How should i cook my first Haggis?

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Flying visit to Glasgow weekend past for a birthday party and i bought this in the airport.
bbd897c4172a9e299b568c466cd0f05f.jpg

How would you suggest i cook it? My plan to cover in tin foil and put in the oven In an inch of water for 90 mins. Tatties will be mashed irish spuds and the neeps will most likely be a can of baked beans.

The picture suggests haggis can be used in more ways than i thought? Can i grill haggis?

Cheap, delicious, and pretty healthy meal!
Fab either microwaved as per instructions, or sliced and fried to get a crispy edge. Serve with mashed potato and chopped carrots & parsnips (or turnips... any root veg really!). Add a shot of whisky to your gravy or make a creamy whisky sauce to go with it. DELICIOUS. Guilty pleasure is a haggis toastie... sliced bread, cooked haggis in the middle, whack in a toastie maker or onto a frying pan and press down with a plate on each side. OMG.
5 out of 5
Written by balhamgirl
3rd November 2020

Now, fried or bbq’d? That sounds interesting. Can i treat it like a big pudding?!

Roast it with garlic and rosemary for 45 minutes, then throw it in the bin and go and buy something worth eating.
Bloody barbarian!

Local chippy has them deep fried in batter, along with similar black pudding and spam.

Food of the gods

I usually microwave the haggis, remove the covering (sheeps bladder or whatever) then mash it up and add a bit of branston pickle. My local butcher makes an excellent haggis (one of the best I've had) which I normally export to friends and relatives north of the border.

Oven is definitely best, wrapped in foil, and in a casserole dish with 1 or 2 cm of water. Gives the best consistency ;)
Love them, have them regularly, but without tatties, just with carrot/turnip mashed together and steamed broccoli on the side
Probably sacrilege, but we have gravy with ours

Last edited:
wrapped in foil (in case of burstage/spillage) then immersed in boiling water and simmered gently for about an hour. Moist and luvverly. Bashed neeps, chappit tatties and whatever else you fancy. A local butcher who shoots/rolls* and hangs his own :D might edge MacSweens tastewise.

* Many young Scots kids are told that haggises/haggi (well, the wild ones at least) have their left legs shorter than their right (or vice versa) for running easily around steep hillsides. So one way of catching them to eat is to grab one (if you're quick enough), turn it around the other way so the short legs are on the outside, it rolls down the hill to the bottom, you stick it in the pot, Bob's yer Uncle. More humane than shooting them allegedly. Enjoy.

Dry fry it (maybe with a little oil) until it's crispy, then pour over a tot or two of whisky cook it off then serve.

Back
Top Bottom