1. Yes - the following are ticked...

Sounds like your update, didn't.
Here's the results of mine.

(settings-map&vehicle-mymaps)
[ ] Topoactive Powersports Europe 2022.10, Central
[ ] Topoactive Powersports Europe 2022.10, East
[ ] Topoactive Powersports Europe 2022.10, West
[x] Europe DEM
[x] CN Europe NTU 2024.10 ALL South
[x] CN Europe NTU 2024.10 North
[x] CN Europe NTU 2024.10 Foursquare

2022.10 Central
2022.10 West
2022.10 East

Europe DEM

2. Home Screen

You are missing the actual City Navigator maps. The “CN Europe NTU 2023.2 Foursquare” isn’t a map, it’s just some POI data and the source is Foursquare, it’s basically like a yellow pages that Garmin buys in.

If you have updated via Wi-Fi the process may not have completed to install all your maps.

Plug the device in to Garmin Express with a Garmin cable. If it tells you there are updates, install them. If your CN maps failed to install at all it should download whatever maps you are missing. Check under view details what is being installed to see if the CN maps are there.

If it doesn’t offer updates, go to Maps>view details and it will tell you what maps are installed. Under “options” click reinstall maps.

That should solve it.

Same just happens to me, I was updating the maps and the computer crashed halfway through, so it thought the maps were there but they weren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berin

Thanks for the advice.

Problem, no matter what I try I can’t get Garmin Express to recognise the XT although it does tell me there is an update to install (I understand that only one app at a time can ‘see’ the XT and Basecamp is closed)

Incidentally, the XT tells me it is up to date, both maps and software. I tried with different cables, Garmin and non Garmin

It sounds like your update was interrupted (maybe a power problem, ISP disconnect, Garmin server problem and others) and files were corrupted. I would try a master reset to see if that recovers the device. If that does not work, return to the retailer as you seem to have initiated.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions. Much appreciated

I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for a week and not having the XT gives me a chance to trial the MyRoute App Navigator on my Iphone whilst I await a response from either the retailer or Garmin

Sorry, I misunderstood your suggestion.

I've tried what you asked - the map on the satnav shows the location of European cities and allows me to swipe across to them but when I zoom in there is no detailed mapping, only a blue dot with the name

OK, that solves the mystery.

As I guessed, the device does not have the detailed maps for the whole of Europe installed. Or, if they are installed, they are not active ie. ‘Ticked’. That is why it cannot create or display routes.

The XT is capable of updating its software and maps wirelessly over the internet, which is the method I use. It seems to do it reliably (touch wood) over a reasonably fast internet connection.

Try:

1. Turning on the device, without connecting it to your PC.

2. Connecting the device to your home wifi.

3. Go to the updates section and see if you can perform an update, including an update of the maps.

If that works, great. Problem solved.

If it doesn’t work…..

1. Back up whatever data the device holds, favourites for example, to your PC.

2. Perform a hard re-set of the device. This will delete your personal data but it won’t delete anything that Garmin installed from new. If you are not bothered about losing any personal data, skip stage 1.

3. Then update the software and maps wirelessly, ie. without the device being connected via your PC.

Does that work?

OK, that solves the mystery.

As I guessed, the device does not have the detailed maps for the whole of Europe installed. Or, if they are installed, they are not active ie. ‘Ticked’. That is why it cannot create or display routes.

The XT is capable of updating its software and maps wirelessly over the internet, which is the method I use. It seems to do it reliably (touch wood) over a reasonably fast internet connection.

Try:

1. Turning on the device, without connecting it to your PC.

2. Connecting the device to your home wifi.

3. Go to the updates section and see if you can perform an update, including an update of the maps.

If that works, great. Problem solved.

If it doesn’t work…..

1. Back up whatever data the device holds, favourites for example, to your PC.

2. Perform a hard re-set of the device. This will delete your personal data but it won’t delete anything that Garmin installed from new. If you are not bothered about losing any personal data, skip stage 1.

3. Then update the software and maps wirelessly, ie. without the device being connected via your PC.

Does that work?

Wapping, thanks for your suggestions.

I've tried to wifi update and the unit tells me it is up to date. I've tried the hard reset on a couple of occasions and once it restarts, the same problems are apparent.

I've given up and have now returned the satnav to the retailer (Bikerswear UK) for either repair or (hopefully) replacement

Back
Top Bottom