R1150R - How long for oil coolers/pipes to be warm

modman

Reaction score
Reassembling my R1150R after some work and have the engine running now and have connected the two oil coolers back up. How long should it be running/idling for before the oil coolers and/or the pipes feeding them start to get warm? I gave it about 10 mins and they didn't seem to have warmed up and since I've never paid any attention to it in the past I wondered if it was normal.

Thanks, how long does it normally take to get there? No temp gauge on the 1150R is all, sadly.

10-15 mins riding . and some tick-over afterwards , it has to be hot enough to open the thermostat in the engine . so probs 80+ deg c.

Thanks, I'll have another look later. Don't think the 1150R has a thermostat like the GS (At least I didn't notice one and can't see one on the parts fische)

Thank you! Typically I was looking at oil cooler pipes and missed that one. Appreciated.

Its always a fraught time when you have rebuilt / overhauled something and are starting it up

As long as you have oil in it and it isn't knocking Like Cozy on the drumkit it "Should " be fine

Just check the oil level when you have done the first long run

Leave it on the sidestand for 5 mins after you get back and then hoik it onto the centre stand and wait a couple of mins

First time out may top the rads up and leave you in the lower 1/3rd which is absolutely fine

Much appreciated. With no temp gauge and the excitement of the first start up I was just anxious. Oil levels all look good so will follow your advice when I get it to a rideable state. The engine was split in half and completely rebuilt with a few new bits too. Just finishing the ABS removal and associated wiring and things, then putting the other bits back together before its first ride in about 6 years. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom