RAC breakdown - read the small print

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If anyone has RAC breakdown and is relying on it for a European trip, read the small print! I have their personal breakdown cover, with Mrs Berin added as a family member - it's £200 odd a year. Covers me and Mrs Berin in any vehicle - sounds good.

But, for the European cover, it's limited to one claim per journey. I'd assumed that meant for example from Calais to LeMans - one journey. LeMans to Bordeaux - one journey.

But it's not. Your journey starts when you leave the UK, and finishes when you return, and during that period you can make one call out, whether the journey is France for the day of 90 days travelling around Europe.

So, pretty useless. 2 punctures your over, and have to pay the call out fee.

That depends on which RAC policy you bought, surely?

Q. Can I claim more than once?
With RAC Comprehensive Plus single trip and annual cover you have unlimited claims.
However, if you have Comprehensive cover you can only make 1 claim in the UK and 1 claim in Europe per trip, up to a maximum of 3 claims per policy period.

That depends on which RAC policy you bought, surely?
As far as I can see, it's the top cover possible, UK and Europe, annual. There were no other options to add.The UK cover seems fine - unlimited call outs, onward travel, etc.etc.
Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 11.57.05.png

The cover options you quoted is for vehicle cover, not personal cover. So correct, it does depend which policy, but this is the only European policy add on for Personal cover.
Personal is better for us as we have a few cars and bikes, but the European cover isn't adequate. Even the £500 a year open only covers one breakdown per trip!

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 12.06.05.png

The cover options you quoted is for vehicle cover, not personal cover. So correct, it does depend which policy, but this is the only European policy add on for Personal cover.
Personal is better for us as we have a few cars and bikes, but the European cover isn't adequate. Even the £500 a year open only covers one breakdown per trip!

View attachment 281210
The only way to get more than 1 claim per trip is standalone, comprehensive plus. £96 for 9 days.
Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 12.15.12.png

I learn recently that punctures do not automatically mean that you can get transported all the way home, it's limited to 20 miles max to a garage or repair shop. This is a bit of a pain if you have 'tubed' tyres and get a puncture a long way from home on a Sunday night. You may have to get overnight accommodation until Monday morning, the bike will be taken to your hotel and then onward the following day to a garage. I had a very long telephone conversation with the RAC about this - eventually a manager said that if a garage or repair ship could not be found within 20 miles, they would get me home, but that is not in writing.

P.S. This level of cover was £172. Read the small print before compromising on cost!

The RAC didn't do well in this month's Which? assessment of breakdown insurers...

The RAC didn't do well in this month's Which? assessment of breakdown insurers...
And therein lies the problem!

They were a breakdown and recovery service, which clearly through some unknown ways evolved into an insurance policy!

And therein lies the problem!

They were a breakdown and recovery service, which clearly through some unknown ways evolved into an insurance policy!

there was always an agreement between the RAC and its members defining services

the transition to a regulated insurance product would have been a decision by a government at some point

...and I found out last week that they won't come out if your car's not taxed. Didn't know that.

...and I found out last week that they won't come out if your car's not taxed. Didn't know that.
Yep that was one of the first questions they asked me when I needed them, I was taxed so no problem. It's the same as everything these days, you have to be squeaky clean or it might be used as a get out.

same with MOT if applicable

bit of a bummer if you have Homestart and find your SORNed vehicle won't start just as you want to take it for an MOT before being able to tax it.

Back
Top Bottom