Frame slider install issue on Zed

yofi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
SW Motech frame sliders for Z900/RS https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/slider-set-for-frame-black-kawasaki-z900-16-z900rs-17

Now, off the bat you might question the look of these especially for the RS, and I might agree with you. I'd know for sure, however, if I could fit them!

My approach to fitting is pretty standard - bike on centre stand, engine supported (slightly jacked), loosen (only) the right hand side engine mount, remove left side mount.

No matter how I try, I cannot get the slider screws to engage the engine frame thread (both screws tried), whereas putting in and taking out the original bolts is clean and easy. I have had three attempts at this now, and I'm currently feeling that I have a rather expensive product that I cannot use!

I've tried seeking support from SW Motech, including sending them photos of the screws (and original screws) and a video that shows that it's simply not possible the get the slider screws to start, whereas the original bolt goes straight in and turns freely. The response from SW Motech has been, in short, 'tough'.

I can't think what else I can try, but any glimmer of hope before I take my losses and move them onto ebay would be gratefully received!

Stick a couple of pic's up
1/ Original bolts
2/ SW Motech bolts

Probably find that the SW Motech ones are either the wrong size or the wrong pitch

Do these help? They look mighty close, but the motech's simply won't catch.

Attachments

• IMG_3731.jpg
    IMG_3731.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3733.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
Not sure if its my eyes, but the new long shiny bolt looks to have a different thread pitch, and also there's no chamfer on the end.
If you where closer I'd offer my thread gauges and the use of a lathe if necessary

It's been suggested that I take one OEM bolt and one SW Motech bolt and try to mesh the threads, side by side. Hold the bolts up to the light. If they are the same pitch, little or no light will be visible between the peaks and troughs of the threads. So I'll take a look at that.

Yes, did notice that the ends were different, but very good point on the OEM bolt appearing to have a chamfer. Possibly, this makes it possible to get a start even if the frame isn't one 100% lined up, so I'll need to have another go this weekend.

May as well do that, as it seems to be non-stop bloody raining!

The Motech screws are 3 thou wider than the original. Significant amount or not?

Either way, they simply won't go in, and pitch looks the same. Going to take a trip dealers on Monday. And as far I'm concerned I won't be coming back with them, whether monies are returned or not - I couldn't even faithfully list them on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom