I had a happy accident

A shame it’s a write off, doesn’t look too bad at first glance ? Glad you aren’t too badly hurt and can replace the bike.

It’s a GSA all day long for me, just for the confidence I get with fuel range when touring. You can still hoon about on them when the opportunity arises, and with less fuel in the tank they can be pretty nimble, we don’t all ride with 30+ litres onboard all the time despite the image.

It doesn't look too bad but its a Cat B, so is to be broken for parts and the frame crushed, so there must be some frame damage under the bodywork.

My friend has already joked that it will be like taking a fuel tanker on tour next year, his S1000XR will be 2-up with metal panniers so I might be topping his bike up between fuel stops :ROFLMAO:

As for myself, I'm healing okay. It's left a mark but I'm lucky to have just a scar on my shin to show for this.

Good to see you are healing. So my tour completed. 2 up Spain / France and back from Rotterdam. The F900XR performed perfectly. You have to change gear more often and rev a little higher fully loaded. But its not a problem with the auto shifter. The wife was happy on the back with a cheap air hawk copy and a top box for a back rest. PS Stonesie do you still have the shad panniers, and if so are they SH35 or SH36

They were 36's but have been sold along with the mounting brackets. I'm happy the XR worked for you, it's a great bike.

Good that you're OK & sh1t happens!

I went to the dealer today and there it was waiting for me, already prepped and just needing some final bit's of paperwork before I could take it home... But I'm having it delivered to Supreme Coat in Dronfield for a paint protection kit and ceramic coating.

I fitted a paint protection kit to my XR myself and was never fully happy with the installation, there were marks in the paint before the film went on and I'm not very practiced in fitting it so for the most expensive thing I have ever bought (Not managed to get a mortgage yet) I will let the professionals handle it.. I found a discount code so even with the extra work I'm paying less than the standard price :cool:

I did bring the panniers home, and should have the bike on Wednesday evening.

Then the tinkering begins.

mCS17Y0.jpg

0avrXUD.jpg

After the happy accident came an unhappy one, on 09/09 I had a crash with a Yaris, I don't remember hitting it as such.
I remember seeing it then being on the ground feeling like something had tried to rip me in half, 7 weeks on I still get the odd pang of kidney pain and my leg is almost healed from a nice 4 stitch cut, I also had a bruise around my left temple and the helmet fractured my right collar bone... So I got off lightly really.

4lR8GXu.jpg

9PYgbND.jpg

The bike has been written off and transported to Newbury, the accident happened near Moffatt.
I had a trip down to Newbury to get my accessories and mods off the bike before the insurance pays out.

So, what next?
I did a lot of thinking and re-thinking then decided to order another GS, an adventure this time since I have a lot of farkles for a 1250 and managed to make the financials work so that my monthly outgoings are about even, higher insurance balanced out by lower PCP payments.

It should be in my garage in a week or 2.
Bad luck chap.
I would have bought the bike off the insurance and just repaired the damage. 4th Dimension running the show by any chance?
I had a motorway off, bike was written off even though it was only the 'sticky outy bits' that were damaged and a small dent in the tank. Got a full pay out for the value of the bike, bought it back and repaired it myself and had it on the road fully repaired for £1800 (1150ADV), that was cost of buy back and the parts installed. I used her a bit, went to Orkeny for a week camping, but my injuries meant it was too heavy and I sold it for £4500.

Back in the 80s I did down through France to Spain, across to N Africa and rode the full coast back through Greece on a Morini 3 1/2. Did the whole trip in 3 weeks.

Bad luck chap.
I would have bought the bike off the insurance and just repaired the damage. 4th Dimension running the show by any chance?
How did you guess :ROFLMAO:

They recorded the bike as a Cat B and told me the frame was damaged so it's probably been crushed by now.

The Rallye is home and was really nice to ride, despite it being 1°C and my street being iced over, a friendly Amazon driver offered to help me push it onto my drive so I accepted the help, tried to give him a tip for not letting the bike tip but he refused.

I should be able to get it out tomorrow for a bit, if not then I will start fitting some parts to it like the Weiser Wizards on the rear.

My friends are already making plans for a trip down to the Pecos next year, ferry to Bilbao then possibly ride home through France, possibly back on the ferry. The GS will be very good for a trip like that, then the following year we will be back to Lake Como, Just need to avoid wild Toyota's on this one.

Attachments

• 408013903_18248682208225468_8953943868148325569_n.jpg
    408013903_18248682208225468_8953943868148325569_n.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 408022700_18248682217225468_2529301734344900321_n.jpg
    408022700_18248682217225468_2529301734344900321_n.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
How did you guess :ROFLMAO:

They recorded the bike as a Cat B and told me the frame was damaged so it's probably been crushed by now.

The Rallye is home and was really nice to ride, despite it being 1°C and my street being iced over, a friendly Amazon driver offered to help me push it onto my drive so I accepted the help, tried to give him a tip for not letting the bike tip but he refused.

I should be able to get it out tomorrow for a bit, if not then I will start fitting some parts to it like the Weiser Wizards on the rear.

My friends are already making plans for a trip down to the Pecos next year, ferry to Bilbao then possibly ride home through France, possibly back on the ferry. The GS will be very good for a trip like that, then the following year we will be back to Lake Como, Just need to avoid wild Toyota's on this one.
June on Como - San Giovanni firework display is something to behold. Enjoy the new bike and good health to do so. Glad it sounds as though you have made a full recovery.

June on Como - San Giovanni firework display is something to behold. Enjoy the new bike and good health to do so. Glad it sounds as though you have made a full recovery.
My friend is from a village just east of the lake and says I would need a month there as all the mountain villages have their summer festivals, it sounds like a great time.

Back to the bike and I did a short 60 miles, at a much more reasonable 8°c I'm starting to get a feel for it after 3 months off a bike. The weather protection is crazy, 90 miles now on crappy winter roads and my visor is still clean... Might need the short Rallye screen for summer.

My friend is from a village just east of the lake and says I would need a month there as all the mountain villages have their summer festivals, it sounds like a great time.

Back to the bike and I did a short 60 miles, at a much more reasonable 8°c I'm starting to get a feel for it after 3 months off a bike. The weather protection is crazy, 90 miles now on crappy winter roads and my visor is still clean... Might need the short Rallye screen for summer.
How much further is a long 60 miles then? :D

Well I have had a couple of electrical gremlins on the bike with constant SOS system warnings and low oil messages despite it being full.
All sorted by a software update on the first service 👍

Then yesterday I was just about to wash it and saw a cut in the middle of the rear tyre, poking a bit of cut off zip tie in there confirmed it's all the way to the cords, new tyre required.

Attachments

• IMG20240205132454.jpg
    IMG20240205132454.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20240205132528.jpg
    IMG20240205132528.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20240205142359.jpg
    IMG20240205142359.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom