Left head wiped out-Advice needed

I replaced the worn camchain on my old Yamaha Thundercat YZF600R years ago and the new camchain was supplied split and provided with a peenable pin in the kit from Yamaha. Replacement was the same method as you used to link old and new chains and draw the new chain through the crank. The old chain could be bent in a full semicircle sideways it was so badly worn.

I'm surprised BMW don't supply new split camchains with peenable links as standard ?
I suspect because BMW would rather just sell you a new bike, or profit from the "big labor" associated with doing a complete, out-of-frame tear-down and rebuild necessitated by installing a one piece continuous cam chain. So we are clear, peening (aka staking....same thing) a small chain like this in situ isn't easy, nor totally trustworthy (per several industry experts). It's very easy not to do quite enough and have it later fail, or over-do it and create a stiff link that will cause the sprockets and cam rails to wear prematurely. I would much prefer a clip-type master link for a job like this, but again, I was unable to find one the right size. If not for my portable MIG (to tack the pin-ends afterwards for good measure), I wouldn't trust this job at all.

If not for my portable MIG (to tack the pin-ends afterwards for good measure), I wouldn't trust this job at all.

When I did my camchain on my YZF it went on to do another 30k before I sold it, I see no reason why the peened link I did wouldn't last the life of the replacement camchain?

A spot of MIG is good as belt and braces providing it doesn't affect the hardness or durability of the chain link. I'm sure it will go on to do mega mileage now its repaired.

When I did my camchain on my YZF it went on to do another 30k before I sold it, I see no reason why the peened link I did wouldn't last the life of the replacement camchain?

A spot of MIG is good as belt and braces providing it doesn't affect the hardness or durability of the chain link. I'm sure it will go on to do mega mileage now its repaired.
Just didn't have complete faith in the link after driving the pin out, pushing it back in and then peening afterwards. It was probably fine, but ya, I took the belt and suspenders approach to be safe rather than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom