Do I have a gearbox or clutch problem ???

Radar_UK

Reaction score
Since buying my Dakar last year the gearbox has never felt as smooth as I thought it should do but I always thought 'they all were like that'...

Now I've recently noticed that on occassion I hear a metallic clink when I change up (bit like a stone hitting something metal) - it's not all the time and I can still change into all gears both up and down the box. Sometimes have issues trying to find neutral and sometimes when changing down I don't get the usual clunk and the gear lever feels like it hasn't changind down but I am still moving down the gears....

I've also noticed that once again occassionally the bike feels more vibey when accelerating but like I say other times it feels fine.

Now is it me or my riding style ? I am riding a lot more in the last month so am I just noticing something that has always been there or is something on it's way out ?

Still have some BMW warranty left so if it's likely to be a problem want to get it sorted before it runs out !

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Still have some BMW warranty left so if it's likely to be a problem want to get it sorted before it runs out !
:)
As these sort of things are difficult to diagnose from descriptions alone, I'd get it checked out - that's what the warranty's for - give yourself peace of mind. :thumb2

You might want to make sure the drivetrain is OK first, so start with checking the chain tension, looking for any tight spots, and condition of the sprockets (the front sprocket is hidden away and wears faster than the rear!).
Is the rear sprocket bearing OK? How worn are the cush drives?

Good luck..................

Unless you bought an off road school bike then your bike should be ok. The cluncky gear changing is normal for BMW gear boxes so don't worry too much. Do however change oil and filter, if there is swarf at the sump plug ask the dealer. Also as suggested, check the chain tension.

Well looks like there is something wrong after all - am now getting a lot of vibration in 3rd and 4th so it's off to the dealers I go but they cannot fit me in for 2 weeks !

2 weeks driving to work is going to drive me mad - have to try and convince Mrs Radar to let me use her new F650 GS !

Back
Top Bottom