For ALL bikes in back of vans or on trailers questions - Into / from the EU

brummy bloke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, Im off to germany in a couple of weeks in a van with 2 bikes in the back, both registered to me and my mate. Am I likely to have any issues with customs or channel tunnel with bikes on board?

========

I’ll stick this thread for a while.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
it's your property, it's your business... :) tell the nosy busy bodies to poke off...

take all the v5's and stuff with you

it's your property, it's your business... :) tell the nosy busy bodies to poke off...

take all the v5's and stuff with you
THIS ! they love paperwork so take any legal docs you have with you ,insurance licence V5s etc

THIS ! they love paperwork so take any legal docs you have with you ,insurance licence V5s etc

I had no problem last year.

Mates carrying other mates bikes as well as their own were also fine after showing v5 a and a letter of authority from the owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DC
No problem.

Documents are the key, as always, backed by a basic letter of authority, if the owner of the vehicle is not present.

Customs / police are not entirely stupid, nor do they have time to go into the minutiae of every van or car with one or a few motorbikes being carried.

Present the doc’s (if requested) and tell the truth. 99 times out of 100 it’ll all be good. The one time there is a problem, might well be when Mr Angry Bikermate, decides to mouth off….. then the local authorities will have all day to discuss the matter in great detail.

I guess it is no different from those motorhomes towing a trailer with a bike or having a bike fitted to a rear hydraulic ramp.

I guess it is no different from those motorhomes towing a trailer with a bike or having a bike fitted to a rear hydraulic ramp.

Indeed. In essence it’s the same, though one motorhome towing a single bike trailer, is a lot different to a long wheelbase Transit with maybe six bikes and one driver, with no V5’s.

The only potential problem is if the owner is not present with the bikes, if customs decide to be difficult. Andrew Dalton from White Dalton says he always uses a carnet in this situation - but with all the V5's plus a letter of authority it should be fine.

I never once in years of traveling in a MH with a motorbike on a trailer for any paperwork for the bike. Both before and after Brexit.

I never once in years of traveling in a MH with a motorbike on a trailer for any paperwork for the bike. Both before and after Brexit.
Is there a 'was asked for...' in there somewhere? Otherwise I'm struggling with what you mean

I was stopped on the Coquelles side of the Chunnel last month by French customs / border force. They were more interested in the bike than paperwork, called their other team to take a look too. 2 minutes, on my way

Back
Top Bottom