Finally ridden it

Just had mine serviced along with my mate who we ride together , both have only 2mm left on the rear pads , service say they have raised an issue with BM Germany so see what happens .
Have to go back to pick up the dealers to collect new pads . This was found at 600 miles after a run in with rain , floods , wind . Glad it was not in the summer as they would only have made 300 miles lol...

That’s odd - mine were shot at 600 miles too……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick if you brake less you are faster...I got 21K miles on my brake pads but have a lowly 1250GS you would not even consider riding anymore because it is so obsolete...LOL Roll-on below 80 mph the 1250 is still faster due to lower gearing !

But maybe one of you gurlz can open it up in 6th gear and report if she still wobbles with bags and top case or not...

Just had mine serviced along with my mate who we ride together , both have only 2mm left on the rear pads , service say they have raised an issue with BM Germany so see what happens .
Have to go back to pick up the dealers to collect new pads . This was found at 600 miles after a run in with rain , floods , wind . Glad it was not in the summer as they would only have made 300 miles lol...
Too add now that at 830 miles the pads ( more one side ) are down to the metal. Not good . Pads out , drop off at the deater to send to Germany for investigation. Annoying still tho that I still have to buy 2 new sets until problem sorted , then a refund ? The 1250 did 3k on the rears and they were fine , worn but fine.
If we had done our usual 3 to 400 mile trek we would have needed recovery , the wear was that aggressive.
Both bikes TE versions , I have the Black one which as well all know is the fastest :D

Too add now that at 830 miles the pads ( more one side ) are down to the metal. Not good . Pads out , drop off at the deater to send to Germany for investigation. Annoying still tho that I still have to buy 2 new sets until problem sorted , then a refund ? The 1250 did 3k on the rears and they were fine , worn but fine.
If we had done our usual 3 to 400 mile trek we would have needed recovery , the wear was that aggressive.
Both bikes TE versions , I have the Black one which as well all know is the fastest :D
Pads aren’t that expensive did you not consider putting another brand in instead of getting OEM again to see if they lasted OK or are there no aftermarket fitments for them yet?

Think this is interesting, out of all the 1300s sold, I wonder how many have having issues with the rear pads? I would have thought if it was a mechanical issue this would have been found during the development of the bike. Thanks for keeping us updated

I don't belive in coincidences,there's definitely a problem with the pads. My 1250 had over 20,000 miles with the original pads,read into that what you will !

I don't belive in coincidences,there's definitely a problem with the pads. My 1250 had over 20,000 miles with the original pads,read into that what you will !

The pads or the rear brake dragging maybe ???

The pads will be a standard part supplied by Brembo , it would be odd if they were putty, the linked braking is a new system though, not the same as on the 1250 bikes :nenau

The pads or the rear brake dragging maybe ???

The pads will be a standard part supplied by Brembo , it would be odd if they were putty, the linked braking is a new system though, not the same as on the 1250 bikes :nenau
To answer a few questions , the OEM I have always used and never had issues, I would normally get a min of 5 to 7 k out of the rear , 5K front ish.
The rear is running free so no dragging there . On the 1250 and aslo the Multi my brakes are normally blue as I do ride hard but never had this level of wear .
I have noticed that the material on the new ones id dark , the old ones are copper so would indicate sintered .
Im at a loss at the moment but hope for a result once BM see and investigate the 2 sets of pads . Im off on two trips this year at the moment so if not sorted I would need to carry 6 sets of rear pads FFS and thats not including the weekend rides , Oh that would work to 2 sets a month ..crikey,, so not cheap
May have to think of trying the aftermarket stock , but on a new bike I will stay with the factory at this moment in time.

Last edited:
The standard rear pads on my XR 1000 are the same dark colour as you describe and not sintered,but they have done 22k miles!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

You guys brake too much...Use the gas not the brake and you dont have to worry about pad wear as much...LOL Unless its the stupid linked foot brake that causes the excessive wear...One more reason to de-link it !

Another brake wear problem here. Took my 1300GS in for its first service at 676 miles and was asked if I had been on track with the bike ! The front pads and the discs are both down to 50% apparently. Dealer tech checked and there is no binding of the brakes going on and the bike wheels freely in and out of the garage with no friction at the wheels at all. I have not been on track, have tried to keep below the 5,000 rpm running in limit and with the weather being so bad and the roads being awful, I have generally been riding much more conservatively than normal. In fact, with the strong engine braking on the 1300, I had thought that I was using the brakes much less than normal. I got at least 12,000 miles out of the last set of pads on both my 1250 GSA's. Dealer has sent an information request to BMW. I'll post an update when I get one.

Didn't we hear about brake pad wear before this as the 1200 LC was unleashed, same story.

Are the pads on the 1300gs the same as those fitted to any other bikes?. Either front or rear?. Is the rear caliper the same as the one fitted to the 1250gs?.
Reason I ask is I've looked at a couple of sites (Brembo & SBS) for pads for the 1300gs but neither list the 1300gs yet. This limits us to only being able to buy them from BMW at the moment. Sure the others will list them eventually but thought they are likely to already be the same pads as fitted to other models and that would give us a choice.

That’s odd - mine were shot at 600 miles too……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about this: software keeps the rear brake dragging until you have the first service, then whoosh....
I remember a mate with one of the first K50 1200s having rear pads replaced under warranty at its first service.

Don't these new bikes have some sort of auto braking linked to the radar system?
More or less yes, they definitely have the ability to apply some brake. But I doubt this is the cause of the rear pad wear.

I'd put money that Mark Hooton isn't a big user of the ACC and that most if not all of his mileage has been without using ACC.

Back
Top Bottom