Protyre

GrumpySimes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone used Protyre in Portsmouth? The prices look competitive but I can’t find reviews from motorcyclists.

I've used the Micheldever branch previously and they were fine. It'll all depend on the person doing the fitting whether it's good or not.

We have used them in Salisbury and at Micheldever, no problems

Micheldever/Protyre seem to own 90% of all the tyre places in the south of england, even the ones that appear to be independent. I've found the ones i've used pretty good, although Protyre in Poole did fit a tubed tyre for me once that was caught under the bead and pictured 150 miles later in spain :rolleyes:

I do my own again now.

I used Protyre in Portsmouth a few months ago for a Tmax rear tyre, no dramas but a bit of a wait as their only bike tyre fitter had gone out on a late lunch break. An affable cheap, he did a decent enough job of fitting said tyre, balanced it manually on a set of rollers rather than a computerised machine.

I used to be both a friend and customer of Russ Tappenden who owned Russ’s Tyres but stopped going there after he sold the business as prices went up and the service was no longer as good.

I just had the very same Tmax tyre puncture repaired by Dimons of Gosport the scooter dealer last week following a personal recommendation and they are really nice guys, a proper old-school bike shop and will now be getting my business.

My local Protyre depot in Fareham stopped doing bike tyres a couple of years ago, I have no idea why.

I used Protyre in Portsmouth a few months ago for a Tmax rear tyre, no dramas but a bit of a wait as their only bike tyre fitter had gone out on a late lunch break. An affable cheap, he did a decent enough job of fitting said tyre, balanced it manually on a set of rollers rather than a computerised machine.

I used to be both a friend and customer of Russ Tappenden who owned Russ’s Tyres but stopped going there after he sold the business as prices went up and the service was no longer as good.

I just had the very same Tmax tyre puncture repaired by Dimons of Gosport the scooter dealer last week following a personal recommendation and they are really nice guys, a proper old-school bike shop and will now be getting my business.

My local Protyre depot in Fareham stopped doing bike tyres a couple of years ago, I have no idea why.
Russ was bought out by Protyre. Moved to Horndean tyres. Then went back on his own at the link I posted above. Been there a fair few years now.

I had a set of tyres fitted at old Russ's place a few weeks ago

They couldn't balance the rear Tourance on the machine, as they didn't have the right mandrill , so it was dot aligned, and they were busy, so it took almost an hour to do the the pair

Dimons have been on Forton road for over 40 years lol, i remember insuring my ex wifes Honda Melody through them, Devitt did a step through policy £50pa All scribed in triplicate on a big pad

No stupid mods, garaged, security, DNA samples, questions , Just name address, riders and premium thank you

How times change

I had a set of tyres fitted at old Russ's place a few weeks ago

They couldn't balance the rear Tourance on the machine, as they didn't have the right mandrill , so it was dot aligned, and they were busy, so it took almost an hour to do the the pair

Dimons have been on Forton road for over 40 years lol, i remember insuring my ex wifes Honda Melody through them, Devitt did a step through policy £50pa All scribed in triplicate on a big pad

No stupid mods, garaged, security, DNA samples, questions , Just name address, riders and premium thank you

How times change
I know Dimons well.
Are you sure you went to Russ’s place by the cash and carry?

Last time I went to Russ’s, the tyre fitter with the ear stretchers (Jack If I recall correctly) who used to be his apprentice did nothing but slag off Russ which annoyed me, I thought it highly disrespectful.

He told me Russ had sold the business to some bloke who knew nothing about tyres and had upped all their prices.

I won’t be going back

Last time I went to Russ’s, the tyre fitter with the ear stretchers (Jack If I recall correctly) who used to be his apprentice did nothing but slag off Russ which annoyed me, I thought it highly disrespectful.

He told me Russ had sold the business to some bloke who knew nothing about tyres and had upped all their prices.

I won’t be going back
Well we use Russ for our blood bike fleet and have had nothing but excellent service from the chap who runs it now

Back
Top Bottom