It’s sending me around in circles

Why not use your Samsung S10 for that? Unless of course yiu enjoy carting around a Garmin device. If the latter, crack on.
Only the fact that the garmin was still mounted on my last big tour. Leave the route alone on the phone, divert for petrol, come back on route.
The garmin has now been removed though. Glitchy, unreliable bit of kit.

Great views guys, I agree, they appear to not give a f*** about this segment, but they must spend a significant amount on R&D to produce the XT / XT2 and then ruin it with stupid bugs that should be easy to fix, which makes little sense....

....Other than they probably had an R&D budget and timescale to get it on the market, employed a bunch of contractors to do a lot of the work and then despite the dev team saying "its not ready yet" they went ahead and launched it, sacked off all the people with the skills and knowledge to fix it etc. - Typicla big firm mentality / stupidity (I have worked in at least a dozen global firms with 100k+ Staff and they all do this kind of stuff, spend £5 million on something thats at best 50% correct, when £5.1 million would of had it at 90%+)

The point on loyal customer base is a good one, they are now pissing off the die hards that want a proper nav device, MRA navigation outperforms my XT in every way on the core function of either getting from A-B (put in location and hit go) or following a complex route.

Obviously no update from Garmin now, I think as well as my report they must have hundreds of people picking up on the flaw with GPX 2.0 (if not thousands) so I expect they won't fix it, although they kind of promote it as a feature - and one I really wanted to use.

The crazy part is this should be an easy fix, they have a route engine that works, but cocks up in this scenario, the fact changing back and forth on route options gets a correct calculation shows they can corrrecty calculate, the fact the missed shape points work prior to this recalc proves they have code that handles this properly too - so its a case of using the correct subroutines they alreayd have when importing and navigating a GPX 2.0 with Via and Shape points.

If they do not fix this I will 100% never buy another Garmin, nor will "we fixed it on the XT3" be acceptable as they will have proven anything not working on the XT3 will undoubtedly require purchasing an XT-4, and so it goes on.

If anything I will buy a ruggedized Android device and run MRA on that next time around, and for now just use gpx 1.1 - assuming they work OK, need to do some more complex routes in spring, but local testing implies they work with laods of wayppoints OK.

Great views guys, I agree, they appear to not give a f*** about this segment, but they must spend a significant amount on R&D to produce the XT / XT2 and then ruin it with stupid bugs that should be easy to fix, which makes little sense....

....Other than they probably had an R&D budget and timescale to get it on the market, employed a bunch of contractors to do a lot of the work and then despite the dev team saying "its not ready yet" they went ahead and launched it, sacked off all the people with the skills and knowledge to fix it etc. - Typicla big firm mentality / stupidity (I have worked in at least a dozen global firms with 100k+ Staff and they all do this kind of stuff, spend £5 million on something thats at best 50% correct, when £5.1 million would of had it at 90%+)

The point on loyal customer base is a good one, they are now pissing off the die hards that want a proper nav device, MRA navigation outperforms my XT in every way on the core function of either getting from A-B (put in location and hit go) or following a complex route.

Obviously no update from Garmin now, I think as well as my report they must have hundreds of people picking up on the flaw with GPX 2.0 (if not thousands) so I expect they won't fix it, although they kind of promote it as a feature - and one I really wanted to use.

The crazy part is this should be an easy fix, they have a route engine that works, but cocks up in this scenario, the fact changing back and forth on route options gets a correct calculation shows they can corrrecty calculate, the fact the missed shape points work prior to this recalc proves they have code that handles this properly too - so its a case of using the correct subroutines they alreayd have when importing and navigating a GPX 2.0 with Via and Shape points.

If they do not fix this I will 100% never buy another Garmin, nor will "we fixed it on the XT3" be acceptable as they will have proven anything not working on the XT3 will undoubtedly require purchasing an XT-4, and so it goes on.

If anything I will buy a ruggedized Android device and run MRA on that next time around, and for now just use gpx 1.1 - assuming they work OK, need to do some more complex routes in spring, but local testing implies they work with laods of wayppoints OK.
You're forgetting they 'give' lots of these units to Youtubers who then will say great things despite knowing its shite so they continue to get free things.
Hence a new generation of people buy them and live with the issues

Last edited:

So use GPX 1.1 which is what I use. Why should Garmin give a toss about a format for import from a third party into their device. Their device works fine for point to point, which is what the vast majority of users, use it for.

MRA Navigation is ok, but it still kills the battery when using HERE maps on phones, so until they sort that out, it is not really fit for purpose.

So use GPX 1.1 which is what I use. Why should Garmin give a toss about a format for import from a third party into their device. Their device works fine for point to point, which is what the vast majority of users, use it for.

MRA Navigation is ok, but it still kills the battery when using HERE maps on phones, so until they sort that out, it is not really fit for purpose.
Garmin came up with the shape / via point stuff with GPX 2.0, so they come up with a new fature that needs GPX 2.0, announce the feature as something good that competitors do not have, then it does not work, so they should give a toss and bloody fix it!

What they should do and what they will do may differ.

Need to test GPX2 with the recalc trick more fully, I think this will be OK and means I can still use laods of waypoints to shape and not have them in the list on device (handy for restarting route at point X etc) and the auto-recalc to next Via is a shape point is missed.

If that fails I will just use GPX 1.1.

As for MRA not being fit for purpose, you could just power phone from bike ;-)

I use MRA a lot in my car with the phone powered and it works very well, I have mates who use it on bikes and like it, but decent mounts with power and anti-vibe are not cheap, but you cannot say MRA is not fit for purpose then they just do the software that work well, the ability to power / charge your phone is certainly not their problem.

Garmin came up with the shape / via point stuff with GPX 2.0, so they come up with a new fature that needs GPX 2.0, announce the feature as something good that competitors do not have, then it does not work, so they should give a toss and bloody fix it!

What they should do and what they will do may differ.

Need to test GPX2 with the recalc trick more fully, I think this will be OK and means I can still use laods of waypoints to shape and not have them in the list on device (handy for restarting route at point X etc) and the auto-recalc to next Via is a shape point is missed.

If that fails I will just use GPX 1.1.

As for MRA not being fit for purpose, you could just power phone from bike ;-)

I use MRA a lot in my car with the phone powered and it works very well, I have mates who use it on bikes and like it, but decent mounts with power and anti-vibe are not cheap, but you cannot say MRA is not fit for purpose then they just do the software that work well, the ability to power / charge your phone is certainly not their problem.
You must be lucky if you use MRA in the car, as when I use it in the car, my iPhone even when charging can not keep the battery charged and it still runs down. This is a known problem on the MRA forums and the MRA team are working hard to fix, it is an issue with the HERE maps, so it is not just me who has the battery running down issue. So I will stick with my view, it is not fit for purpose, Waze doesn't run the battery down on the iPhone.

As per GPX 1.1 or 1.2, think I must have misunderstood, I assumed (maybe wrongly) that 1.1 or 1.whatever was MRA format to transfer, various routes etc to the garmin device. Now if Garmin has issues accepting the format, then its a problem with the Garmin device interpreting the format being passed by MRA, so as it is not their device passing the format to their own Nav, I can't see why they would be that bothered about if it works or not.

Garmin came up with the shape / via point stuff with GPX 2.0, so they come up with a new fature that needs GPX 2.0, announce the feature as something good that competitors do not have
What is this GPX 2.0 of which you speak? 1.1 is current.

I don't know either.
There is an option in the MRA webpage to save as a gpx 1.2
Do you have MRA? Can you save a route as 1.2 and look at the file.
It should start with something like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<gpx xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" version="1.1" creator="EMTAC BTGPS Trine II DataLog Dump 1.0 - http://www.ayeltd.biz" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">
<metadata>
<name>GPS Receiver track log</name>

GPX are only XML files and XML is at version 1 which predates GPX.

Do you have MRA? Can you save a route as 1.2 and look at the file.
It should start with something like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<gpx xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" version="1.1" creator="EMTAC BTGPS Trine II DataLog Dump 1.0 - http://www.ayeltd.biz" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">
<metadata>
<name>GPS Receiver track log</name>

GPX are only XML files and XML is at version 1 which predates GPX.
I do have MRA - yes.

I will have a look tomorrow - I think your knowledge may be greater than mine :beerjug:

What is this GPX 2.0 of which you speak? 1.1 is current.
I always use 1.2 when I transfer my MRA route to my XT - One of the advantages of using 1.2 is that when your route is being transferred to your unit it is not recalculated. The XT is forced to use the routing you have specified - if you use 1.1 then the route is invariably recalculated on transfer. This is because when the route is transferred using 1.2, the XT will use the track for the routing whereas, if using 1.1 then the unit uses the Waypoints & shaping points to calculate the route (y)

I always use 1.2 when I transfer my MRA route to my XT
Then I would suggest MRA has some bespoke nonsense going on to fix their own errors.
Look inside the file and see what the headers say.
There is no GPX1.2

I think there are two or maybe three people, possibly talking at cross-purposes here.

:popcorn

I think there are two or maybe three people, possibly talking at cross-purposes here.

:popcorn
I meant GPX 1.2

Screenshot 2024-01-06 162117.jpg

My understanding is the this differentiation is not available in gpx V1.1 (As implied by MRA stating clearly V1.2 is needed for this functionality)

AFAIK, neither MRA or Tom Tom distinguish and all waypoints are created equal (i.e. Via points)

Now if I was simply using the wrong file format I wuld expect Garmin support to be able to point that out prior to agreeing with me on the odd behaviour and submitting the issue to the development team?

Anyway, I expect nothing less than radio silence from Garmin moving forward (nothing new there) as they never have seemed to give a shit about how buggy their systems are.

Back
Top Bottom