French Alps (but maybe Germany, too)

Anyone stayed in Embrun ?

Anyway.
From Castellane we thought we would head up to Briancon for maybe a few nights but not sure yet. There are some nice rides around there. Then from there a stopover on our way to Cochem.

So I take it you won’t be riding the Route des Grandes Alpes heading south as if you were , you would already have ridden both those Cols

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I take it you won’t be riding the Route des Grandes Alpes heading south as if you were , you would already have ridden both those Cols

Yes I will be doing that.

Yes looking at map you are right. Just looked handy for heading back up to Germany.

Not sure how Briancon is handy going from Castellane to Cochem ?

You be better to ride the Route Napoleon northbound to Grenoble , which is a direct line to Cochem

71cf84a557078c1d3f090451b688c6f6.jpg

I was just about to suggest to you the same route as Arsey, Doc. It’s the way I’d go.

I was just about to suggest to you the same route as Arsey, Doc. It’s the way I’d go.

Pretty sure it’s been mentioned numerous times already in this thread - ride down the RDGA then up the RN.
It’s a no brainer !!

See post #116

Then head roughly Grenoble > Lyon > Dijon > Nancy > Luxembourg > Cochem > Hook of Holland > Home. After Grenoble, it’s pretty much motorway all the way to Luxembourg, if that’s your thing.

Or, motorway from Grenoble to Lyon to roughly Macon or a bit further north. Then hang a left to the top of the Morvan, then across country to roughly Verdun. From there, on the diagonal to Cochem.

Time available and what roads yiu want to ride, are the big deciders.

PS Do motorway from Grenoble to Lyon to Macon. It is very congested around Grenoble and then a river gets in the way. The motorway follows the river valley.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s been mentioned numerous times already in this thread - ride down the RDGA then up the RN.
It’s a no brainer !!

Ok that's what I shall do thanks.
I have 3 nights before I need to be in Cochem as we have extended our trip.

Extend your stay in Castellane then, 4 nights is too short imo to get the best of the area, 6 or 7 nights minimum really

Reactions: Doc
Beaune in Burgundy is a lovely place to spend a night in transit if following the route W&A suggest.
Visit the museum at Chateau Savigny les Beaune which has a load of cold war era aircraft and a motor museum with a nice collection of Abarth cars and various motorcycles. Tour the castle and you can have a wine tasting as it has one of the top vineyards in the area.

cheapish Brit hotel in city centre with parking https://maps.app.goo.gl/r43ypfWG1TgEUGUy5 - very close to a superb restaurant https://www.caveau-des-arches.com/

plenty of other hotel options if you want more facilities - personally, the Brit Hotel is fine for an overnight and spend what you save on some indulgent Bourgogne food in Des Arche's Cellar (book ahead).

I'm going to put all the suggested routes on MRA otherwise I'll be more confused than what I am now. :LOL: New bike will get a good run in anyway.

Beaune in Burgundy is a lovely place to spend a night in transit if following the route W&A suggest.
Visit the museum at Chateau Savigny les Beaune which has a load of cold war era aircraft and a motor museum with a nice collection of Abarth cars and various motorcycles. Tour the castle and you can have a wine tasting as it has one of the top vineyards in the area.

Yep, good suggestion (y)

I'm going to put all the suggested routes on MRA otherwise I'll be more confused than what I am now. :LOL: New bike will get a good run in anyway.

Another resource. Downloadable in multiple formats including ios/android - Register to download files (free).
Balade Moto

Anyone stayed in Embrun ?
Yes, nice hotel in the center, called hotel le Mairie, IIRC .
I‘d only stayed there one night on the way to Italy.good room and food. Only downside was parking the bike outside. They tried telling me to put it in the box :nenau
incidentally, if you head north on the route napoleon up to Tallard, you can then head east to Embrun. It’s a nice run in places.

So as advised we will probably extend our stay in Castellane. Done the routes for the RDGA & RN.
is there a particular ride I should be doing to look round the Gorges du Verdon please.

Last edited:
So as advised we will probably extend our stay in Castellane. Done the routes for the RDGA & RN.
is there a particular ride I should be doing to look round the Gorges du Verdon please.

See post 145 but to save you looking

Don’t miss the Route des Cretes . Best bit, shown in red

IMG_0220.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom