Ouch! New loom needed.

Fuses

Appart from the starter wire, there's another plus from the battery.
Puting a fuse on the starter is not an option as to the large current it draws.
There are simple round devices for a simple round fuse, to add to a length of wire. Butbetter still, is using modern fuses, there are even automtic ones. I can't direct you to where to look for it in England, but here one canfind it at automotive electric suplyers. I got it from the Hella importer in Israel.
ATB, Miky

i got no prob with finding fuses. as i said i only had quick look at diagram, not bike.

only one wire shown from the battery to starter then on to diode board.

i'll have a better look. ta.

cookie,

I did not check the diagram, and as I'm not the original owner I dont know exactly what was done to the bike, and I do have this lead.
However, the subject of protection only to the lighting was pointed to me by someone here who works on nothing but BMW airheads for the last 20 years. He told me that he had to fix 3 burnt down bike during his career so far and that he always adds a fuse to bikes that are under his care.

Mike O said:
Howard,

how long did the job take, beginning to end? I had the tank off my Adv yesterday and the idea of replacing the loom would scare the poo out of me......

Mike:)

It's difficult to say. I had stripped the bike down to discover what the problem was.
To take the old loom off and replace the new one took around three to four hours. Bear in mind that I was making it up as I went. i.e. I worked from the back to the front of the bike, plugging in things as I came to them.
Don't be too concerned. Every plug was different to the next one, so it was impossible to plug things in wrong.
At £245 for loom and ignition switch it was dear enough without having to pay another £200 in labour charge.

Re: Amazing BMW!

mikyh said:
It's adviseable to add a fuse to the main plus wire (not the heavy gauge that goes direct to the starter!), it's realy easy.
Miky

It's all very well putting a fuse in, but if the loom's shagged it might just as well go up in smoke.

Bloomin Loom

If this initial story, not the lost in the smorgas board fiasco, worries you about wiring looms shorting to earth ( electrickery is basically lazy and so will always take the shortest path to earth); take heart. Fit in-line fuses or better still visit a car scrap yard (best place for cars really) and swipe a few resettable fuses Vauxhall Astra Carlton etc. or grab a few fuse boxes these normally have about 15-20 fuses in aren't that big and you should be able to fit it in somewhere on the bike. Some one suggested a big f##ck-off fuse at the battery, fine but the starter draws upwards of 70-90 amps at starter lock up torque so that will not help if your wirings cooking under the tank (it won't blow in time) Another way to ward off unwanted short circuits is to inspect the wiring harness thoroughly at regular intervals say every 6months if the bikes used a lot, less if the useage is lower.
There's nothing like preventative maintenace rather than damage limitation.
The info on wiring looms failing at the steering head is down to work-hardening due to continual back and forth movement in normal piloting of the bike down the road. To prevent this problem, which is going to happen to any wire under these circumstances always ensure that the loom is as free to move as possible in the area of the steering, keep this area clean and well ventilated (heat hardens wiring quickly to) if you think the wires are stiffer than last time you wiggled them then consider changing some of the loom, you do not need to change the whole thing but cut out the hard/stiff lengths (steady guys steady) one at a time and use good quality wiring connectors for peace of mind. £ 5-7 on bits is a saving over the cost of a new loom.
Ironic really but the loom will probably cause trouble a few months outside the warranty expiring.

Re: Bloomin Loom

The Mechanic said:
Another way to ward off unwanted short circuits is to inspect the wiring harness thoroughly at regular intervals say every 6months
This would be a major strip down of the bike. Also how do you inspect the wiring inside the wrapping that they put around the wires????? Not a very practical idea.

The info on wiring looms failing at the steering head is down to work-hardening due to continual back and forth movement in normal piloting of the bike down the road.
My loom does not move at all with the steering. It is strapped to the fairing frame. The wiring to the switch gear which does move is still OK.

Sorry to be so negative.

Took a pic of the extra fusebox

Attachment not allowed!?

bblofty's bike got on fire.

Could it be something wrong with the loom system?

I can't get this off my mind.

Liv:confused:

Back
Top Bottom