Metzler SPORTEC™ M9 RR

Carts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

has anybody tried these on there R1250GS? looking at new rubber for my 19 GS. I'm not looking for any more grip as I haven't managed to run out of grip on past tires juts looking for a different feel to bike, ill explained

Had original tires think Bridgestone on bike, OK but as with OME tires wore out quickly, next had 2 sets of Metzler ( 2 Rear / 1 front ) ROADTEC™ 01 SE, happy with these tires only thoughts at time front tire seem to twenty penny piece a bit in shape when worn, but got 12,000 miles out of 2 rear and one front. Next have 2 sets of continental Trail attack ( 2 rear / 1 front ) ( as recommended on this site ) these have lasted 12,000 miles as well. grip level form both tries much of a muchness at my skill level, but I felt that the Meltzer had a little more feel. The handling from both sets of tires felt the same,

now the but....

I have a couple of other bikes Duc 888 SP5 and R1100s both of these had for over 15 years. both of them were last wearing Metzler Roadtec 01 SE, now over the last few year have played around a bit with suspension and handing etc. and to be honest I've fell out with the bikes a bit, last year i have replace there tire with Metzler SPORTEC™ M9 RR and Micheline Pilot Power 2CT, these tires changed the handling of the bike for me for the better. I loved the way the bike leant over once the bike was turned in. Now i know this feeling is not to every one taste but I liked it, So this got me thinking do i try a set on the 1250, the only down side I feel will be mileage and wet weather grip, which may be a problem in Scotland ??

so any one tried a set on there R1250GS

Carts

The 9RR is a bit overkill on a GS, if you want a super 'feely' tyre try the Pirelli Scorpion, they have plenty of wet and dry grip and are perfect for a soggy UK.

Hi all

has anybody tried these on there R1250GS? looking at new rubber for my 19 GS. I'm not looking for any more grip as I haven't managed to run out of grip on past tires juts looking for a different feel to bike, ill explained

Had original tires think Bridgestone on bike, OK but as with OME tires wore out quickly, next had 2 sets of Metzler ( 2 Rear / 1 front ) ROADTEC™ 01 SE, happy with these tires only thoughts at time front tire seem to twenty penny piece a bit in shape when worn, but got 12,000 miles out of 2 rear and one front. Next have 2 sets of continental Trail attack ( 2 rear / 1 front ) ( as recommended on this site ) these have lasted 12,000 miles as well. grip level form both tries much of a muchness at my skill level, but I felt that the Meltzer had a little more feel. The handling from both sets of tires felt the same,

now the but....

I have a couple of other bikes Duc 888 SP5 and R1100s both of these had for over 15 years. both of them were last wearing Metzler Roadtec 01 SE, now over the last few year have played around a bit with suspension and handing etc. and to be honest I've fell out with the bikes a bit, last year i have replace there tire with Metzler SPORTEC™ M9 RR and Micheline Pilot Power 2CT, these tires changed the handling of the bike for me for the better. I loved the way the bike leant over once the bike was turned in. Now i know this feeling is not to every one taste but I liked it, So this got me thinking do i try a set on the 1250, the only down side I feel will be mileage and wet weather grip, which may be a problem in Scotland ??

so any one tried a set on there R1250GS

Carts
I'd check their spec' given the weight of the GS(A).. I'd be mindful of the side wall stiffness in relation to weight.

Thanks all for your input. I do agree the RR will be overkill, I was going to go for Michelin road 6 but interested if a more sporty tyre profile would feel better to me.

I know some on here have had issues with road 6. But I know plenty who have run them with no problems

I did run both pirelli and continental on on my f800gs. preferred the Pirelli but a close call, no much between them, at least to my ham fisted riding.

I do like to try different tyres just to play and understand what I like.

cheers again

Oh, I did check with manufacturer web site and all tyres are suitable for my non adventure GS

I am just trying out a set of Dunlop Mutants coming from several sets of Metzler roadtec 01s.
Very impressed with my first 100 miles.

As always, new tyres are one of the easiest improvements to any bike.

Hi Bem

agree new tyres always feel good, as many say best performance upgrade

how do you feel the mutan are different to 01s.

listening to neevsey on YouTube about tyre testing a couple of weeks ago, very interesting he talks why different experienced tester have different order of preference on tyres. Depending if they are fast road riders, had racing careers, if people like to square the corners or take large arcs etc. affect the preferences for tyres.

think I’ll gust have to try something new and see how I get on with them.

The 9RR is a bit overkill on a GS, if you want a super 'feely' tyre try the Pirelli Scorpion, they have plenty of wet and dry grip and are perfect for a soggy UK.
Along with the Conti TA3 which for me is a slightly better tyre than the Scorpion as it holds its shape better and also runs well in the heat at full lean with no issues .
Ran both in Spain ,same roads same time of year and conditions and both sets were brilliant but the TA3 was better , not by much but had better feel.
Agree with M9RR being over kill and it wont last long 1200 to 1500 miles tops before it looses the traits of a good tyre . A softer tyre like the Road 5 last less as its a duel compound with soft sides and rips up fast so could be similar .

Thanks Stick, it was partly your post that maid me try the Conti TA after the Metzler 01, to be honest on the GS I'm happy with them. Just had a look at past records on the 888 and R1100 i had Michelin Road 3/4 on before the Metzler 01, and was happy with bike handling on Michelin

I think its good to experiment with new tires part of the journey of understanding how bike handle and my personal preferences .

As will be running new tires in early spring don't feel time to experiment with 9rr as can be cold and wet in Aberdeen

So will probably go for a new set of Road 6. Also looking at Dunlop Roadsmart IV, Think these are new tires and have good feedback, and had comment that they make the bike feel " on its Toes" which may be the feel I'm after ?

any way will be feb before I fit them

I've always used cta3s and love em. New bike is comind with Tourance on so i'll give them a chance.

Thanks Stick, it was partly your post that maid me try the Conti TA after the Metzler 01, to be honest on the GS I'm happy with them. Just had a look at past records on the 888 and R1100 i had Michelin Road 3/4 on before the Metzler 01, and was happy with bike handling on Michelin

I think its good to experiment with new tires part of the journey of understanding how bike handle and my personal preferences .

As will be running new tires in early spring don't feel time to experiment with 9rr as can be cold and wet in Aberdeen

So will probably go for a new set of Road 6. Also looking at Dunlop Roadsmart IV, Think these are new tires and have good feedback, and had comment that they make the bike feel " on its Toes" which may be the feel I'm after ?

any way will be feb before I fit them
No worries , just as an extra thought , I did run a set of the Road Smart 4 and found them not good and again sold them on after a few rides as they too lacked feel and felt hard compared to the TA3 , Dunlops for me have always been a bit feeless but decided to try them , but would not again , but thats my opinion for what is worth. Im still to try the RR so will look forward to your thoughts . I hope mine comes with the Tourance Next 2 as never tried those apart from on the test bike and they felt okay but only on a short 2 hr ride mind, as long as it does not come with the ankaee adventure I will be happy.

Hi Bem

agree new tyres always feel good, as many say best performance upgrade

how do you feel the mutan are different to 01s.

listening to neevsey on YouTube about tyre testing a couple of weeks ago, very interesting he talks why different experienced tester have different order of preference on tyres. Depending if they are fast road riders, had racing careers, if people like to square the corners or take large arcs etc. affect the preferences for tyres.

think I’ll gust have to try something new and see how I get on with them.
Initial thoughts after a few hundred miles - it feels a more substantial tyre than the 01 in that I dont feel every stone in the road but it still bump steers/wanders a little over manholes and trenches, mainly from the back. Top marks for stiction (whatever that is) and it tracks directly ie goes where I point it rather than having a wait or wander.
Will be interesting to see how it is with a pillion and luggage.

Dont think you can go far wrong with Conti or Road series tyres on the GS, can get a serious wriggle on without issues.
Ran a version of the Roadsmart a few years back on my first 1200lc, msot miles were done on a late season trip to the Pyrenees. I like them, but they needed heat in them.
Conti Road Attack 3 gripped to the edges and started to shred, a little slow steering.
Michelin Road 4s were brilliant handling but punctures were frequent to the point of giving up on them.
Last tyres, due to availability, Road6 on my 1250. Impressed tbh once I got used to them again after ‘many’ sets of Road Attack3s. The Michelin I think improves turn in and agility. Doubt there is any difference in outright grip.
Having experienced the roads in Scotland, I would suggest that wear rate may be rather quick with the M9rr. Though my experience is only with the old M7rr on an S1000r. I did find them ok in the wet, though on that tour it never was more than showers and damp patches.
They do not exactly have much tread depth in comparison to the other choices.

Hi J Biker

Thanks for your input, as you say any of the mentioned tires have more than enough grip, well for me anyway. I think ill try the Road 6 as like the idea of improved turn in. The Dunlop's i mentioned i believe are a new tire this year that are significantly different to there previous spots touring tire, well so the journos say

I do understand the turn in feeling is personal, as talking to a friend who is a fast rider prefer the Metzler 01, this was because it doesn't drop in as quickly when on its side ? he tend to ride using swiping curve's and corner speed, i tend to square a corner a little :. i think this i why id prefer a tier that turns quicker

Hi J Biker

Thanks for your input, as you say any of the mentioned tires have more than enough grip, well for me anyway. I think ill try the Road 6 as like the idea of improved turn in. The Dunlop's i mentioned i believe are a new tire this year that are significantly different to there previous spots touring tire, well so the journos say

I do understand the turn in feeling is personal, as talking to a friend who is a fast rider prefer the Metzler 01, this was because it doesn't drop in as quickly when on its side ? he tend to ride using swiping curve's and corner speed, i tend to square a corner a little :. i think this i why id prefer a tier that turns quicker
Hi
I also live in Scotland and fitted m9rr to my GS 1250 , I absolutely loved them on the bike , made it feel like a big supermoto .rear lasted 2000 miles and i could not get a replacement pair , Fitted a pair of angel 2 gt which are also very good and usable in the colder months . I would definitely fit them again . I think they are superb if you want to really push on in the warmer/dryer months but dont expect big mileage , personally i would sacrifice mileage for outright grip for my personal style of riding .
Chris

Back
Top Bottom