Official map( Yorkshire Edition)

I laugh when we see signs on M6 saying The North, then we get (where I live) The Far North. Beyond The Wall

The North…
“Cradle of Christianity”
Just off the map, top of the page 😂

An old acquaintance got slightly lost coming home from an offroad event on the Sheffield side of the Pennines. He didn't have a map, but saw a sign saying "North", and reasoned that would be closer to home as he lived in Manchester, which is in the 'North'. By all account he went a long way North before realising his error.

On the subject of regional differences, one of the most controversial topics I encounter when visiting my team in East Yorkshire is the pronunciation of the word 'scone'.

Obviously, it's correctly pronounced 'scone', however they insist on saying 'scone'. I've never known anything so innocuous to cause such virulent arguments. Light touch paper and stand well back... :D

Attachments

• IMG_20161206_195657.jpg
    IMG_20161206_195657.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 25
On the subject of regional differences, one of the most controversial topics I encounter when visiting my team in East Yorkshire is the pronunciation of the word 'scone'.

Obviously, it's correctly pronounced 'scone', however they insist on saying 'scone'. I've never known anything so innocuous to cause such virulent arguments. Light touch paper and stand well back... :D
You’ve hit on the real issue here. Yorkshire is in fact a number of principalities shoe horned into a county to fit the current flavour of government boundaries. For example the contrast between the sharp guttural tones of the ‘dee dahs’ in Sheffield are nothing like the nasal intonations in the wastelands East of Doncaster. West Yorkshire is different again and North Yorkshire, real North Yorkshire, lends itself more to the classic Yorkshire accent interspersed with the posh delivery of the county set and resettled southerners.

Over many years working in South Yorkshire I grew to be able to differentiate between the denizens of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc.

I love just east of Bradford and it’s definitely NOT scone rhymes with cone around here

You’ve hit on the real issue here. Yorkshire is in fact a number of principalities shoe horned into a county to fit the current flavour of government boundaries. For example the contrast between the sharp guttural tones of the ‘dee dahs’ in Sheffield are nothing like the nasal intonations in the wastelands East of Doncaster. West Yorkshire is different again and North Yorkshire, real North Yorkshire, lends itself more to the classic Yorkshire accent interspersed with the posh delivery of the county set and resettled southerners.

Over many years working in South Yorkshire I grew to be able to differentiate between the denizens of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster etc.
Completely disagree. The Pennine/West Riding accent (or slight variations thereof) extend all the way from Sheffield to the Lakes, including parts of Lancashire around Lancaster. This is the archetypal Northern accent.

Completely disagree. The Pennine/West Riding accent (or slight variations thereof) extend all the way from Sheffield to the Lakes, including parts of Lancashire around Lancaster. This is the archetypal Northern accent.
Not if you're a Geordie :D:D:D

Not if you're a Geordie :D:D:D
I meant the Northern accent on many TV shows like Game of Thrones and All Creatures Great and Small. The North East accent starting at the north east part of the North Riding and becoming more incomprehensible as you head towards the Scotttish border is something completely different :love:

I meant the Northern accent on many TV shows like Game of Thrones and All Creatures Great and Small. The North East accent starting at the north east part of the North Riding and becoming more incomprehensible as you head towards the Scotttish border is something completely different :love:

Very good :D:D:D

But my understanding is it's a hangover from the Vikings. :thumb

I love just east of Bradford and it’s definitely NOT scone rhymes with cone around here
Are you sure? Really sure? On my map Haworth is West of Bradford. Probably more North West but definitely not East.

Back
Top Bottom